SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse 1897 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line

What a fine job.  I see I have a lot to learn.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you very much Bob,

I am already quite curious to see your "Pequot" Steamer under planking, and hopefully prepared for a fine plating Job.... :rolleyes:

I`m sure that you are going to do a wonderful Job...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautifully done Nils!! Excellent work on portholes and painting!!

Cheers

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Thank you very much Bob,

I am already quite curious to see your "Pequot" Steamer under planking, and hopefully prepared for a fine plating Job.... :rolleyes:

I`m sure that you are going to do a wonderful Job...

Nils

Thank you Nils but it looks like the hull is welded except for the bow post.  The main deck house and rails are riveted and the top deck is wood. 

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks very much Dimitris and Bob,

and all the "likes"...

Dimitris,

it`s always a risk Dimitris to drill the porthole openings, because the slightest Offset from the centerline marking can cause the further Drilling to wander out a bit. I trust if there would be another build one day I`ll have to make a Drilling jig that orientates from the deck- resp. sheerline

Bob,

Whatever the hull skin joining method of the "Pequod" will be, I`m sure it will look good.... The combination you mentioned sounds very interesting

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Very Nice Nils, Incredible workmanship, you have this knack for tying it all together, well done 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Nils

Do you believe in reincarnation, by any chance? If you do, I reckon you must've been a master model-ship builder in one of your previous lives, because you're most certainly one now!

In fact, it's truly marvellous to see your KMDG progress. I also love the darkened lighting in your photos above because they highlight the rivets, plating, portholes and the eyebrows beautifully.

Nicely done!

Cheers

patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Pete and Patrick,

thank you so much for your appreciative and Kind comments. In the Moment I`m thinking of how to do Stern decoration and the Name lettering best.....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

wonderful work, - oh I wish I could find time to do my own ship building, LOL just where do my days go to

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Close up photos are our most severe critics, Nils - and they are far too critical, I fear.  Lovely work.

Ed

thanks to Kevin, Ed,

and all the "likes", for the nice comments and interest in the log....

Kevin,

hope you can find a bit more time to relax and enjoy your ship modeling, I found this time after my retirement..

Ed,

you`re so right Ed, sometimes a look at the Close-ups disguises something raising the question:  redo or mend it, will it look at me afterwards, or leave as is...., at least save it under " Things to pevent and avoid next time"...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I don't listen to critics, movie or photo.

Bob

update...

Build log part 26

all portholes (port side) are mounted into the drilled hull holes, the forecastle name is put on and the hull painting is under way (port side)

Nils

post-3445-0-24484500-1448029490_thumb.jpg

the letters are brass photo-etched

post-3445-0-68330100-1448029491_thumb.jpg

the stern decoration is not ready for mounting yet

post-3445-0-19042000-1448029493_thumb.jpg

next will be the borderline painting black / red, and then the starboard side will be pulled up likewise

post-3445-0-68031200-1448029494_thumb.jpg

the black color is completely dull, the red paint will be silk appeal when the paint is cured out

post-3445-0-83208200-1448187181_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-14572300-1448187184_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-85944500-1448187186_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looks Incredible Nils, I am looking forward to seeing her all painted. Beautiful Boat ( I am curious about the Sailboat picture  on the wall ) 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nils, fantastic paint job you did on your ship.Looks fantastic.

Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Oh what a beautiful job you are doing.

Bob

Many thanks for the nice comments to Crackers, Pete, and Dimitris,

and thanks also for all the "likes"....

Crackers,

as I do`nt have a building instruction with illustrated pics etc.. I recall what was thought through and saved in mind several weeks ago and during the build sequences, sometimes I make Little scetches, so I do`nt Forget any good ideas, and look at These now and then for improvements or waving the idea

Pete ,

thanks again, I`m glad you like it....., The pic on the wall is a Repro of the Hamburg based Marine Artist Uwe Lütgen. I saw this oil painting once within the Art-Maritim ( part of the anual Hamburg Boat Show) some years ago, and loved the way he caught the dynamic sailing Moment, and took a photo of it for my personel private use. It Shows the yacht "Maquita" whereby the sky Background was not complete at that time. My copy now is printed on canvas on a wooden spaning-frame in an Gold colored oil painting frame

Dimitris,

Thanks, to you, I hope to get the paint Job done in a way that pleases my own request. I was looking quite some time for the right paint quality

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A very nice comment Bob,

thank you very much, I`m glad you like it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much John,

before the other side gets painted I have to check the borderline painting after Dirk`s (Dubz) reccomended technique on the momentary side the Trials proved good so far

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wonderful Nils. You always make me wish that I had the room to do a project like this -- or more importantly -- the skills to carry it out the way that you are doing.

Bob

Ah yes, she's coming alive now Nils, looking really very good!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nils, I agree with the rest of this bunch your model is looking just great...

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Teriffic progress.  The black really sets off the lettering and the portholes.

Sweeeet.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Wonderful Nils. You always make me wish that I had the room to do a project like this -- or more importantly -- the skills to carry it out the way that you are doing.

Bob

Thank you for your appreciation Bob,

I`m so lucky to have my own hobby room in the house as well as a small room which ocasionally can be used for the rough work (making sawdust etc...)

NIls

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looks wonderful Nils!

Thank you very much Grant,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks to David, Piet, Steve, Patrick, Dan,

and all the "likes", who take pleasure in dropping in and

for your fine comments and appreciations

David,

thanks for your words, I hope the look around the turn of the century can be reflected a bit....

Piet,

I like your comment "coming alive" is a charming adjective...

Steve,

Thanks for your words, I also enjoy looking at your tug`s wheelhouse and the fitting out

Patrick,

glad you loike the result so far, there were quite some things I would do better next time, but still having fun with the build where there is still so much to come

Dan,

the porthole-tubes are tiny galvanic tin plated copper sink head rivets, used for pressing / soldering on the ends of electric conduct wire leads. So through the "glassing" the interior appears in a light color in offset to black hull. The setting back towards inside for the "glassing" give a little impression of the steel plate skin thickness, without highlighting the thickness of the hull planks beneath

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed