Hannah by Cap'n Rat Fink - FINISHED - 1/4" scale - semi scratch - George Washington's Colonial Schooner by Mario - Finished 2/24/2021

I'm just beginning this build as a scratch project in 1:32 scale.  I'd love to see you back at this build, Mario!  With no real instructions this will be a challenge.  Hopefully you can answer a few questions as they come up!  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Please check your PM!!

• 2 months later...

Hello All,
        Before I get started on my modeling updates. I would like to say me and my family offer our prayers to you all who are in the mist of fighting this horrible Pandemic. I pray everyday that the hardest hit areas Italy and Europe get a handle on this virus. I hope that being apart of the human race that we come together to beat this virus down and out of our lives. I believe we can do great things if we band together and fight this.
      I live in California, USA. We have received orders to stay at home and not wonder outside into the city. Me and my wife have elderly parents in their 80's n 90's and we are trying to help them as much as possible, but also trying to practice social distancing. So God Bless to you all and we as a human race will beat this thing!!!

So being in lock-down and can't really go any where I have had even more time now for my models. So I will be updating here on the Hannah and on my New Bedford Whale Boat log. My wives n my parents require a lot of assistance, and mine are both wheel chair bound. We have 3 grandkids and as I like to refer to them as my two boys and my granddaughter.My boys are both Autistic so so our lives are filled with assisting our parents and our boys. Just in case you wanted to know where I have been and why I don't come around hardly ever anymore. But i do still work on models and woodworking in general.
    So I will post soon so you know I'm still at it.

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Mario, welcome back. Understand taking care of the folks; did the same. Family first.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Mario. Long time no see or hear from.   Glad you found your way back, but as Ken said, family first, so there's no rush.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Guys thanks for stopping by!!!

Ok it's almost 2 years since I posted anything, anything at all.
      So During that time I was taking pic's and saved them to a flash drive. But now I am having trouble finding that flash drive. Worst case scenario I retake some pic's of what my model looks like now but not very detailed on the steps I took. But these steps will not help you with the basic construction of this model.
    With information provided from Dave of a wood supplier I decided to add extra detail to MY Hannah! The quarter deck was installed and the model is out of the jig. So it was going to be a bear to add my idea of a cabin deck. There is virtually nothing on the how the Hannah looked like. Other then she weight 78 tons. About 5 tons lighter then the Halifax. Which I decided would help me with the extra detail. Plus I have the info from Hahn and Chappelle research on all 5 Marblehead schooners. The bow section was the real pain because mostly it had to be done with tweezers. As for knees and other bits below deck I omitted because it was next to impossible for me to do them because I had the quarter deck in and I wasn't going to take it apart.
    What I added will look like a ship under construction, for example the interior hull planking. Because I new with the Q. deck in place it would be difficult as I neared the underside of the Q. deck to fit those planks properly. So probably going to display the model like it was under construction when done. Remember I have nothing to refer to to accomplish the lower portion of Hannah. I used Halifax pictures and info in books. But Halifax is bigger and outfitted differently. I had to make sure the bulge pumps weren't going to run into a wall or whatever I decide on how to arrange the lower level. Same for the windlass and the ships masts. I had to consider all that.
    All of this has been completed. I had a lot of fun too. I am ready to plank the hull and the deck. I am thinking on how to do this, and provide enough peep holes so anyone can see the below deck details. This has always been a pet peeve of mine about POF! All that work and you plank over it.  
   So I am hoping to find my flash drive or I will be taking new pictures from there and head into the rest of the build. 

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

• 2 weeks later...

OK HERE WE GO,
THE FIRST 2 PICS SHOW ME WORKING ON THE PLAN ON HOW TO DO THIS LOWER LEVEL. THE 2ND PHOTO IS ME JUST LAYING THE BEAMS AT EVERY AREA OF THE POOP DECK. IT HELPED ME FIGURE OUT WHERE TO PLACE THE LOWER LEVEL BEAMS, WALLS, FLOORING, LADDERS, AND SUCH.
I HAD TO MAKE SURE MY LAYOUT OF THE LOWER LEVEL WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH THE MAST, BILGE PUMPS, AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT WAS COMING FROM THE ABOVE DECK. I HAD ALREADY COMPLETED THE QUARTER DECK FRAMING SO I HAD TO DO MY BEST WITH MEASURING AND RE-MEASURING THROUGH THE BEAMS TO MAKE SURE I DID NOT PUT ANYTHING IN THE WAY OF THE WINDLASS.
I WAS ABLE TO EVEN ADD THE 2 BREAST HOOKS AT THE BOW. THE ONLY WAY TO INSTALL THEM WAS TO FIT THEM THROUGH THE Q.DECK FRAMING, USE MY GLUE STICK, AND TWEEZER THEM INTO POSITION. I JUST GOT PLAIN LUCKY THEY WENT IN PRETTY GOOD.
I ALREADY HAVE THE POOP DECK FRAMED AND EVERYTHING PLANKED ABOVE THE WALES. THE CAP-RAILS ARE IN PLACE. THE STERN IS COMPLETED WITH THE FASHION PIECES COMPLETED AND INSTALLED. PLUS I PAINTED WHERE I WANTED TO PAINT BUT I 'LL GET YOU CAUGHT UP AS SOON AS I CAN.

