Hannah by Cap'n Rat Fink - FINISHED - 1/4" scale - semi scratch - George Washington's Colonial Schooner by Mario - Finished 2/24/2021

I'm now fairing the majority of the hull at this time....

1521253404_1925_FT24836_img_0742.jpg
1521253404_1925_FT24836_img_0748_.jpg

1521253404_1925_FT24836_img_0749.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

That's a good solution, Mario.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark.

Ok just about done with the fairing I can do with the jig in place. Unlike Hahns jig which leaves a lot of spare material at the top of the frames. I can't get to the tops of the frames without removing the jig. Since after chapter 5 all instruction is with Hahns upside down jig which gives you an advantage of working the interior and exterior. So I am going to do as much of the interior as I can before I remove the model from the jig.

WELL THATS MY PLAN ANYWAY AND IT MAY CHANGE AS I GO ALONG!!!

1521266837_1925_FT24836_img_0760_.jpg

1521266837_1925_FT24836_img_0761_.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

Nice photos Mario. I like the shadows underneath.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

I have decided to add whatever I could before removing model from building jig. Plus transfer whatever lines I could from the plans. I added the keelson, plus doing the hawse timber, down the road are the deck clamps, and maybe the deck beams and ledges. But I need to notch out the frames and the jig is in the way. So trying to figure that one out. As for the stern same thing jig is in the way to add the other transoms.

1521412288_1925_FT24836_img_0780.jpg
1521412288_1925_FT24836_img_0775.jpg
1521412288_1925_FT24836_img_0778.jpg
1521412288_1925_FT24836_img_0779.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

the frame looks good Mario.........you've solved the problem you were having in fine shape  ;)    faring looks nice too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis and enjoy your snow...!

1521745121_1925_FT24836_img_0786_.jpg

Well I'm trying to get back to my model, But here in California it is just a plain pain in the butt dealing with disability insurance. But back to my build.

I bought this kit a few years back. But I failed to purchase cherry for the rest of the build at that time. So I do have some cherry from another build left over, but the color between the two is just off. Which just bugs me. So since I am trying to do what i can internally before I pull the model from the jig, I decided to use basswood for the forward deck clamps. To save what I can of the cherry I got left. This won't be a problem because my plan is the plank the hull almost completely and the same for the deck. So this deck clamp won't be seen. I just like the look of these schooners. IMO they just look real good fully planked. So that is where I'm headed.

1521745661_1925_FT24836_img_0785.jpg

Now this next pic you will see a redline. I am going to cut this portion of the jig out exposing the last can't frame and the stern. I have to add all the support and the other transoms to the stern, but I can't get to it unless I cut this portion of the jig out. Leaving the rest will protect the bow and the full frames while I am dealing with the stern. So thanks for stopping by

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Ok I am in the process of adding the other 4 transoms. I took all measurements from Hahns plans. All pieces are 1/8" in thickness including the basswood spacers. You will see pictures of the plans. To bar any issues from showing this online with all this copy rights thing going on, the pictures of the plans were taken at an angle to distort them a bit.
If anybody sees that I have an issue with my transoms please tell me because I am learning. I am following Bob's practicum. Which has been very helpful. Learning a lot here!

1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0787.jpg
1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0787a.jpg
1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0788.jpg
1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0789_.jpg

1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0790_.jpg

1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0790a_.jpg

1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0791.jpg
1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0792_.jpg

1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0792a.jpg
1521769404_1925_FT24836_img_0793.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

And a few more pics...

1521769571_1925_FT24836_img_0794.jpg
1521769571_1925_FT24836_img_0795.jpg
1521769571_1925_FT24836_img_0796.jpg
1521769571_1925_FT24836_img_0797.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Mario,

Looks like a good plan coming together.   I do have question on the transom pieces.  Is there a reason for not preshaping the exterior of them?  Looks to my like you'll have a lot of sanding and shaping to do on them.   Maybe I'm wrong and missing something here.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nope Mark you not missing a thing. They are bigger. This is my first doing this. So I left more timber. Just did not want to screw up and have too little. The starboard I will shape them with less material as suggested in the practicum. Just covering my butt. Wood be a bear to have to remove them if not enough material.

Untitled1A.png.409f56d3895e47fa5d472c4217feb661.png Practicum suggest this shape will I will do on starboard...

Off course the wider side towards the deadwood.

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

The fairing of the starboard side transom went without a hitch. They look rough. But so does the rest of the hull. The final fairing will be done when I pull the model from the building jig.

I left a lot of material on the first set of transoms, being my first time doing this process I wanted to make I was good with enough material. It went well so I went ahead and removed enough material to make the fairing a bit less time consuming. The tape was there to protect the sternpost from the rough fairing.

