Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Hello John and thanks for your compliments.  It would indeed be a great tribute to the crew of the AE1 to build a model of her.  When it turns out to be a good model, as I'm sure Brian can accomplish, the model could be placed on permanent "loan" to the Australian Royal Navy museum.

Thank you Mark for dropping by and your like, it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet,

That is an incredible mine.  But then, so are the pulleys.  Engraving Remco's name on both of them is a wonderful tribute. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ahhhhhh Piet I thought you were pulling my leg mentioning to engrave the pulley's, but you're actually pulling it off. 

I am honored to be actually named on you model and also that you let me help you a tiny bit to accomplish your wish to build your fathers sub. 

A BIG thank you.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Looks good Piet

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

looking good Piet!  the mine and the pulleys are really cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank all of you for visiting and clicking the like button, I am honored.

@ Mark, thank you but what do you mean "Engraving Remco's name on both of them"?  There are six of them 6 mm buggers and it wouldn't be right to not do all of them   :D  :D  :D   But - - - I refuse to do the 3 mm pulleys  ;)  ;)  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

@ Remco, yeah, actually it started out that way, pulling your leg that is.  But after I tried it on my wooden prototype I figured why not give it it a try.  I have ordered a small electric hand tool like EdT is using.  That should give me some good control, perhaps better then a snake attachment.  I hope that my hands are steady enough.  Well, it's I who is grateful for all your help and this is the least I can do to show my gratitude.

@ Pete48, thank you as well and what a fine looking model you are crafting, just lovely.

@ Popeye, thank you !!!!

Did I mention to all yuns that I'm having fun????  

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

The fun definitely show, Piet.  And as for the pulleys.. I only saw the picture of two with his name on them...  :blush:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Mark, ahhhh - - - poor you, don't take it so hard my friend  :D  :D  :D  :D   Yep, there are three for each gantry and a few of the 3 mm ones.

And yes, I am having a ball, will mis the build when we go up to PA to visit our daughter and grandson but perhaps I can finally do some artwork.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello again every one and thanks for visiting and your like votes.

The mine saga is close to coming to an end, hurray  :dancetl6:  I cemented most all of the hardware on with two part epoxy and started cleaning it up.

I also cemented the tracks in the mine tube on the sub.  There is still adjustments to be made to make them slide down into the bin but that'll have to wait till the weekend.

I also made 10 of the 3 mm pulleys, another hurray!   :dancetl6:   I managed to snap one drill bit though, a # 68.  No matter how slow I fed the drill this brass is tough and the drill snagged enough to make it fgo beyond it's design limits ;)  :rolleyes: .  I'll just blame it on junky Chinese drills  ;)   I got the broken part out after I made two pulleys.  :D

Sooooh I sharpened the broken drill bit by hand and eye with a diamond file and it worked okay for the rest of the pulleys - - - being extra careful.

I tried fitting one of the mines in the bin and it would only go half way in so I need to file the fake "roller guides" some more.  Once I get them to slide in nice and easy they'll be painted a dark grey to offset them with the rest of the boat.

Well, this is it for today.  A few pics below for my archive and your viewing pleasure.

post-1399-0-44248800-1402019755_thumb.jpg

I cut a strip of plastic that fits snug between the two U channel tracks inside the mine bin.  I think they are close to 180 degrees to each other.  I'll have to adjust the mine sliders to make them fit.  I used two part epoxy cement.

post-1399-0-75985900-1402019777_thumb.jpg

This shows two mines - now with all the hardware on them except for the arming switch which will be done after the mines fit.

post-1399-0-09071500-1402020275_thumb.jpg

This shows all ten of the 3 mm pulleys.  As yuns can see I made the pulley pin holes rather small and had the reduce the diameter of the brass nails I am using for them.  I believe this is closer to scale then using those 1 mm nails.  These are 0.4 mm in diameter.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wow those are some nice looking pulley's, Great job Piet

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nice work, Piet.  It's probably a good idea not to add the arming switch yet.  You wouldn't want one of them blowing up prematurely.  :D

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

nice bit of progress.......the mines will look great when painted :)     looking forward in seeing all this come together.   are you going to try fitting them before you go off on your trip?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello Pete and thanks for your kudos.  Yep, they came out okay, it's rather easy when you have a lathe  ;)

Hi Mark and also a thank you to you.  Yeah, I guess you are right but this afternoon I did manage adding the arming switches  :o   I'll be careful though handling the mines  ;)

Hi Popeye, thank you as well for your kind words.  Patience my friend, they are coming together but slowly.  Yep, They'll be old history by the time we drive up north.  

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

First of all my thanks to all who visited and your likes, much appreciated.

Continued today with dressing the mines and fitting them in the bin.  It's a tight fit but I can move them in and out okay.  After I was happy with that task working out okay I added the arming switches to the sinkers.  The trigger cords still need to be finished but that'll be done Sunday and then I can paint them and call it done :dancetl6:

It was a short day for me because I first had to go to the DIY store and buy a new lawn sprinkler head and after lunch I decided to make dinner.  Ran down to the local green grocer and bought nice root veggies and organically grown tomatoes.   Then off to the butcher and got me a nice chunk of beef.  I planned making a Belgian style beef stew with a good dark Belgian beer - yummo!!!

Gwen was happy she didn't have to cook ad it came out just great.

Okay, I did make a few pics of one mine inside its bin but they are still not painted.

post-1399-0-90511200-1402104168_thumb.jpg

This shows one of the mines fitted inside its bin. 

post-1399-0-95645800-1402104187_thumb.jpg

Another angle of the mine inside its bin, you can also see part of the arming cable.  The other end is hooked to the side of the bin and as the mine is dropped down it pulls the switch lever that arms the system.  Rather ingenious.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

To bad most of the mine details are hidden by the bin. Still looking great Piet.

Will you be having one being lowered into place? Piet

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Great work Piet, The detail work is amazing

Best Regards,

Pete

Edited by pete48

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Love this sort of detail Piet - she will be a very interesting model to view when completed.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

great details Piet  :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello everyone and thanks for visiting and your likes.

@ John (Lad), thank you John, Yes, she's going to be something alright, much more then I originally intended.

@ Remco, never fear buddy, that's why I made two. Besides, the one that's inside the bin can be pulled out for demo purposes.  I should have made the mine bin closer to the torpedo loading gantry so I can actually hang one on the tackle, but then again they were not used for loading mines.  The second mine will be placed on the final display board with a torpedo or two.  

@ Michael, as a followup to Remco's question, no, I am not able to actually demo the loading of a mine - - - except if I make a dock-side crane for that purpose  ;)  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:   No, really, I'm already adding much more in details then originally planned.  Actually, they did have a torpedo loading dolly with a lifting boom that ran on the rails I put on the deck - - - no, I'm not going to make that dolly  :unsure:

@ Wacko Joe, good hearing from you and thanks for your compliments.  Well, you know me, I take pictures whenever I have done something, they are for my own archive as well.

@ Pete, thank you too for your compliments, always nice to have all yuns in my dockyard.

@ Pat, good having you here and thanks for your compliments as well.  Yeah, She'll be a conversation piece alright.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks everyone for dropping by and your likes, it's really much appreciated.

Well, the mines are finally finished and painted.  Yuns are probably sick and tired of hearing about and seeing these buggers, well, so am I  ;)   On to other things now such as completing the torpedo loading gantries and dingy boom.

I managed to engrave remco's name in the 6 mm pulleys and his initials on a few of the 3 mm pulleys, really!  Some of them were not as good as most but it's the idea that counts.

I blackened the pulleys and some other hardware and painted all the pulley brackets licht grey and started to assemble the pulleys into them.

I also cemented both the forward and aft gantries to the deck.  Now it's just a matter of mating all the parts and pieces to where they are suppose to go.  

This has been a very successful day and expect to have the gantries up and running in the next few days.

Here are a few pics to show today's progress on the mines and the pulley engravings.  No sense showing all the hardware because they haven't changed a bit from previous pics, only now they are painted.  I'll show it when the gantries are fully operational.

post-1399-0-78763700-1402277142_thumb.jpg

Here are the 6 mm pulleys with Remco's name engraved on them and only 2 of the 3 mm pulleys with his initials, which are hard to see under the glare but they are there.  Unfortunately they are all very hard to see after I blackened them, but rest assured that they are engraved.

post-1399-0-17630100-1402277235_thumb.jpg

I have loaded one mine in the bin and placed the other on the deck for show.  You can now also see the arming cable.  I thought to paint the fuse tips red for "danger."   :o

post-1399-0-36906100-1402277289_thumb.jpg

Here is another view of the mines.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

I'm always amazed and inspired when I visit your log.  My jaw dropped when I saw the finished mines.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

if they are activated by floating out and the cable activates the arming device -how are the mines kept safe when removing ones not used -

I presume there is a device that can enable them to be retrieved from the bins 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

The mines look great Piet. The engravings too, one engraved pulley wasn't enough uh? ;)  Thanks again buddy, although I do hope they don't stand out to much after they are inserted in the brackets. Imagine 200 hundred yeas from now, historians digging up the Dutch National Archives for the original drawings as to explain these strange markings on a contemporary model. That would be hilarious...

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

The mines look Fantastic , Great work Piet

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Great, great work, Piet. I´ll only add claps to the crowd - waiting for the gantries :D !!