Skipjack Kathryn by Mahuna - FINISHED - 1:32 - Based on HAER Drawings

I know it is easy to comment from my chair, Frank, but often at the scale you are working, one needs to exagerate the characteristics or distinct features of the subject. In your case you would do well to feature the eagle's beak. If you make the hook more distinct you got the bird. Still a very worth while effort I would be hard pressed to equal!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

30 minutes ago, cog said:

I know it is easy to comment from my chair, Frank, but often at the scale you are working, one needs to exagerate the characteristics or distinct features of the subject. In your case you would do well to feature the eagle's beak. If you make the hook more distinct you got the bird. Still a very worth while effort I would be hard pressed to equal!

Cheers

Thanks Carl.  I can see what you're referring to, and of course you're correct.  

Very nice work on the eagle. You have done a great job working it into the scale of the model. Well done.

Russ

I tried carving an eagle for the bow of my first build....It looked like anything but an eagle. Nice work

18 hours ago, russ said:

Very nice work on the eagle. You have done a great job working it into the scale of the model. Well done.

Russ

Thanks Russ.  Even though this is a very forgiving scale at 1:32 there are still some small items to deal with - many more to come when I get to the iron work.

16 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

I tried carving an eagle for the bow of my first build....It looked like anything but an eagle. Nice work

Thanks Rich.  I find that using Sculpy for small 'carvings' is much easier than trying to carve them from wood.

Very nice! The paint job looks fantastic!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

nice work on the eagle....looks right at home on the bow! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Part 37 – Yawl Boat

Laws governing oystering in the state of Maryland have restricted dredging to sail-only for many years.  Recently however, the shortage of oysters and the difficulty in getting enough crew to man the oyster dredging boats 7 days a week has caused the state to relax the laws so that dredging can be done using the push boat (called a yawl boat in the Chesapeake) for power dredging 2 days a week.  This has resulted in most dredging boats only going out during their permitted 2 days.

The book “Working Skipjacks of Deal Island” by Brice Stump has some great photos of the yawl boat and its operator at work.  The following photo is from the book:

59ab3e3c0c5ec_439YawlBoatWorking.jpg.b561c7f928baee89f4e30115cdc08c02.jpg

The operator is helping the Kathryn’s captain maneuver the skipjack by pulling on the ropes on one side of the davit.

The configuration of the engine cover in this photo is different from the drawings in the HAER documentation.

59ab3e3cd3020_440PushBoat.jpg.f29fba43ba2549c4d00f79d2ba940614.jpg

Obviously the yawl boat has been modified over the years, but since the model is based on the HAER documents that reflect how Kathryn was configured in the mid-1990’s, the yawl boat for the model will be built as it was in that timeframe.

The HAER documentation contains line plans for the yawl boat, so these drawings were used to develop the keel and frames for the model yawl boat.  The model frames are somewhat thicker than the real frames would be, but these frames would not be obvious in the model and the extra thickness provides some strength to support the planking.

441.thumb.jpg.373ae0826eee0cdd4aff6c51fe81f6e1.jpg

A holding device (a simple block of wood tapered at the correct angle and with a 1/8” groove milled in it) was made to hold the keel at the proper angle during assembly – this allows the frames to be set vertically.

442.thumb.jpg.0299c30b965cdf082e8eb496d39372ca.jpg

The frames were held during gluing by using two machinist squares.  Given the small size of the yawl boat I didn’t think it made sense to try to replicate the jigs I used in the installation of Kathryn’s frames.

443.thumb.jpg.58b43473de39be866ddd8a7a3bc5d477.jpg

443A.thumb.jpg.f5fd9aa53e2a85da88d098f0d8e3350b.jpg

The rearmost frame is not absolutely vertical, but I didn’t think this would be a major issue. 

When all of the frames were in place, chart tape was used to line off the sheer and the chine.