Building this portion of the model did not seem to me to be very hard to do. Measuring and transferring those measurements from plans to material and rechecking payed off. The practicum for this part of the build was very informative.

1521842770_1925_FT24836_img_0799.jpg

1521842802_1925_FT24836_img_0800.jpg

1521842837_1925_FT24836_img_0802.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Lovely transom work, Mario.  Looks great from here.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

looks great Mario.......interesting way to achieve it as well  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO ALL,
BEEN WORKING ON THE MODEL HERE AND THERE. HAD TO SLOW DOWN BECAUSE I HAD A COMMITMENT TO DO ALL THE CENTER PIECES FOR A RELATIVES PENDING WEDDING. CENTER PIECES FOR 34 TABLES. FINALLY GOT IT DONE.

SO WHERE WAS I ? LEFT OFF AT THE STERN FRAMES. I WORKED THAT OUT, I ADDED THE TIMBER THAT TIES THEM ALL TOGETHER. THEN CAME THE HARDEST OF THE STERN AREA IMO. "THE AFTMOST DECK BEAM". THAT TOOK A LOT OF READING AND MEASUREMENT AFTER MEASUREMENT AND MEASURING AGAIN. THE FINAL RESULT WAS THE 2ND TIME AROUND MAKING THE BEAM.

THEN CAME THE SMALL TIMBERS THAT TIED THE LAST CANT FRAMES TO THE STERN FRAMES AND ADDING A STANTION.

THAT COMPLETED THE FRAMING OF THE HULL, AND I MADE THE DECISION TO REMOVE THE MODEL FROM THE BUILDING JIG. SO I CAN NOW DO SOME SERIOUS AND FINAL FAIRING OF THE HULL. THEN CUT OUT THE NOTCHES ON EACH FRAME. MAKE SURE THE RABBET IS CLEAN AND CLEAR FOR THE PLANKING.

1523329413_1925_FT24836_img_0868.jpg
1523329413_1925_FT24836_img_0869.jpg
1523329413_1925_FT24836_img_0871.jpg
1523329413_1925_FT24836_img_0873_.jpg

1523329413_1925_FT24836_img_0874.jpg
1523329413_1925_FT24836_img_0875.jpg

THANK YOU FOR DROPPING BY!!!

1523329668_1925_FT24836_img_0876.jpg
1523329668_1925_FT24836_img_0877.jpg
1523329668_1925_FT24836_img_0878.jpg
1523329668_1925_FT24836_img_0879_.jpg

1523329668_1925_FT24836_img_0880.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

The hull looks great Mario. I also really like your wood choices. It's will build into a beautiful ship.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Looking good, Mario.  Go easy on the sanding and fairing as the frames are fragile until you get a bit of planking on them.  Don't ask how I know.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

good to see her out of the cage!   the planking party will be starting soon  ;)     very nice looking frame......well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Guys for your kind remarks...

Hello All,

trying to recoup from knee surgery and the long recovery ahead. So to take my mind off of the pain I decided to try to get back to my model.
So before I start framing the quarter deck I added the Wales to strengthen the hull frames. I followed hahns advice. The Wales being 3/32nds of an inch thick I ripped two strips of ebony and one of cherry. I laminated all 3 together with regular white glue and clamped them to one of my drinking glass to form the curve at the bow. Bending a solid piece of ebony at 3/32nd's wood of been a bear.
I took a basswood stripe of 3/32 and clamped it to the hull after I transferred the locations measurements from the plans. The basswood was for practice and once in place I took some tape to mark the full strake. Once I was done I knew exactly where I was going to place the Wales. I added two strakes of boxwood above the Wales also.
I did this to help me verify that i placed the deck clamp in the correct loactions. because once the deck beams and ledges and the 1/16th thick deck planking was in place, my third boxwood strake wood line up perfectly. I did this because the third strake is where the scubbers reside.
I did a lot of measuring and re-measuring and transferring those measurements and re-checking again and again. Remember the jig I used from the kit had to be removed to do all this. Plus the rest of the practicum was with the hahn upside down jig. I doing this in no jig at all from here out. PLUS I AM FIRST TIMER ON POF WITH THIS MUCH DETAIL.
I did not mind because it help me from concentrating too my on my knee. I was really getting into it. I also cut out the stantions. I had to completely cut out the howes timbers and the catheads. The laser cut frames from the kit were too short. So I added a piece and pegged it to the existing frame.
My apologies with not having enough pictures to show all this, because of my hurting leg. Not in the picture taking mood. Advice blow up your knee like I did and it won't hurt so damn much! HAHAAHA!!!