NOW BECAUSE I DECIDED WAY TOO LATE TO ADD THIS FEATURE TO MY MODEL, THE LOOK I CHOSE WAS TO MAKE THE BOAT LOOK LIKE IT WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF CONSTRUCTION AT DIFFERENT AREAS OF THE MODEL. BECAUSE THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS GOING TO COMPLETE THE BELOW AREA WITH THE Q. DECK ALREADY IN PLACE. SORRY FOR THE PHOTOS NOT BEING VERY GOOD. BECAUSE I STILL CAN'T FIND MY FLASH DRIVE WITH THE REALLY GOOD PHOTOS I TOOK. I HAD THESE PHOTOS ON ANOTHER DRIVE. SO I'M GOING WITH THEM BECAUSE THIS IS THE CLOSEST PHOTOS I HAVE RIGHT NOW FROM WHERE I LEFT OFF.
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1125.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1125a.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1126.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1127.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1129.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1130.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1131.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1132.jpg
1586639482_1925_FT24836_1133.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

JOHN, DAVE THANK YOU STOPPING BY!

HI ALL,
I HOPE YOU ALL ARE DOING OK WITH THE VIRUS SITUATION GOING ON. GOD BLESS.

WELL I'M GOING TO ADD A FEW MORE PICS, NOT IN THE CORRECT ORDER. BUT JUST TO CATCH UP ON UPDATING MY BUILD LOG. THIS WAS DONE OVER THE PAST ALMOST 2 YEARS I HAVE BEEN GONE. BUT NOW THAT WE ARE BEING TOLD TO ISOLATE AT HOME AND A LOT OF BUSINESSES ARE CLOSED UP, SCHOOLS, YOU NAME IT.
HAS ALLOWED ME TO SPEND MORE TIME ON MY AT HOME HOBBIES.

I USED MY MAKE SHIFT CLAMPS FOR INSTALLING THE FLOOR PLANKS UNTIL THE GLUE SET. I DID NOT MAKE THEM. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE A FIBER OPTIC TECH TO HAVE ACCESS TO THESE LITTLE CREATIONS. ONE MANS TRASH IS ANOTHER MANS TREASURE AS THEY SAY.

I HAD TO BUILD THE BOW LOWER LEVEL SECTION OUTSIDE THE MODEL BECAUSE THE QUARTER DECK WAS IN. MEASUREMENTS WERE DONE BY USING A SMALL RULER AND STICKING IT THROUGH THE DECK TIMBERS. PLUS I HAD TO MAKE SURE THE WINDLASS BRACKETS WOULD SIT ON THE CORRECT FRAME PER THE PLANS.

THE STERN AREA WAS PARTIALLY COMPLETED. I GAVE IT THAT APPEARANCE BECAUSE I WAS NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO COMPLETE THE BOW AREA. AND OF COURSE A PIC OF HOW I MADE THE ROOMS. I INSTALLED THE POOP DECK BEAMS AND WENT AHEAD ADDING THE WALLS.

1587224964_1925_FT24836_1135.jpg
1587224964_1925_FT24836_1135a.jpg
1587224964_1925_FT24836_1136.jpg
1587224964_1925_FT24836_1137.jpg
1587224964_1925_FT24836_1138.jpg
1587224964_1925_FT24836_1139_2.jpg
1587224964_1925_FT24836_1140.jpg
1587224964_1925_FT24836_1141.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Looks good, Mario.   Fiber clamps?  They do look familiar now.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HI JOHN,

THEY ARE FOR FIBER TROUGH'S. IT'S WHERE YOU LAY THE FIBERS AS YOU BUILD HI SPEED CIRCUITS, SUCH AS 1 GIG TO 100 GIG SPEED CKTS. WE HAVE THEM BY THE 1000'S SO A LOT OF THEM END UP IN THE TRASH. SO I GO DUMPSTER DIVING PER-SAY.

HI MARK,

YEAH I'M BACK. I RETIRED AT 59YRS OLD. DOING FINE NOWADAYS. 

I WHILE BACK I DECIDED TO TAKE A BREAK FROM BUILDING THE HULL. I KNEW THE WINDLASS WOULD BE PROJECT IN ITSELF. SO HERE IS WHAT I WENT THROUGH ON CREATING THE WINDLASS AND THE BRACKETS.

