HMB Endeavour by RGL -FINISHED - Artesania Latina

I have said it before, and i will say it again. amazing work. thanks

Hi Greg

I agree to all the other builders before: Wonderful work. I am impressed - as more as the Endeavour is one of my favorites.

I will follow your work and wish you all the best for continuing

Cheerio

Max :piratebo5:

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, leave over, the kids are back at school, and the garden has been weeded and covered in a truck load of mulch.

I thought as a sorbet, I would make the anchor bouys. as you can see from the photos, a bit of off cut dowel and a file and they came out quite easily. I then spent two days serving the ropes that hold them, fitted them just like a real one and compared them on the shrouds, and at 1/48 they would have looked fine, not at 1/60. the term clunky comes to mind.

As such I used un-served rope and pained them black and much more to scale. If you look at the photo of them from the AOTS in the next post you will see the proper way are are supposed to look, but I'm just not Dafi and can't work at that scale.

post-253-0-36040500-1392032280_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-24265100-1392032303_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-60646900-1392032323_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-81372300-1392032346_thumb.jpg

Greg

I took out the two anchors that came with the AL kit back when I bought it last century (It's the one on the left). Nope, not happy. I replaced them with 4 from Caldercraft. The difficulty I'm going to have is that the holes in the shaft for the anchor ring is orientated the wrong way, as you can see from the AOTS and Parkin, they face the other way.

post-253-0-82878100-1392032522_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-72109000-1392032599_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-09901800-1392032638_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg,

Nice work as usual. I think your buoys turned out very nice and particularly the rope work.

I'm being a bit thick here but the 2 outside anchors in the photo above have the holes in the correct orientation (hole parallel to the stock and 90 degrees to the flukes) and the one on the right looks like the Caldercraft ones I have so not sure what the problem is...unless the CC ones you got is the centre one then should be easy enough to fill the wrong hole with epoxy and re-drill the hole in the correct side.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Yep, the supplied ones have holes facing the wrong way which I'll have to re drill. I'm also crap at making a cable laid anchor rope! Nope, I'm wrong and you are correct. Lucky that I paid attention. I stayed up till 1.30am to watch the Aussie fall over at the start of his ice skating race, thank god I didn't get the drill out!

Edited by Greg Lester

Greg

• 1 month later...

Well, some time off and a rainy day, perfect for some anchor work. Now Banyan has posted his Bumpkins and it's put some thought as to how the hell do the anchors get pulled up past the Bumpkin stays? My plan, one side with a single stay removed (they can be removed very easily) and being drawn up with the mast takle used to pull up the bottom of the achors and the port side fully slung up. I have posted the AOTS pic of the slung anchors, and it just wont fly unless it's done this way. 

post-253-0-10469300-1396153856_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-60383200-1396153880_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-73287100-1396153899_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-94501900-1396153926_thumb.jpg

Greg

Port side anchors. Having just looked at my log, I've forgotten to attached the bouys! that will be next and an easy fix.

Firstly the cable running into the hold. Dust comes up nicely with the zoom

post-253-0-55412700-1396324876_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-50149000-1396325075_thumb.jpg

Greg

Hi Greg, some great progress mate - the end is in sight :)  Those anchor stocks look really good!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Well, the bumpkin argument was entered into by the cat, who decided she didn't like them. Both chewed and snapped, and to add to the indignity tipped the entire ship off the piano, braking the foremast and stove in the port side main wales. Taffrails gone as well. Apparently it's my fault for putting the boat on top of the piano. 1 year of work gone. Bloody thing is curled up in front of me like it didn't happen. Photos soon preferably of a dead cat. Karma then bit me by tearing my calf heroically getting out of a van at work. 2 out if three to go.

Greg

Greg,

Sorry to hear about the mishap, that is heart breaking.  Is it recoverable from or is damaged beyond repair?  I would imagine most models would be salvageable from these types of incidents but guess the real question is if you have the heart and inclination to redo all your previous hard work.

I hope you are able to continue with it as your build was a great inspiration to me but if it happened to me personally I don't think I have the mental constitution to redo.

More importantly I hope your leg isn't to badly hurt.  You really got the crappy end of the stick with this as might have meant having some sick leave to spend working on the model, you certainly copped both barrels with this.