444.thumb.jpg.9fa83092afea4345b6d3bc996c20bdd9.jpg

Using the resulting drawn lines, the sheer plank was installed on each side, and the tops of the frames were trimmed to the top of the plank.

445.thumb.jpg.8a14c7b67845978bc96ce3296d394729.jpg

The side planking is 1/32” thick.  The sheer plank was made from 1/8” wide piece of madrone.  Since the sides of the yawl boat are straight, the rest of the side planking was made from a single piece of 1/32” castello that was spiled on top and bottom.

446.thumb.jpg.dc91e6c73a964e7fe04af5e97ff522c9.jpg

There is a ‘locker’ at the aft of the cockpit, which will house one of the large blocks used to raise and lower the yawl boat.  This was added to the model, and the interior of the yawl boat was then painted a workmanlike grey.

447.thumb.jpg.8e426f8749dcbf097f0fc008071caf91.jpg

The exterior colors of the yawl boat mimic Kathryn’s color scheme, so the hull was painted next.

448.thumb.jpg.92b12c0093c0f6b234aa87332416ec7f.jpg

449.thumb.jpg.0a62ca2ac7373881224033ffe6a9a5f3.jpg

The superstructure of the yawl boat still needs to be built.  This will include an exhaust pipe for the boat’s diesel engine, and will be the subject of a future post.

In the intervals between each step of Yawl Boat construction I decided to install Kathryn’s deck planks.  This will be the topic for the next post.

Frank

That's a great looking little yawl.  The keel jig looks like it worked well.  With the seemingly closely spaced frames were there any issues keeping them vertical during gluing?  

The little yawl looks great with its grey interior and matching white and red exterior.

Cheers,

Elia

Edited by Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

Hi Elia:

Gluing the frames in tight quarters was a little bit of  challenge, but as long as I was able to use the machinist squares to stabilize them while the glue set they came out OK (but not perfect).  I used grey for the interior because I had no reference photos that showed the interior color.  I'm sure the yawl boat interior gets beat up pretty well during the oystering season (as the rest of Kathryn does) so I thought it was a practical color.  I'll probably find out if I'm far off in color when I visit Kathryn next month, so we'll have to wait till then.

Good to hear from you.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, Mahuna said:

Part 37 – Yawl Boat

Laws governing oystering in the state of Maryland have restricted dredging to sail-only for many years.  Recently however, the shortage of oysters and the difficulty in getting enough crew to man the oyster dredging boats 7 days a week has caused the state to relax the laws so that dredging can be done using the push boat (called a yawl boat in the Chesapeake) for power dredging 2 days a week.  This has resulted in most dredging boats only going out during their permitted 2 days.

The book “Working Skipjacks of Deal Island” by Brice Stump has some great photos of the yawl boat and its operator at work.  The following photo is from the book:

59ab3e3c0c5ec_439YawlBoatWorking.jpg.b561c7f928baee89f4e30115cdc08c02.jpg

The operator is helping the Kathryn’s captain maneuver the skipjack by pulling on the ropes on one side of the davit.

The configuration of the engine cover in this photo is different from the drawings in the HAER documentation.

59ab3e3cd3020_440PushBoat.jpg.f29fba43ba2549c4d00f79d2ba940614.jpg

Obviously the yawl boat has been modified over the years, but since the model is based on the HAER documents that reflect how Kathryn was configured in the mid-1990’s, the yawl boat for the model will be built as it was in that timeframe.

The HAER documentation contains line plans for the yawl boat, so these drawings were used to develop the keel and frames for the model yawl boat.  The model frames are somewhat thicker than the real frames would be, but these frames would not be obvious in the model and the extra thickness provides some strength to support the planking.

441.thumb.jpg.373ae0826eee0cdd4aff6c51fe81f6e1.jpg

A holding device (a simple block of wood tapered at the correct angle and with a 1/8” groove milled in it) was made to hold the keel at the proper angle during assembly – this allows the frames to be set vertically.

