H.M.S. BOUNTY by Jerry's Admiral - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:60

Nice to see you back at the work bench Charlene. Progress looks good.

• 4 weeks later...

Lawrence, Heinz, Jparsley, and Brian,

I thank you all for following the Bounty's build, and additionally thankful that Heinz decided not to use his copper plates. They arrived in great condition, and I know they will make the ship look even more beautiful in the end. I am recovering from a hospital stay and surgery, but some progress on the ship has been made.  I will post the recent photos to keep this log up to date.

Charlene

post-19054-0-42978200-1441472375_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-39544200-1441472398_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-49927600-1441472407_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-11536300-1441472415_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-55809700-1441472430_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry's Admiral

Sorry to hear you've been in hospital Charlene and do hope that all is well now. I look forward to the continuation of your build. You're certainly in good hands with Jerry to guide you (and to make sure you don't over-do things post-hospital!!!). :)

Hello Charlene,

It was only last week that I was wondering what happened to the Bounty that I surrendered to J.G. It was good to finally see it on the slips. I hope you enjoy the build as much as others in this hobby. Say hello to the mate for me.

Regards,

Jeff, Grant, John, Lawrence, and Michael,

Thank you so much for your "Get-Well" wiashes.  Some days are better than others, but my energy is slowly coming back to the norm.  I will post more photos when a picture will show more than a little progress.  This ship is chllenging, even with my good mate's help!

Charlene

very glad to see you have an update........this process has rattled the nerves of many....but we've also found it to be the most fun!   your well on your way and your doing fine!  :)    sorry to hear about your being laid up a spell.......I hope your feeling better and are on the mend.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye..

Thank you for your kind wishes.  I am feeling much better having had the surgery two weeks ago today.  And I'm happy to say that i was back in the shipyard working on Bounty's hull and managed (with my mate's help) to get further along on the first planking layer.  Jerry took a picture of me so that I could prove i really was back to work.

Charlene

post-19054-0-48283000-1441746786_thumb.jpg

this is a shot to treasure Charlene........the most we ever see of US guys......is a thumb,  or the palm of our hands  :D  :D   where there is progress,  there is no doubt  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Charlene,

I just found your build log, I am glad you are back at the "yard" and inspire more women to start this great hobby. I am trying to convince my Admiral......

The Bounty is coming along nicely! :)

Oh, almost forgot, Welcome to MSW

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

First of all I want to thank Popeye and Dr.Per for their kind posts regarding my recent medical issues.  I'm happy to say that I have returned to work (I'm a teacher) but I still find it difficult to sit too long working on Bounty.  

But over the past few days I did manage to get more planking done and after a discussion with Jerry I have decided to stray from the directions of the kit.  Jerry was able to purchases copper plates from Heinz who decided he wasn't going to copper plate his HMS Victory.  The HMS Bounty did have a copper clad hull even though the Amati kit only provides a two layer wooden planking version.  The copper plates that Heinz sent us are close enough to scale so I have decided to complete the first planking with the 6mm x 1.5mm supplied strips and then I'm going to bash a bit.  I will copper plate the hull from the water line down to the keel and walnut plank the hull over the first planking from the water line up.  This ought to be interesting.

Jerry said that my first planking job so far is a real mess but what does he know?  Just kidding.....It is a mess and will probably require a quart of wood filler to smooth things out to provide a good base for the walnut above the water line and the copper plates below the water line.  I'm anxious to get more done and pray that I continue to feel good enough to continue.  Once again I sincerely appreciate all of you who have wished me well.

Charlene

post-19054-0-85933000-1442585494_thumb.jpg

Charlene, for first planking not bad at all. I think Jerry forgot to mention one thing to you, that is bevelling the frames before planking. He should know :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Dr. Per...

Thanks for your comments.  I think you ought to kow that Jerry explained beveling, tapering and chamfering with respet to the planking and I decided to take the easy way out.  My bad. Jerry, in fact, was upset and suggested that I redo the planking in some areas.  I figured that since I'm going to cover the first planking with another layer of walnut strips or copper plates I could get by  (very bad attitude, i admit) with wood filler and sanding. I really had a strong argument over this with Jerry but since i was recovering from my medical situation, he relented.  I promised him that any future build will be planked correctly, the way he has always built his models.  Thanks again for your views; I appreciate your attention to my project.

Charlene

Hey the way I look at it you have to start somewhere My first planking job is on my current boat and I did undid redid and undid some more Even after all that work I had to use some filler You've played with the bender you've seen now how it all comes together So your next one will be smoother sailing good effort so far and I am inticipating her to turn out lovely

I appreciate your encouragement, Jparsley....Though the results were mocked by my hubby, I am happy to get where i got because I now have the ambition to go further.  True, it's not a perfect job but when I get through with a super walnut planking job and great copper plate application, Bounty will look okay.  Jerry did admit that his first strip planking was worse than mine but I think he was jazzing me since he probably forgot I saw it.  Thanks again,

Charlene

Greetings Charlene

Planking is no prob, it does not matter how it looks now. Once it's smoothed off neatly using filler, the second planking will be easy as beds onto the smoothed surface. My first planking was so bad someone asked me were the ship was. I told him it was behind the filler. David

Hi Shipyard Sid and my other partners in this wonderful hobby....

