Bismarck by Channell - Trumpeter - 1/200 - PLASTIC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Channell,

Superb build just about to embark on my journey, Can I ask how did you come by the up scaled drawings I see on the wall behind the Bismarck.

Bozzy

They came with the Kagero Bismarck book ( http://www.amazon.com/The-Battleship-Bismarck-Super-Drawings/dp/8361220755/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379609757&sr=8-2&keywords=kagero+battleship+bismarck )... they are mostly in 1/350 scale except for a couple illustrations. If you are about to "build the beast" this book is a "must have"!

Edited by channell

• 5 weeks later...

I thought I'd add another update; I am getting close to finishing this monster finally after almost a year...

EvdVQLg.jpg

vL9kfQp.jpg

97IDDSw.jpg

6tm0NQj.jpg

uG2CWlD.jpg

I am now in the process of addind the last details around the ship that I have missed . Gotta say I'm a bit scared of the rigging but this isn't the HMS Victory so I do feel lucky about that! :D

Edited by channell

• 2 weeks later...

hello my friend

where did you obtain the mesh for the engine inlets on the sea chest, i have been unable to find it in the aber website ( as per the flory) build

or is in the deluxe fitting package?

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

hello my friend

where did you obtain the mesh for the engine inlets on the sea chest, i have been unable to find it in the aber website ( as per the flory) build

or is in the deluxe fitting package?

Hi Kevin! It's just brass mesh screen that I had laying around my "model dungeon" and cut to fit the intakes. I bought it at a hobby shop years ago... I think it was in the model railroading section.

It's not actually accurate and KA didn't provide them; but White Ensign is going to offer some for a fairly reasonable price:

https://www.whiteensignmodels.com/p/WEM+1200+Bismarck+Sea+Chest+Intake+Grilles+PE+2017/20033/

thank you, they look like cut down railings

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello my friend

I have another ?

the square windows on the bridge, have you seen a PE kit fro them, reason for asking is i have seen a photo, on one of the build sites. where he/she had high-lighted all the glazed area in a different shade, but appeared to have a screen/frame around all the squared windows

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello my friend

I have another ?

the square windows on the bridge, have you seen a PE kit fro them, reason for asking is i have seen a photo, on one of the build sites. where he/she had high-lighted all the glazed area in a different shade, but appeared to have a screen/frame around all the squared windows

Hi Kevin!

If it's the build I'm thinking of, they came from here: http://www.modellschlachtschiffe.de/shop/product.asp?numRecordPosition=5&P_ID=480

But I wouldn't order from this company as there have been multiple complaints on MW about them taking money but never deilvering their product.

• 4 years later...

I'm bringing this project back from the dead if that's OK with y'all. I'm also doing a log on another site but I thought I'd  share my misadventures here too for those who are interested. 😁

I've been through a rocky past few years when it comes to scale modeling... I've started several ambitious builds but only finished one (a 1/200 HMS Nelson) and ran into enough frustration/burnout that I ended up boxing up my modeling stuff and walking away for quite some time because of it. 

(edit) Here's a couple of pics of my Nelson, just for fun...

Kh7QHEsl.jpg

vdqGR4ul.jpg

Rkm92qZl.jpg

Anyway, the world spins in circles and me along with it... The bug has bitten again and I've come back refreshed and renewed with an urge to succeed where I failed in the past... and I'm restarting where it pretty much all began for me: superdetailing the Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck.

The original subject of this thread is pretty much trashed... I accidentally dropped it in an icy self-storage parking lot during a move about 5 years back and it's been sitting in a box getting even more broken and loosing parts ever since. Luckily for me, I'm a big spender and bought 2 of these kits back then... the aftermarket has since put out a metric crapton of add-ons for this kit which I've collected a lot of over the years too. 

Here's the main plan... I'm still aiming to do Bismarck as she appeared late in 1940 with an emphasis on doing a clean and extremely detailed build.  There were quite a few minor improvements/ completion of elements of the ship and paint scheme changes made to the Bismarck between the fall/winter of 1940 and Operation Rheinübung the following spring and I'll point them out as a go along. I'm expecting a long-term project of a year or so... we'll see how it goes. 

bissy2.jpg

bissy1.jpg

Edited by channell
Added pictures

My first job has been to improve the shape of the kit hull to make it look closer to the real thing while still allowing myself some artistic license and not getting too bogged down in making it 100% exact. In the end, aside from simply chasing accuracy in scale I guess it's really all about making the model more "mine" instead of the work of some nameless grunts and a huge injection molding machine. 