442.thumb.jpg.0299c30b965cdf082e8eb496d39372ca.jpg

The frames were held during gluing by using two machinist squares.  Given the small size of the yawl boat I didn’t think it made sense to try to replicate the jigs I used in the installation of Kathryn’s frames.

443.thumb.jpg.58b43473de39be866ddd8a7a3bc5d477.jpg

443A.thumb.jpg.f5fd9aa53e2a85da88d098f0d8e3350b.jpg

The rearmost frame is not absolutely vertical, but I didn’t think this would be a major issue. 

When all of the frames were in place, chart tape was used to line off the sheer and the chine.

444.thumb.jpg.9fa83092afea4345b6d3bc996c20bdd9.jpg

Using the resulting drawn lines, the sheer plank was installed on each side, and the tops of the frames were trimmed to the top of the plank.

445.thumb.jpg.8a14c7b67845978bc96ce3296d394729.jpg

The side planking is 1/32” thick.  The sheer plank was made from 1/8” wide piece of madrone.  Since the sides of the yawl boat are straight, the rest of the side planking was made from a single piece of 1/32” castello that was spiled on top and bottom.

446.thumb.jpg.dc91e6c73a964e7fe04af5e97ff522c9.jpg

There is a ‘locker’ at the aft of the cockpit, which will house one of the large blocks used to raise and lower the yawl boat.  This was added to the model, and the interior of the yawl boat was then painted a workmanlike grey.

447.thumb.jpg.8e426f8749dcbf097f0fc008071caf91.jpg

The exterior colors of the yawl boat mimic Kathryn’s color scheme, so the hull was painted next.

448.thumb.jpg.92b12c0093c0f6b234aa87332416ec7f.jpg

449.thumb.jpg.0a62ca2ac7373881224033ffe6a9a5f3.jpg

The superstructure of the yawl boat still needs to be built.  This will include an exhaust pipe for the boat’s diesel engine, and will be the subject of a future post.

In the intervals between each step of Yawl Boat construction I decided to install Kathryn’s deck planks.  This will be the topic for the next post.

Cute little thing!

Part 38 – Deck Planks

As I mentioned in the last post, I had decided to start installing the deck planks while I was building the yawl boat.

Some decisions were needed for the deck planks.  First, should some planks be left off to show all of the interior construction of the model?  And second, should the planks be left natural or painted white?  Kathryn’s deck is painted white, even though the paint is pretty roughed up during oystering season.

All along, my goal with the model is to have the model look as close as possible to the real Kathryn.  So this actually was the answer to both questions: the model would have a full deck, and the deck would be painted white.

The interior construction would only be visible through the hatches, since the hatch covers are removable.

Planking was started amidships, and the first planks were laid along the centerline.  Small homemade C clamps were used to clamp the deck planks to the beams, and clamps were used to ensure that the planks were tight to each other.

450.thumb.jpg.098aee361da1a990e201f4299ea30325.jpg

451.thumb.jpg.8b7c6f71d933201ed48c6cf5a3c4c83d.jpg

The bow area required a lot of fitting, since none of the deck planks are nibbed.

452.thumb.jpg.b3f02a351e28cf53bba9d475da3d785c.jpg

As planking progressed, different clamps were needed to keep the planks tight together.

453.thumb.jpg.5d49b30c076bd7da0697852c0a918761.jpg

Since the deck would be painted it wasn’t necessary to install any simulated fasteners or caulking, so planking moved along fairly quickly.  Kathryn now has a full deck and is waiting for the deck to be painted.  I’ll feel a little bad covering up that beautiful castello.

454.thumb.jpg.15eca2117ebf1a7bb9848e79d469dbab.jpg

455.thumb.jpg.51cd8d2a5d66e45eefc44d05fd6ccc79.jpg

456.thumb.jpg.12821bb42ae7c66d083a96b03aeb782f.jpg

457.thumb.jpg.82a60d508e3046bb0e7c3b2d98f15ec0.jpg

Work is progressing on the yawl boat, and I hope to be able to show its completion in the next day or so.