FYI. I AM ACTUALLY PLANKING THE HULL BELOW THE WALES AT THIS TIME. BUT I AM TRYING TO GET MY BUILD LOG CAUGHT UP.

1587355700_1925_FT24836_1142.jpg
1587355700_1925_FT24836_1143.jpg
1587355700_1925_FT24836_1144.jpg
1587355700_1925_FT24836_1145.jpg
1587355700_1925_FT24836_1146.jpg
1587355700_1925_FT24836_1146a.jpg
1587355703_1925_FT24836_1147.jpg
1587355703_1925_FT24836_1148.jpg
1587355703_1925_FT24836_1148a.jpg
1587355703_1925_FT24836_1149.jpg
1587355703_1925_FT24836_1150.jpg
1587355703_1925_FT24836_1151.jpg
1587355703_1925_FT24836_1152.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Good looking windlass ,sir.   And happy retirement and welcome to the ranks of  non-working gezzers.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Glad to see you enjoying your retirement and back to work on your model.  I built Hannah as my first scratch build (log lost when MSW crashed around 2012).  Yours is coming along great!! Love all the interior details you are adding.

Dave

Current builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum

1/64 Brig Supply

• 3 weeks later...

THANKS GUYS FOR STOPPING BY AND YOUR NICE COMMENTS!

HEY EVERYONE!
WITH SPRING IN THE AIR THE FAMILY AND I ARE VERY BUSY IN THE YARD. BUT I HAD TIME TO ADD SOME PICS TO FURTHER ALONG MY BUILD LOG. SO CATCHING UP WITH MY BUILD IS AROUND THE CORNER.

LOSING THE FLASH DRIVE I HAD NO PICS OF THE BEGINNING PLANKING. I DECIDED ABOVE THE WALES WOULD BE PAINTED. THE FINAL PAINTING OF THE MODEL WOULD BE AFTER THE HULL BELOW THE WALES IS COMPLETED. YOU MIGHT NOTICE THE POOP DECK FRAMING IS COMPLETED. I SAW NO REASON TO SHOW THIS PORTION BECAUSE IT WAS BASICLLY THE SAME AS THE Q.DECK

1588991121_1925_FT24836_1153_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

NO W PER THE PRACTICUM HUNT DECIDED TO DO THE CAPRAILS IN SEVERAL PIECES. I DECIDED TO DO THE RAIL IN ONE PIECE. SINCE IT WAS ONE PIECE I STOOD A CHANCE OF BREAKING IT BECAUSE I WAS GOING TO GO AGAINST THE GRAIN ON A PORTION OF THE PIECE.

1588991380_1925_FT24836_1154_.jpg

1588991380_1925_FT24836_1155_.jpg

1588991380_1925_FT24836_1156.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

NOW THE TRIM PIECE I THOUGH WAS GOING TO BE A JOB AND A HALF. BUT IT TURNED OUT TO BE A PRETTY EASY PROCESS. I CHOSE SWISS PEAR FOR THE HARDNESS AND IT WOULD HOLD THE PATTERN WELL, ONCE SCRAPED IN. AGAIN I HAD TO BE VERY CAREFUL THE THE CAP-RAILS BECAUSE THEY WERE ONE PIECE WHICH MADE THEM VERY DELICATE AND EASY TO BREAK. BUT IT WENT WELL.

1588992925_1925_FT24836_1158.jpg
1588992925_1925_FT24836_1159.jpg
1588992925_1925_FT24836_1160.jpg
1588992925_1925_FT24836_1160a.jpg
1588992925_1925_FT24836_1161.jpg
1588992925_1925_FT24836_1161a_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

NEVER HAVE DONE SUCH A COMPLICATED POF MODEL BEFORE, IT TURNS OUT THAT SO FAR THRU THE BUILD THE STERN DETAIL PIECE AT THIS POINT IN THE BUILD WAS THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF THE MODEL FOR ME TO COMPLETE. IT TOOK ME 5 TRIES TO GET IT RIGHT, AND I WAS FINALLY SATISFIED.

1588993199_1925_FT24836_1162.jpg
1588993199_1925_FT24836_1163.jpg
1588993199_1925_FT24836_1164.jpg
1588993199_1925_FT24836_1165.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

NOW THE STERN SIDE DETAILS FOR THE PORT N STARBOARD SIDES WAS A BIT FINICKY. BUT WAS FUN TO DEAL WITH. BUT RIGHT FROM THE START I RAN INTO A DISCREPANCY. I LET THE PICTURES EXPLAIN THE ISSUE.

1588993490_1925_FT24836_1166.jpg
1588993490_1925_FT24836_1167.jpg
1588993490_1925_FT24836_1168.jpg
1588993490_1925_FT24836_1169.jpg
1588993490_1925_FT24836_1170.jpg
1588993490_1925_FT24836_1171.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

AND HERE IS THE RESULTS OF ALL THE WORK DONE AT THE STERN FOR MY LITTLE MODEL. AND ON WAY WE GO!