All the best 

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I feel for you Greg, the horror... I'm not a great fan of cats, I would have cried.. Obviously the cat is loved.. A Cat astrophe

.. Hope you don't get too stressed Regards Oliver

Hooo boy Greg - frustrating, soul destroying  and irksome all at the same time - a year's work down the drain (that is the hardest to take).  Well the philosophical aspect is that what is done is done and you now just need to assess the damage and how to fix it with the least rework - I am assuming some parts are reusable? Good luck!  Hopefully the moggy won't feature as a set of bagpipes as a result of this :)

Pat

Well, damage photos. Luckily, the topmasts did not snap, only the caps split (which is probably a good thing they were designed in 2 pieces. The Bumpkins can be glued back together. I can't replace them as they are under the bowspit, which's cap has now cat teeth marks. One anchor is almost bent in two. The biggest issue is the port side main wale which has stove in a plank and popped all the metal work. As much as I wanted to have a tantrum and bin the whole thing, it is quite repairable. Not as good as I think It would have looked pre attack, but I have a new place to hide it from her.

post-253-0-32877100-1396747257_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-08136600-1396747271_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-04296800-1396747291_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-67909000-1396747355_thumb.jpg

Greg

So sorry!  That is truly heart breaking.  Curiosity and cats I guess.  Can't live with them can't kill them.  Happy that it is repairable but rework is never very satisfying.  Good luck with it.  HMB Endeavour is next for me, I may nave to wait until the cats die of get too old to jump and climb. 

Jack

"I Love the smell of sawdust in the morning" apologies to John Melius

Current Build:      Bomb Vessel Granado, 1742 - Cross Section Scratch Build 

Previous Builds:  Oseberg Billing Boats 9th Century Viking Ship Modified

Bluenose ll, AL, Lightly Bashed

Louisa Morrison Half Hull, Scratch Build

Photography Website:     http://www.27birds.com

Days off so repairs start today. The port side channel was bent down breaking the chains. Luck would have it that I never glued it, but nailed it in. The ratlines have given the stays a stability so there will be no slackness when repaired, so it's a matter of replacing the chain links once the wales are re attached. There is so much rigging above them still in perfect order it should be quite simple. Putty and paint will hide a lot of sins. I reckon 2 days work. Kids at school and an eagle eye on the cat.

Greg

Repairs ongoing, so I thought I'd knock up the studding sail booms. very easy really. I had not noticed when I first saw the rest of the cat damage, was that the starbord side was stoven in when the ship swan dived off the piano. I'd really like some advice on how the hell I'm going to fix this. How do I pull it out?

post-253-0-71664900-1397006229_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-56468800-1397006244_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-73610700-1397006304_thumb.jpg

Greg

Wow, I think I would have a dead cat! You might be able to pull the dent out by drilling a small hole and gluing a metal rod using CA or epoxy. That would allow you to pull on it.  If you get it out far enough you could then possibly lock it in with more CA and fill using putty and sand.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Oh boy - a bit more work - Maybe put her on her side careened a la repair at Cook Rover?  Those studding booms look good!

cheers

Pat

G'day Greg, Sorry to see your model in such a state. As you say, the damage isn't too severe but you've got a challenge ahead of you.  As for the cat..... I don't have any advice there, my wife has two of them and I live in a constant state of concern with my model (even though it's out of the way). I did try to train them both with my remote controlled tank but realised it only made them climb on things to escape it....... we lost the odd picture frame and my wife developed a disagreeable disposition and hid the tank's battery charger.  Keep smiling....

Cheers,

Rowan D.

Edited by rowand

You may be able to cut out the bad areas and place and blend in some more wood.

I like my ship builds a lot but I like my cat more. She has kept me company throughout all my builds. Even when she distroyed one of my builds by pulling it down off of a shelf playing with the sprit sail. I had to use pliers to pull the bow sprit out of the carpet , it would have gone right through the cat if she had not moved quickly.

It's their courious nature and nothing personal. More time to spend on our ships.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got back into the ship yard and  have just caught up. so sorry to see the disaster. I am actually amazed that it didnt do more damage.

Re the side dents I would use a very sharp scaple and carefully prise a section of planks away (once you have removed 1 the others will be easier to get to), and the re plank the section.

Greg,

Very sorry this has happened to you and your model, she looked really good – and she can again.

I'd go with the last two suggestions, cut out the damaged planking and replace. It shouldnt be to difficult to fix, and before long you'll be back where you were.

Re. the cat, don't be too hard on her, after all cats are curious by nature – and she doesn't know it's a prized model ship, not to be played with. We have four, and if some accident happens (luckily nothing has happened yet modelwise) I tend to blame myself for not thinking about how to avoid the problem in the first place –  and store it for future reference!

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Good to see the repairs coming along.  Lantern looks great.

Cheers

Slog