Here's a smattering of Bismarck hulls to illustrate:

SGuBHgNh.jpg

Top is a 1/100 fiberglass Bismarck hull, middle is my original hull and bottom is the hull I'm gonna use to finish this build.

JW2Fekkh.jpg

I used the plans of the 1/100 version scaled down as a guide to get a fair approximation of the hull shape and built up/shaved down the hull from stem to stern to match the plan profile using reverse cross-sections as a guide. 

I also replaced the bow portholes by drilling fresh circles in styrene sheet and inletting them into the hull:

3SgVH5xh.jpg

ASXkbYgh.jpg

I did this because the kit portholes are warped due to the curvature of the hull and the realities of molding the hull in 1 large piece.

I was able to drill and grind the stern portholes from behind to get the same effect:

DGONm4ih.jpg

UXbEECFh.jpg

I also re-profiled the stern itself as the kit interpretation is too sharp and narrow. 

Edited by channell

... Like I said earlier, I'm going for broke on aftermarket add-ons: 

QrwNSI7h.jpg

Got the complete Pontos advanced set, a KA MK 1 set, all the resin Veteran models DKM sets and a bunch of other random bits + whatever I need/want to salvage from build #1 to work with. 

I'm especially excited about the scaledecks wood deck:

j0DEABQh.jpg

The individual planks are printed onto the wood rather than burnt on with a laser, giving a far more convincing result than before (KA deck left, Pontos deck middle and Scaledecks right)

In between bouts of sanding the hull I've also been preparing the first tier of the superstructure for photo-etch heaven... or hell, depending on your standing with the stuff!

rPfAH8Sh.jpg

Trdw04zh.jpg

I did a couple of PE vents just to make sure I could do them... fiddly stuff but they are gonna look great in the end. 

R3i8xGph.jpg

UmtSMJjh.jpg?1

Finally, did some work on the propshafts/rudders: 

uDTLewZh.jpg

And some "eye candy" with the messed up superstructure of build #1 to give me hope for the future:

wRqEqXHh.jpg

More to come...

Edited by channell

I guess I don't have to ask for pictures from the earlier build.......never liked P.B.   tried 'em and ended up putting all my pictures on memory sticks.....I know where all my pictures are  ;)    very interesting porthole reno.   well........if your gonna go off the deep end,  you'll need some witnesses........I'll watch you go down the rabbit hole  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

hello my friend nice to see you posting again, lol i have actually finished my build of the Bismarck (although it is the only one i have finished) permission to follow again

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

CHANNELL

Great build, so clean and neat.

For reference there is another fantastic build of the Bismark on the Flory Model site - you do not have to join to see the log.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/trumperter-1200-bismark-file/

RICHMOND

Edited by Richmond

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

On 9/6/2018 at 2:11 PM, Kevin said:

hello my friend nice to see you posting again, lol i have actually finished my build of the Bismarck (although it is the only one i have finished) permission to follow again

Good to hear from you Kevin! I saw your finished Bismarck... she turned out amazing! Gonna finish one this time, I swear... :blush:

On 9/7/2018 at 6:04 AM, Richmond said:

CHANNELL

Great build, so clean and neat.

For reference there is another fantastic build of the Bismark on the Flory Model site - you do not have to join to see the log.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/trumperter-1200-bismark-file/

RICHMOND

Yeah, I saw that one way back when... pretty impressive work. It's definitely the "Big Bissy" build to beat on the interwebs. 

I'm still putting through endless prep work on my build...

BGjceP3.jpg

DyiLeP5.jpg

cleanup on the propshafts and bow, from this:

EUGVrv8.jpg

YsyS6f0.jpg

... to this:

TF1igiq.jpg

YKaVcOf.jpg

2vBSMGa.jpg

DfPiQcz.jpg

WSqzkzy.jpg

xpLxfia.jpg

And more hack-n-slash on the superstructure in preparation for PE: 

MYrZmMX.jpg

Lots of work that isn't immediately obvious (or quite finished) but it's still necessary in my opinion to get a really great build. 

Even though I keep building 'em, I've been a somewhat vocal critic of Trumpeter 1/200 kits as they come "out of the box"... they are basically like Trumpy's 1/350 kits blown up to 1/200 so they tend to take any small accuracy issues and multiply 'em. LOTS of details that are OK to be missing in smaller scale end up being glaring omissions in a larger scales too, such as the center anchor hawsepipe (completely omitted on the standard kit). This means lots of extra work and additions if you want to end up with anything better than a bathtub toy. 

Still, I think it's fun to rework these monsters into something really cool... don't know for sure if I've just been sucking up too much sanding dust but I feel like the shape of my modified hull helps my version of the kit take a large step away from "toy" and towards realism, which makes all the work worth it. 

Edited by channell

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!  you got that hull look'in especially nice  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey all, made some more progress... 

I ran into a bunch of issues with the Scaledecks wooden deck; turns out it doesn't fit particularly well.

First off, I noticed the width between the deck and the hull edges was gonna be very off; I thought I might have sanded the sides of the hull too much but now I wonder if the deck itself wasn't the problem. 

hgmxn97.jpg

Both the bow and stern decks didn't fit properly either; the cutouts in the wood deck didn't quite match the corresponding moldings on the plastic deck. 

caTt5NU.jpg

This pic shows how far off all the stern cutouts are; turret Dora and the molded deck fittings closest to it it fit OK but the further aft you go, the worse the discrepancy got...

avzr4MU.jpg

I have 3 unused decks for this kit but I really wanted to get the look of individual planks that the Scaledecks offering provided, even though it was by far the worst fitting of my options. 

Anyway, I decided it would be best to jump ahead and get the deck installed before painting the hull so I could try to even out the edges of the hull and integrate the wooden deck better. 

First I painted the barbettes, stairways ect in the final upper hull colors (Model Master Acryl Lichtgrau with Vallejo grey-black "baseboards"). I airbrushed the grey-black bases first, then masked them off and painted the light grey. Then I went to work getting the deck down...

I had to patch the front of the deck in a couple of places and extend the "metal" of the prow to get everything looking good...

Ugv75il.jpg

yAmci0z.jpg

TB4C05b.jpg

Unlike other wooden decks I've used, this one leaves it up to the builder to integrate the separate pieces together...

2WV09aY.jpg

1FAgRaK.jpg

On the stern where fit was the worst I had two choices; split the deck into multiple pieces and assemble it piecemeal or shave it flat and rebuild the deck fittings... I chose the latter:

Jf6eUfH.jpg

nF84YxX.jpg

Somehow it all came together and other than a fairly lousy fit on the barbettes of the aft most secondary guns it turned out all right. I think I might add some kind of "molding" around the barbettes to cover the gaps for that issue. 

And for fun, here's the newly "decked out" hull next to Bissy #1;  there is a BIG difference between this PITA of a deck and your standard "stick on" wood deck in my opinion, worth the effort though I think it should have fit better for what it costs. Buyer beware. 

SLVPLeK.jpg

From here I can seal the deck, even out the "gutters" around the perimeter of the main deck and then mask it all off easily before painting the hull. Until next time! 

Edited by channell

lovely work, love the scalemates deck, perhaps they have got the scale right, and just proving how much more the trumpeter hull out out of scale

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

6 hours ago, Kevin said:

lovely work, love the scalemates deck, perhaps they have got the scale right, and just proving how much more the trumpeter hull out out of scale

Thanks Kevin... trying to put my all into this one and I appreciate the encouragement! 

Scaledecks advertises the deck as being specifically intended to fit the Trumpy kit so I'm thinking either they just messed up or the decks are really prone to shrinkage. I live in a dry area with very little humidity so it happens... but if the deck shrank, it did so perfectly even and with no warping.

Oh well, at least it's still usable!  

Glad you’re back. I love the deck, but for some reason my last deck was ever so slightly uneven as well whehich makes it difficult when you drill the stanchion holes. If I can suggest, Eduard 1/350 German railing stanchions are actually 1/200, are perfect for you build AND have real chain (ish). They would be perfect for this build. Trust me on the scale I measured it. 

Greg 

Greg

1 hour ago, RGL said:

Glad you’re back. I love the deck, but for some reason my last deck was ever so slightly uneven as well whehich makes it difficult when you drill the stanchion holes. If I can suggest, Eduard 1/350 German railing stanchions are actually 1/200, are perfect for you build AND have real chain (ish). They would be perfect for this build. Trust me on the scale I measured it. 

Greg 

Good to be back and building again! :)

The Pontos advanced set also includes stanchions... Just the thought of 'em induces terror and panic in me though! Call me a wimp but I'll probably just stick with the regular (Pontos) railings on this build.  

Bismarck's rails had an extra bracing pole every other stanchion; I was thinking I could cut those off the individual stanchions and add them to the PE rails for effect; it's on my list of things to experiment with anyway.