1588993680_1925_FT24836_1172.jpg
1588993680_1925_FT24836_1173.jpg
1588993680_1925_FT24836_1174.jpg
1588993788_1925_FT24836_1175.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Looking good, Mario.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 1 month later...

HI EVERYONE,
AS MENTIONED A FEW WEEKS BACK I MISSED PLACE MY FLASH DRIVE WITH THE PROGRESS I OVER THE PAST EXTENTED TIME I WAS AWAY FROM POSTING. SO I FINALLY HAVE GIVEN UP LOOKING FOR IT. SO I AM JUST GOING TO UPDATE WHERE I AM AT PRESENT.
WHEN I DECIDED TO ADD DETAIL TO A LOWER DECK, I ALSO DECIDED NOT TO FULLY PLANK THE HULL. SO WHEN DONE GUEST AT MY HOME COULD STILL SEE BELOW DECK. I DECIDED TO PLANK BELOW THE WALES IN FRESHLY MILLED BOXWOOD AT THE TIME I DID THE PLANKING WHICH WAS ABOUT 3 MONTHS BACK.
FROM THERE I COMPLETED THE WINDLASS AND I ALSO WENT WITH PLANKING BELOW THE CAPRAIL WHERE OTHERS LEFT THE STANCHIONS. THEN I REALIZED A GREAT MISTAKE OR SOMETHING I OVER LOOKED. I TOTALLY FORGOT THE SCUBBERS. OH WELL THEY ARE OUT. I PAINTED ABOVE THE WALES AS YOU NOTICED, BUT LEAVING BELOW THE WALES UNPAINTED. I MILLED HOLLY FOR THE DECK PLANKING. I AM STILL UP IN THE AIR ABOUT TRUNNELS AS OF YET. I LEFT OPENINGS IN THE DECK TO AGAIN ALLOW ACCESS TO SEE THE LOWER DECK DETAILS. THE COAMINGS WERE MADE OF PEAR WOOD. I THOUGHT IT GAVE A NICE CONTRAST TO THE SWISS PEAR, HOLLY, AND YELLOWHEART. AS FOR THE GRATINGS WHICH ARE NEXT IN LINE TO WORK ON. I'M THINKING HOLLY, BUT DON'T KNOW. FIRST I AM NOT SURE I CAN MAKE THEM GOOD ENOUGH TO USE. HAHA! SO THERE YOU HAVE IT I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF MAKING THE DECK DETAILS ON THE HANNAH. PLUS WORKING ON ALL THE DETAIL OF MY WHALEBOAT. TWO SCRATCH BUILDS AT THE SAME IS NO BIGGIE. I GET A LITTLE TIRED OF ONE I SWITCH.
PLUS I AM A WOODWORKING. BEEN MAKING SOME NICE PICTURES LEDGES FOR MY WIFE, PLUS A MAPLE AND WALNUT CUTTING BOARD SHE LOVES BUT WON'T USE A KNIFE ON IT, SO NOW IT'S HER WINE TRAY. LOL! MY SON WANTED TO WORK WITH ON AKING HIS OWN SKIMBOARD FOR OUR BEACH TRIPS. SO I AM DOING THAT ALSO.
I RE-ORGANIZED MY MODELING WORK AREA SINCE RETIREMENT. AND MADE MYSELF WORKBENCH TABLE TOP FOR MY BIGGER PROJECT. SO STAYING BUSY YOU MIGHT SAY.
I HOPE MY MODELING SKILLS WILL IMPROVE NOW THAT I HAVE MORE TIME TO PUT INTO. GOD WILLING AND QUITE A FEW YEARS DOING SO.

1176.JPG

1177.JPG

1178.JPG

1179.JPG

1180.JPG

1181.JPG

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

1182.JPG

1183.JPG

1184.JPG

1185.JPG

1186.JPG

1187.JPG

1188.JPG

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

THANK YOU JOHANN AND DAVE, AND ALL THE LIKES!

WELL I AM STARTING TO DEAL WITH ALL FURNITURE AND BITS N PIECES AS I SAY ON BOTH MODELS. SO I WILL BE JUMPING BACK AND FORTH ON BOTH MODELS. BECAUSE THIS SMALL STUFF IS A BIT OF A CHALLENGE. THE DECK-HOUSE AND COMPANIONWAYS ALONE TOOK ABOUT AN HOUR EACH. THEY HAVE ALL THE TRIM TO DO. TAKES FOREVER.

1189.JPG

1190.JPG

1191.JPG

1192.JPG

1193.JPG

1194.JPG

1195.JPG

1196.JPG

1197.JPG

1197A.JPG

1198.JPG

1199.JPG

1200.JPG

1201.JPG

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....