This is one thing I cannot bring myself to do. My lugger will not have any paint on the deck even though the boats always had a painted deck. I just cannot bear to cover up the deck planking with paint. I should, but I will not.

Russ

That has been quite an undertaking. I agree with Druxey and Russ, but for the sake of reality ... I might use a white wash so I could still see the wood. Still you do what you must do.

By the way, love the yawl boat

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I'm the same way.....I don't like to paint decks either.   as I've seen though,  some working boats do tend to have painted decks.  it would be safe to say,  that the wood grain deck is reserved for the sailing ship and pleasure crafts.   I have done it though to a couple of my projects,  and I like how they came out.   as long as it works well with the subject.   love the little boat.......so sweet to see the 'mini me' effect ;)    very nicely done........super progress :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Part 39 – Deck Planks cont’d

On 9/4/2017 at 7:43 PM, druxey said:

Yup, it will be a pity to paint that beautiful deck....

On 9/4/2017 at 7:49 PM, russ said:

This is one thing I cannot bring myself to do. My lugger will not have any paint on the deck even though the boats always had a painted deck. I just cannot bear to cover up the deck planking with paint. I should, but I will not.

Russ

On 9/5/2017 at 0:22 AM, cog said:

That has been quite an undertaking. I agree with Druxey and Russ, but for the sake of reality ... I might use a white wash so I could still see the wood. Still you do what you must do.

By the way, love the yawl boat

Cheers

On 9/5/2017 at 10:53 AM, popeye the sailor said:

I'm the same way.....I don't like to paint decks either.   as I've seen though,  some working boats do tend to have painted decks.  it would be safe to say,  that the wood grain deck is reserved for the sailing ship and pleasure crafts.   I have done it though to a couple of my projects,  and I like how they came out.   as long as it works well with the subject.   love the little boat.......so sweet to see the 'mini me' effect ;)    very nicely done........super progress :) 

Thanks for all of the input.   I admit that I agree with you for most builds, since I really like the look of natural wood.  But since I had committed to make the model as close to the real Kathryn as possible I felt that the decks had to be painted, since that’s how she sits today.

I started by masking all the openings (I used the mast stub to close off the hole for the mast), and then priming the deck.  I used the white primer from Model Master, and applied it with a brush.  I rubbed down the primer with very fine sanding sheets similar to Scotch Brite pads.

458.thumb.jpg.43f3ac871e5a45ae941e87465a163003.jpg

Then I airbrushed the deck.  Overspray that reached the previously painted parts (log rail, king plank, Sampson Post) wasn’t a problem.  I used Liquitex Titanium White, mixed with an equal amount of Liquitex Matte Medium, and thinned with Liquitex Airbrush Medium.  Liquitex acrylics tend to develop a sheen, and the Matte Medium keeps the paint relatively flat.

The following photos show the finished deck.  I’m glad I painted the deck – it’s looking more like the real Kathryn.

459.thumb.jpg.97b75622c6c44d3e271434be833d9c8d.jpg

460.thumb.jpg.d38a287f681b74fde58a3f7adbbcc27a.jpg

I’ve almost finished the Yawl Boat, and that will be the subject of the next post.

8 hours ago, Mahuna said:

I felt that the decks had to be painted, since that’s how she sits today.

Frank,

I think you made the right decision, its a work boat (a beautiful one at that kudos). 

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

8 hours ago, HIPEXEC said:

She's looking mighty fine, Frank!

Thanks Rich!

2 hours ago, John Allen said:

Frank,

I think you made the right decision, its a work boat (a beautiful one at that kudos). 

Thanks John - I'm pleased with the result.

that's the key here.......your doing a replica project :)   ...and she's look'in great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Carl, Popeye, Rich, and Patrick for the comments.  And thanks to everyone for the 'Likes'.

I've been off the site for a little while due to some family business taking lots of my time.  I'll be posting one more update, then I'll be gone for most of the next three weeks on vacation.