You are so nice to lend me the encouragement that you have and believe me, as you shall soon see from a couple of photos, I used plenty of filler to finally arrive at a smooth underlay suitable for the final planking.  After much discussion with Jerry, who wasn't totally excited with what I plan to do, I'm ready to begin the second "coat."  My hubby thinks I'm taking an easy way out and skimping but he fianlly gave in.

I intend to mark the waterline with a strip of styrene which is something I remember Jerry did with his Victory.  I will then plank the hull with the kit supplied walnut from the waterline up and copper clad the hull from the waterline down to the keel.  I did mention this before but wanted to mention it again to rub it in on Jerry.

Here are a couple of photos as promised.

Thanks again,

Charlene

post-19054-0-84204600-1443106031_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-04168300-1443106043_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-16257500-1443106049_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-12064300-1443106055_thumb.jpg

I'm not an expert at planking........I've had a few that gave  'planking'  a new definition.  it's all a learning process.......and you've done very well in your recovery!

the hull looks really good  :)

actually,  I think faring a hull frame is kinda fun.   when I sand the edges,  I go by the noise it makes.........drives my admiral nutz,  this noise lessens as the bulkheads conform to the contour of the hull shape.   when the noise is gone.......the job's done.  I'm sure I don't have to add anything more  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Charlene, i just found your build log. I think you did a great job for your 1st  build. I'm looking forward for the next updates. Give my regards to Jerry. :) :)

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Hi Everybody:

A lot has transpired since my last post.  What I really should say is that a lot of time has transpired since my last post because there have been many days that I could not even think about building my Bounty.  I still love the idea of working on this model but unfortunately my job (I am an 8th grade history teacher) has taken up more time that I would like.  The beginning of every school year is always very difficult as the administration continuously makes changes to which we have to adapt; this takes a good deal of time.  It has never been easy but for some reason this year seems tougher than most.  I can find very little time to spend on Bounty and that is a shame as my ambition is still great.  

Jerry has been very patient with me (I guess he still loves me) but I could see that he has seemed bored many days as he gives me instructions as to what to do and very little has been achieved. We both sat down and discussed the situation and decided to take a new track.  Bounty will no longer be my build exclusively but will become a family project with instructions still to come from Jerry but he will also partially work on the project.  Up until now he has been reluctant to do much as this was to be MY build.  I know by asking Jerry to do some of the work the boredom will disappear.

I have learned how to do some planking and how to apply the copper plates.  I did some but must admit, if Jerry hadn't done the lion's share we wouldn't be where we are today.  The hull as well as the rudder is completely planked and copper plated and we are ready to proceed with wales, stringers and strips.  Since Jerry is very bad with colors, it'll be my pleasure to do the painting.  I really hope I spend some quality time with Bounty as I truly believe it'll be a very nice model when completed.

Here are some pictures to show OUR progress and I hope I haven't disappointed anyone by asking my hubby to contribute more of his skills.

Charlene

post-19054-0-53600600-1445368795_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-41414200-1445368809_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-63345900-1445368830_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-56498600-1445368849_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-29175100-1445368901_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-26203900-1445368965_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-07441700-1445368983_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-82050600-1445368998_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-14934500-1445369012_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-80843500-1445369031_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-52356600-1445369191_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-30387900-1445369227_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-16542400-1445369241_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-98280600-1445369254_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-80256800-1445369843_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-26205900-1445369958_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-92498600-1445369980_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-87190700-1445370015_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-45826300-1445370024_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-57036800-1445370070_thumb.jpg

Hey Charlene...your Bounty is looking good, have you decided if you are going to leave her shipyard fresh or weather her a bit?

Thanks, Brian, So that you know, Jerry realizes what side of his bread is buttered.  LOL.  (Hope he doesn't see this)

and, J, we both agree to let the metal finish change naturally.  Jerry's Cutty Sark is about 17 years old and the copper plates are all very dark; the HMS Victory's hull is still light but not as shiny as when it was finished last year.  They're both in display cases

Thank you both for writing..

Charlene

Nice to see some progress there Charlene. Nothing wrong with bringing in an extra "contractor" to help out! Hope you get plenty of time in the shipyard together. :)

Hi Don..

Thanks for the good words. The copper plating looks nice but it's difficult to handle.  There seems to be a lot of pointy pieces that catch my fingers when holding the model.  I'm now getting ready to do some more work on the hull and need to talk with Jerry about how to shape some of the pieces that fit the bow.  I hope he still has patience.

Charlene