IJN Yamato by RGL - FINISHED - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Next is applying the forcastle so I can add the fairleads. Once that is complete I can replaced the deadlights that fell off and a couple of eyelets, then it is ready for painting, but I will start off other stuff first. Back to work this afternoon so delays expected.

post-253-0-32495700-1477613617_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-68020900-1477613633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

nice.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

That's some impressive detail for a ship at that scale.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Marvelous details, Greg. So you've been running around with 350 meters of cable on your back and a blowtorch... must be devastating on your physique ... it does look great though ...

I won't be working with a carpet underneath when working with these small items. Either a sheet, or concrete/wood

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

truly awesome progress Greg........I use the same method of extrusion with filler.......tiny nozzle ;)    so neat to have the extra hull......you can try your ideas before you commit them to the original ship  ;)   I'm just lov'in the extra detail,  the etch lends to the hull.   such a great build  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Moving on to something different, the main guns. post-253-0-63427200-1478224738_thumb.jpgLots of internal (irrelevant) detail, and Tamiya provides some etch as well. post-253-0-15133900-1478224749_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-43521200-1478224762_thumb.jpgGoes together very simply. The kit supplied AA guns on the roof will be replaced with Pontos.

There is a heap of detail I will not add until after painting, such as ladders, stanchions, AA guns, but first up I had to add the exercise aiming device which is provided by Tamiya but not referred to in the instructions but in every other reference book. I used stretched sprue as the cables. post-253-0-93576200-1478225024_thumb.jpg

The handrails were an absolute nightmare as they are 1mm high, and were a full days work to add then 50% of them full off. Luckily Pontos gives you extras.

The blast bags, there are some provided with the kit, but are very bland. 1 is the tamiya barrel and blast bag, 2 and 3 are the pontos provided bags being elevated and flat. post-253-0-13376800-1478225007_thumb.jpg

For anyone building this kit, there are lots of extra provided if you stuff up, but the secret is to drill out the front of the bag, the widen the back end as much as possible so the barrels will slide into the breach and allow you to keep the base of the bags within the correct area on the hull piece. post-253-0-72579300-1478225285_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-62495200-1478225297_thumb.jpg

There is a heap of detail to go, but I will not even cut the off the fret until I am ready to paint. The local supermarket's cheap tupperware is now their home for a while.

Greg

Those Pontos blast bags look a lot better Greg; although the Tamiya turret details look reasonable sharp also.

cheers

Pat

Looking great Greg.  Brass/metal barrels look so much weightier and more realistic than the plastic ones.

As Pat says the blast bags look good.  There are no aftermarket blast bags for a future build of mine and looking into different methods of making them from putty, tissue etc. Not looking forward to that as I imagine it will be difficult to get them looking as good as aftermarket resin ones.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Greg, the aftermarket details really give Yamato some added pop. And the turned brass barrels look super. Looking good.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

There is a heap of detail I will not add until after painting, such as ladders, stanchions, AA guns, but first up I had to add the exercise aiming device which is provided by Tamiya but not referred to in the instructions but in every other reference book. I used stretched sprue as the cables.

Since you are going to airbrush, you don't need to wait, you can put your details on, unless they need a different colour ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

awesome progress........such nice detail  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just amazing what you are doing Greg.  The detail on these is incredible, not sure how you keep your sanity!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Its a matter of access Cog, I don't want t lose detail under paint. I did up the gun tubs that go on top of the main guns. The Tamiya piece is 1 piece.attachicon.gifgun tubs 3.jpg The pontos is 14pieces.attachicon.gifgun tubs 2.jpgattachicon.gifgun tubs 1.jpg

Any idea what the scale length of those taupe rolls would be - you show on the edges of the gun mount shields ?

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The secondary guns come with large superstructure, and the AOTS and the Tamiya instructions differ. According to Tamiya this is where the Paravanes are stored, but the AOTS states they are in closed magazines, which I expect the quad doors are for.post-253-0-17281800-1478471386_thumb.jpg

The door and the ladder configuration is different between the kit and reference, so I went with the reference and sanded down the door and will move the ladders and again add stanchions later. post-253-0-25297100-1478471397_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-62100400-1478471401_thumb.jpgpost-253-0-89425700-1478471405_thumb.jpg

I have also included extra rivet strips and handrails around the bottom of the turret ring from a set of cut down hand rails from spares.

The red things are a panel that is included by Tamiya as a decal, and there are two hatches no mentioned by tamiya. When painted it won't matter.

Greg

Hi Greg, unusaual for paravanes to be stored inside a turret?    Some nice detail there.

cheers

Pat

Do you want the measurements?

Geag what i was thinking was - on photos I have seen of Warspite at Dunkirk she has a lot of rolls of what look like possibly sand bags in in quite long rolls, I wondered if what you have put around the gun mounts are similar.

OC.

post-7946-0-06190500-1478482577.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.