1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0928.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0937.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0926.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0949.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0950.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0951.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0941_.jpg

1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0935.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0942.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0943.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0944.jpg
1525236816_1925_FT24836_img_0952.jpg

As I continue on I sure my plan comes together and my measuring is spot on or so close that I'm happy with it.

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Nice work Mario. 

I hope your recovery from knee surgery goes well and your 100% soon. Having the model to work on should make it a little easier to deal with.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Very nice joinery, Mario. And a clear explanation. :cheers:

Follow the doctor/therapist's orders. Getting one's major joints repaired/replaced is a bear, but when the exercises are done correctly, no one will ever know you had the work done. I've had a hip replacement, but have no evidence other than a scar you know where.;):)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

sorry to hear of your knee problems Mario........I hope your recovery has you bee-bopp'in around in no time  :)    I like the way you made those cuts into the beams.....it'll keep the part from fall'in through.........happens to me from time to time ;)    look'in very good .......super nice progress!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Al, Ken, and Denis,

Thanks for stopping by and your kind remarks!

I try to give as much info of my building process as I can. So if others have questions I had hoped with my detailed explanations I could answer some of their questions. When I read some builds that have very good details it helps me a lot. There are builds that really great work but not much explanation how did it and I wish they had.

The practicum is very good. But I treat any practicum like the "PIRATES CODE". It's more like guide lines. I go by what it says and at times I go with what feels right for me to get it done. The big difficulty with this kit is the jig. The jig is nice, but once you get to a certain point it has to go. Hahn's jig the model is left in during the planking. I had to remove it because i could not put the Wales on. Most of the hull and the deck will be planked.

Thanks for stopping by

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hi Mario,

Good to see you back and that the surgery part is over.   Is the Hannah a single decker or is there a deck below? I'm thinking the orlop deck....   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hi Mark! That question does not even surprise a bit. I offend wondered myself. Thanks for stopping by Buddy! You will find my answer some what down below.

Last of the deck framing is done, with the completion of the last ledging and the breast hook combination at the bow.

Now for the poop deck framing. For the stantions I first make small cuts into each frame with my rotary tool. it makes it easier then starting with an exacto knife. the rest of the cut is done with an exacto saw blade. Then finished up with manicure files.

Now I was going to continue on with the Poop Deck. But Mark Taylor  presented a question to me. Did the Hannah have a Orlop deck? I offend wondered about this. Did Hahn omit this from his model for the simple reason he was construction a model simplified for the first time POF model builder? I don't know. I hope Dave Stevens takes a look here on my build log and maybe answer my question here. Hahns book does stated the Hannah was basicly build from examples from the Halifax back in 1775 I think. I still have access to the hull interior, so I am tempted to do this if I can get clarification on the interior of the hull.
I also wondered about hanging knees and where would they be located at and the lodging knees. The ships smoke stack....there has to be a lower deck where the stove is located. Am I correct about that???

IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTIONS PLEASE CHIME IN. BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A LOT MORE FUN WITH THIS MODEL!!!

I added a picture of the Halifax to help with these questions.

1525546566_1925_FT24836_img_0961.jpg
1525546566_1925_FT24836_img_0962.jpg
1525546566_1925_FT24836_img_0964.jpg
1525546566_1925_FT24836_img_0968_.jpg

1525546566_1925_FT24836_img_0971.jpg
1525546566_1925_FT24836_img_0974.jpg

I have the Poop Deck ready to go. But going to wait a little bit to see if I get any answers to my questions

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

I picture of the Halifax that brings up my questions.

1525546781_1925_FT24836_img_0972.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

I was planning on stopping on the Hannah a bit after I completed the Poop Deck framing. I wanted to start another scratch build. I have a buddy who wanted to build a model boat so i gave him one of my kits. He is a good model builder, but never made a boat. I gave him the kit under the condition I got the box , book, and plans back unscathed. So he made copies and wrote all over his and cut out portions out to do his build. He did a great job. So I am going to start making the build board will I hopefully get my questions answered on the Hannah. here the book.

1525548259_1925_FT24836_img_0975.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Hmm... I checked the CD... The aft deck is a poop/quarterdeck raised up from the fore/main deck.  There's no decks below these.  The Halifax is the same way.  So you're spot on, sir.  Which basically means they're refurbished cargo vessels with a large open hold....  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Halifax had a discontinuous lower deck with a large hold between the masts.  The aft portion was a captains and officers sleeping area, and the forward lower deck held the ship’s stove.  See Bob Fine’ log on handling this deck.  Hannah and Halifax were VERY similar vessels.