Mechanical Solar System Build Log

jim_smits

The second past of the assembly is a gear support arm which transfers power back to the main gear sandwiches. The build will be repeating these two sets of builds for the next few months until all the planets are in place.

post-465-0-82722900-1450025143_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-41722100-1450025145_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-72768600-1450025146_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-03943000-1450025148_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Finally the Mars support arm is inserted into the gear sandwich and fixed in place with a grub screw. The finishing touch is to add the moons Phobos and Diemos and Mars itself.

All the brass parts are really starting to add up and the Orrery is starting to get pretty weighty!

post-465-0-97225400-1450025323_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-60304300-1450025325_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Jim, your build looks very good. Nice job.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Slight delay on the Orrery build; my debit card expired and I so I had to pay Eaglemoss over the phone. They weren't exactly prompt in sending out my magazines.

Anyway, I've finally received this months batch and parts.

post-465-0-35899300-1454266503_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Not a huge amount to describe as alluded to before as the builds will be very similar for the next few sets of issues.

Built the gear sandwich and mounting support for the planet arm.

post-465-0-80132900-1454266694_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-11689600-1454266696_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-93780800-1454266696_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-04359600-1454266698_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Very cool...  I like it.   Ceres?  Are there other dwarf planets or moons also in this?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very cool... I like it. Ceres? Are there other dwarf planets or moons also in this?

Yes it will include Pluto and Eris. They will move really slowly....!

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 2 weeks later...

Well the one advantage of having a delayed set of issues is that the next set seems to turn up really quickly!

I'll update tonight with Jupiter section of the build. I have also ordered and received some steel grub screws to replace the brass ones. Should be more tolerant of adjustments without stripping.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

As promised here is the addition of Jupiter to the build. Nice big planet!

Same routine as before, built the sandwich of gears and the support arm and threaded onto the main shaft and tightened the grub screw to attach.

post-465-0-79962200-1455301947_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-52271500-1455301949_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-65234800-1455301950_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-65391900-1455301951_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Jim

I'm always looking forward to your updates on this build because it's such a fascinating subject matter.

I'm hoping, if possible, that when it's finished, you'd be able to post a video of the system working, so that we can further admire your efforts.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

• 3 weeks later...

Just to tease you all, the next set of parts arrived last night!

I've now been able to add Saturn to the build and as per the real thing it looks awesome. It has also highlighted just how large this build is going to be with another four arms still to go. With that in mind a new set of wider 'feet' were provided to keep the orrery upright. In addition, all the brass grub screws have now been upgraded to steel to avoid any stripping issues when adjusting the arms.

I'll follow up with images tonight / tomorrow morning.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Jim

Very nice! Have you given any thought as to how you're going to display her? I'm thinking in a large blacked out cabinet with some strategically placed overhead lights to highlight the beauty of the whole structure (my thoughts only, of course).

Cheers

Patrick

Haven't thought about where it will live but purely because we are hoping to move house in the next three weeks. Will be able to find a decent spot after that!

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

You'll be needing time ... a precious commodity, Jim ... moving will be a drainage on your reserves aswell ... Hope all will go smoothly ... you'll be staying in Bristol ...?

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yes, staying in Bristol. Moving out of rental house in Bradley Stoke and buying house over in Willsbridge. It's got a 2nd garage/car port which will be getting converted to man cave/workshop.

Reserves are taking a hammering! Getting married in September as well.....

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Just found this thread - your project is sooo cool! I guess that the company don't export to N. America, or I'd be tempted. I remember seeing orreries in museums when I was young, and being fascinated.

All the best with moving and your upcoming nuptials, Jim.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Next update finally! Next set of gears have been added and therefore I can add the planet Uranus (no jokes please....) to the Orrery. The gearing ratios are really kicking in and the last couple of planets are barely moving. It will be interesting once the motor has been added and I can playing around with the speeds.

post-465-0-88207900-1462103898_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

That doesn't look like a 'man cave' Jim ... not jet installed I presume ... a lot of other distractions but for the solar system ...

It looks very promising! Don't speed up to much ... you might throuw them out of orbit ...!

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Jim, as a once upon a time AF Navigator/Weapons Systems Officer, using celestial navigation was a required subject. I am fascinated with your build. I need to find one of that quality. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hey,

The 'instructions' to set the dates are actually engraved planetary positions on the base plates.

To do a birthday I would find an online planetarium site and plug in the dates and use that as a guide.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo