Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

Enjoy the show, and a belated birthday, I haven't been on MSW in a few days. Be safe....

John & Diane

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

We need a link, Dave.... and pictures..... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Now that's a big boat! She looks marvelous setting there! ------ What--No film footage?  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Try this link posted by Mike Kloppenburg....President of Lafayette Scale Modelers.... All of these shots were taken as we were setting up this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/419067198178592/permalink/808527725899202/

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Ah at last - a photo that I have been waiting for - the proud owner with his completed creation. It gives a good idea of the scale of the work. I suppose I am a bit old fashioned in that I like seeing the modelers - preferably in the flesh where possible. 

Thanks Dave for publishing. 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

glad to hear that the show was a hit!   wish I could have been there!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Standing ovation for the beautiful job by our friend Piet....

Here's the link I just received....

http://www.wral.com/hobbyists-show-off-handiwork-raise-money-for-a-cuase/14590973/

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

took a bit of doing,  but I got to see the newscast  :)    totally enjoyed it.........very good article!  very proud of what you two accomplished  :)   :dancetl6:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Absolutely Fantastic Piet, Just incredible the detail and craftsmanship are just breath taking 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Fantastic model of your Dad's boat Piet. I was very glad to have been able to meet you and to see that fine model in person. It is nice to see the personal connection as the drive to build a masterpiece like that.  Thank you for sharing your story with me. That is the type of History you can't get from a book.

Happy Modeling.

Marty G.

Thank you all for your kind words and my special thanks to SawdustDave for planning this event for a very worthy cause.  Children who have lost their fathers in a war.  

Regardless how tragic this is for them, at least they have their father buried in a tangible grave they can visit.  I do not have that, and not till a rather recent time I did not fully know how my father died.  The part of the ship where his battle station is is the part that was hit by the Jap torpedo and in the resulting explosion that part just vanished, evaporated, with him and his shipmates.  Yes, I write it in the present tense, for a reason.

However, I now do have actual photographs of the wreck and the stern section just aft of his battle station, so now I also have a grave marker.  I do have closure of sorts but the hurt is still there.

So, I do fully understand the loss of these children, the mental anguish they have to deal with for a long time.  I was fortunate in that my father came home while his ship was being rearmed and fueled, to say his goodbyes.  One of the things he told me man to man was, that it is his duty to go out with the fleet to meet the enemy.  That word - duty - is burned into my memory.  No matter how unfair this world deals with us  These fathers have sworn an auth as well.  It was their duty to put their lives on the line, tragically, some did not survive.

Dave deserves our admiration and thanks for his time and effort to set up this affair in order to gen up some capital to give something back to these children as a small token of our gratitude for the ultimate price their beloved fathers paid.

That's why I did not hesitate to drive 450 miles to be an active part in that effort and share my story.

Sorry for the sob story but I felt all of you needed to know why Dave set this up, for there is a great need to help these children and of course the widows who are left behind.

I sincerely hope that more can be done in the future.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet,

A moving and fitting tribute.  We, who have gone in harm's way know that life change in an instant.  Those left behind don't always understand. 

I'm proud to know you and Dave at least through this forum.  I wish I were closer to the east coast as I would have loved to have been there.  Let's hope there's  a "next year" and more of us can be there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Piet for sharing your words and sentiments. Having read your experiences, and especially the fact that you've only recently had closure, just makes the reason behind Dave's efforts, all the more real. There are somethings that take time and in your case, I hope that your pain is now bearable.

All the very best and take care.

Patrick

Piet,

I'm proud to know you and Dave at least through this forum...............  

Well put Mark - I totally agree.

Ian M.

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

she looks great in show conditions - well done - sorry I have not been around in the last few months

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Well said Piet - We all love you mate.

OK guys.... Dry your eyeballs and let's get back to building beautiful ships.

See you once in a while at SOS.

Sawdust Dave -

Said it before, but what the heck----It's a really great thing you guys have done, and are doing now, with the Lifeboats for Warriors, and I'm proud of you both for the part you play. Having seen it now on FB and the TV link, I almost feel like I met you guys in person. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Thank all of you my friends for your kind words.

It's time now for me to search for some water or alcohol based dye for my display board side molding. I also want to make a few extra things for the display, like a few crates of Heineken beer, another anchor, a few more mines and crew members of course.

For all practical purposes the model is finished and am now figuring out how to take the photos.  I plan to make a few prints on glossies to give to the museum in Holland.

So, till then,

Cheers

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all y'all swabbies and swabbettes,

The O19 has been patiently waiting for some tender loving care but there is really not much more to do on her, other then nick-nacks.  I think I'll be finalizing the build soon and go on with the VOC ship.

Reworking the side trim on the display board will be done whenever I have the time for it and have the proper stain.  There is no big rush with it.

Coming week I'll be buying a few steel brackets to bolt to the wall in my studio / office and man cave so I can place the O19 on it - finally.

I'm waiting for some decent weather to take the pictures for the Gallery and a few glossies to take with me to Holland.

In the meantime the shipment of Heineken beer has arrived for the O19 and is being stowed away in the forward compartment of the con.  It appears that my father has ordered the cases for the crew.  You see, he was also the quarter master on the boat as well as chef d'equipage.

That reminds me of the story he told us about testing a potential purchase of "unbreakable" glassware.  One day a salesman came to the boat trying to sell "unbreakable' glasses.  Now, Schipper van Warmerdam being a cautious quarter master asked if he could test a glass.  The salesman agreed and so my father climbed up to the bridge with a glass.  He proceeded to hold the glass over the deck and ley it go.  Well, the glass hit the deck and promptly broke into a gezillion pieces.  There were no further words uttered between my father and the salesman who packed up his stuff and left the boat.

Now you would think that with all those wooden slats on the deck the glass would fare better but alas, the glass must have hit one of the steel tracks for the torpedo loading dolly, pity ;)

Okay, enough of my banter and let yuns see the Heineken shipment.

post-1399-0-42769800-1430102280_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-07760000-1430102307_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Guess they don't make glass like they used to Piet!  :D  Nice touch with the cases of beer shipped for the O19 crew. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Hey Piet

After every good construction project comes to an end, the celebrations must begin. Are you sure that there's enough Heineken for all of your national and international fans (aka 019 groupies) to have a drink or two with you?

Congratulations. What a beauty you've built!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Piet,

A nice finishing touch, though as you indicate there may be a few bits and pieces that will attract your attention. I am really pleased the way the project turned out which produced a wonderful result - and thanks for sharing the progress with us.

All the best...  :cheers:

Edited by ianmajor

Ian M.