how do you decide on what kit to build

lionfish

Whatever strikes my fancy - which is not necessarily a good thing as it does help to support build a.d.d  but it does make things interesting.

Perhaps it is eaiser with me to say what makes me not build a kit - or rule it out.  Size and cost.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

with me,  I tend to build the type of ships I like..........but since I started to go rogue with the kits,  I've gotten into modifying and scratch building.  this has been a good.....and bad thing,  because of all the crazy ideas that have popped into my head.  but,  it's led to some really cool builds.   as long as I'm having fun,  I'm happy  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

with me,  I tend to build the type of ships I like..........but since I started to go rogue with the kits,  I've gotten into modifying and scratch building.  this has been a good.....and bad thing,  because of all the crazy ideas that have popped into my head.  but,  it's led to some really cool builds.   as long as I'm having fun,  I'm happy  :)

Some amazing builds you mean ;)   Keep on keeping on Popeye - your scratch builds are a thing of inspiration!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

First, it has to be an all sail ship. No motors or engines of any kind.

A 3 masted is preferred over any other.

Has to have been built before 1800 or so.

And most important, has to please my eye. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I prefer something different than the norm these days.  My Billing's Wasa got me started as one didn't see many of them being built when I was building her.  Then the Constellation as I had walked her decks in the mid-70's with a bit of reseach and it was "heavy bash" time.  :)   Licorne.. is well... rare as a model but has a tale.   Up next?  Not sure but it won't be a Vic or Constitution.   Probably either Roebuck or Raleigh.  Nice looking ships, interesting histories and again, not often built.   Yes, I'm an oddball I think.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1. Is it within my skill level? 

2. Do I like the look of the ship? 

The second point over-rules the first. I am way in too deep with my current build! Forced to obtain skills that I don't have. And if not, I have to repeat making parts until I get it right :( 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

1. Start by looking at all the kits I'd like to build

2. Eliminate all of those I can't afford, which is about 95% of those

3. Go back and add ones that MAYBE I could get if I stretch my budged a little (or a lot)

4. Look as which of those kits will be a nice step up in difficultly from previous builds.

5. Throw all caution and rationalizations aside and ignore steps 1-4 and go the one that just appeals to me most.

The final kit usually ends up being something unusual that not everyone else is building, is an actual, researchable historic vessel or small craft, and gives me an opportunity to learn about the ship, the technology, the period history or culture that often isn't commonly known, at least to me.

Then, like so many others, I usually put it in the closet with all the other kits I haven't had time to get to...

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Almost a year ago I though I would be done with my HMS VIctory and at the time I was CERTAIN I wanted to build a brig of some sort. They always look good to me when I see images of them and with just two masts, more manageable.

NOW almost a year later I AM almost done with HMS Victory and I have decided to build something small for a change of pace and in the mistaken assumption the small project will move faster. I narrowed it down to two vessels plus a third, none of them are brigs. Where was my enthusiasm for the brig? Its still there but for some reason, in the intervening time, my intent and intention drifted to the three new subjects. I will still make the brig at some point, maybe when the stars align properly again and I feel ready for a more ambitious project I can commit time to. The small subjects are likely to only take a little time in comparison. I did the photoshop work reducing the drafts of the hulls and cut out the blocks of wood for the hulls and all three of them are under 11" long. Two are of smaller craft I will build to 1/48 scale and the third is the barkentine Gazella, a project I had been interested in years ago but gave up on for lack of plans, but plans have magically appeared now so the project is green lit again. Will I build all three simultaniously? Probably not a good idea but this is the road I am starting down and maybe by switching between projects I can maintain enthusiasm for all three by virtue of their individual differences.

Niagara USS Constitution 

When younger, I would tend to 'yo-yo' back and forth between ornate early square riggers, and more elegant fore-and-afters. I guess it was the contrast, by the time I would finish a model, I would be sick of it, and want something different.

Nowadays, I tend to look for smaller but unusual (for me) types. Smaller because I am more aware of the time commitment required.

Guest Tim I.

At this point I have a closet full of kits, so I am working through the stack. Once I get through them, I hope to do more scratch building of not so commonly built ships, but in 1/4" scale.

- Tim

I also think it's a good idea to pick kits (at least at the start) which help build certain skill sets.  For example, a copper plated ship model like Pickle or Phantom will teach you copper plating, a plank on frame kit like Duke William will teach plank on frame technique, a ship like Sultana or Bounty will teach carving figureheads or other decorations.  If your ultimate goal is to one day build something like Victory or Agamemnon better to line up your kits in order of various techniques you want to master along the way.  It's all relative though building a tug may not help with Victory but it may be fun regardless ;)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

For me, I love the historical, educational aspect of the ships as much as the building of them, so my current plan is to build ships that will show the evolution of ships of the line over the centuries.  Ships that fit the bill are: Victory (1760's), Soleil Royal (1660's), Sovereign of the Seas (1630's), Revenge (1570's), Mary Rose (1510's), Henri Grace a Dieu or Great Harry (1510's).  A side benefit is that if I go in that progression I will moving from plastic kits to wood kits to wood scratch built.

Of course there is also the Constitution because.....well...you know.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

I find that I need a personal connection to the prototype to really be motivated. For example, even though I'm fascinated by sailing ships, a number of my early models have been based on Missouri River craft because that's where I live and it's a favorite historic/geographic area for me.  While I don't like machinery overall and would place steamships in general pretty low in my list, these local craft have too much relevance for me to ignore. I built the Bounty Launch because I've been rereading those stories since high school; I also built a plastic Bounty for the same reason.

I find it too daunting to choose among all the possible ships out there, so finding that personal connection to something helps winnow the choices. I will never build all the ships I find attractive, and just have to come to terms with that.

I've also slowly looked for projects that will help improve my skills, without getting in over my head. While I'd love to build a large ship, my next two will likely be a longboat and a topsail schooner, to help develop skills in hulls and rigging, toward the someday goal of tackling a true ship. I will also likely squeeze in another steamboat.

Finally, I like being different, and finding my own path. Building riverboats certainly accomplishes that, and I hope to find a unique twist on any regular sailing craft I attempt, too.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's about diversity - I don't think I've built the same type of ship twice, though this will come to an end soonish. I'm not really attracted to vessels past the 19th century (no offence to those who are!) though I've built a couple of working boats from the 20th (Corel Flattie and Brittany Sloop, Bluenose). Also, as others have said, it's really about what seems to me to look interesting or capture the imagination. I thought I would be more interested in specific historical subjects than I've turned out to be - for me, it's more about the aesthetics of different hull lines and rigs. It's all fun in any case and if someone gave me an Amati Titanic for Christmas it's not like I wouldn't build it!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy