Chaperon 1894 by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Sternwheeler Steamer

oh!   it's art Mike........well worth the wait!   great looking turnbuckles.....kit supplied or hand made?   I do notice the starboard side doesn't follow the slot in the deck......minor adjustment?   it looks superb though........a stunning key point of the model  :)  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have to admit that the turnbuckles were kit supplied. I am not clever enough nor do I have the kit to make my own like Kurt did. Minor adjustment only but thanks for pointing it out about the slot. I'll bet that has a posh name too !!!

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Mike:

Looking Good!  I like the dark buckets - good contrast.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt, I almost don't like to ask because I think it's something to carry water in but, what is a bucket ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Mike:

The planks of the wheel are called Bucket Boards.  I don't know if that term was used in the kit instructions or not but it's common usage. 

When you mentioned a bucket for water, one thing I meant to add to the model and never got around to it was a couple of racks of fire buckets carried on the roof of the boat to stop fires started by sparks from the stacks.  I don't remember if these were included in the kit or not.  They might have been included in the kit and I didn't use them because they most likely had flat bottoms as the kit pieces usually have - fire buckets had round bottoms - and were painted red.  The round bottoms were to make them useless for anything else so the crew would know they were where they were supposed to be and not being used to swab decks or something.

Kurt 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The minor adjustment for the slot in the deck turned out to be a major incident so the best I could do was equalise the situation on both sides. It's a shame but it will have to do.

Kurt I don't understand how you can have round bottomed buckets unless one were to make something like a cannon ball rack to hold them. The kit definitely doesn't have any.

Now folks, I know I am a truly sad person (!!!) but I simply had to show you my lifeboats. They came as two shells of brittania metal and I have to say I am a bit pleased with my modifications.

post-10647-0-45195200-1477841721_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-04998000-1477841753_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-18025300-1477841785_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

Yeah, the fire buckets sit in a rack with a hole in the top board to hold the buckets upright.  Sometimes they hung buckets from brackets or stands.  The photo of my model of the Bluejacket kit of the tugboat Lackawanna shows fire buckets in the rack at the base of the stack.

Sorry, being a retired FD Chief I assumed everybody just knew this. :D 

Kurt 

post-177-0-99764900-1477843026_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-77191600-1477843047.jpg

post-177-0-80134500-1477843367.jpg

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

You didn't like my lifeboats then ?

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Kurt, I remember at some point you posting a great photo of a fire-bucket rack on a steamboat. Or was it someone else posted it, and you just explained it? Either way it was a really illustrative photo, if you know what I'm talking about and where to find it.

Mike, I did something similar with the boats for Bertrand: I wasn't happy with hollow shells either, so added wooden thwarts, tillers, rudders, etc. I think both mine and yours gained a lot from the modifications.

So only one person likes my lifeboats huh ! Fine friends you lot are !!!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hello! How did you plank the insides of those boats? They look very small, I don't know how you managed to do it.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I will assume you like them first. First thing I did was to paint the inside of the metal a wood brown colour. Then I made a paper templates and planked them ,while they were still soft I could easily mould them to fit the bottom of the boat and then glued them in and varnished them in matt varnish.

Thank you so much for noticing that I had done that. I know I didn't do any rollocks or whatever they are called and I didn't provide any oars. I did do thwart risers and thwarts (clever eh?) but I still think they look better than a bare metal husk!

Thank you so much Elijah for being my second friend!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

I like your boats.  Nice job on the planking.  You took it beyond what I did with the ones from mt build.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks Kurt, not only are you a very helpful Gentleman, you are now my third friend !!

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

OK Wackowolf, you can be my friend too even if you don't like my little boats !

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Wow. I could swear the planks were wood! Did you use standard printing paper? Yes, I do like them.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Those old catalogs are a godsend when you are looking for a shape or a part on old equipment.  A neighbor of ours likes to model old farm equipment and he as a bookcase loaded with old catalogs.  

David B

At last count Mike, 10 people (including me) liked your boats. So I guess you have at least 10 friends........ :)

I love it, people like me !!!!

In case I mislead anyone the floor of the little boats that so many like now is wood. I planked the paper template and then trimmed it to fit the floor of the boat.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I like your boats too Mike.........I've done a few things with the kit supplied boats...even the plastic ones  ;)   who says you can't make gold out of lead?!?!

the fire bucket and rack sounds like a good idea :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So, what was left to do.

Oh yes, put the lovely little boats on and rig them !! I had already made the smokestacks so they had to go on and get rigged and the planky, boarding rampy sort of thing (which I am sure has a proper term, also made up and needing to go and rig! and of course make up 9 coils of rope.

So, I did it and she is now finished !!!! Whether I put some fire buckets and holder on I will think about.

I did add an American flag of the right date just to finish her off!

Anyway, a resume. Model shipways kit. Most of the wood was good except for their basswood which I think is far too soft and warps as soon as you look at it and soaks up paint like a sponge. Their laser cutting was pretty good except for some of the very small thin pieces which surprised me. I would have thought they were the easier to make. Instructions were no better or worse than many. The plans were excellent but with one big gripe. The plan showing side, fore and aft views were not to scale which meant there was no way of taking measurements from them. They could easily have been produced to scale by using one more sheet - please take note model shipways. The brass work was first class. Not enough brass eyelets were included so it was lucky I had some spare.

Overall though an excellent kit which I have thoroughly enjoyed and would recommend.

Huge thanks to Kurt whose generosity in providing photos, better instructions and general help in answering queries without which I really don't think my end result would be as good as it is.

Also many, many thanks to those of you who have watched and posted comments. I hope you have enjoyed the build as much as I have.

post-10647-0-19568900-1478104685_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-35835500-1478104720_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-61187300-1478104759_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-39935200-1478104804_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-93797100-1478104843_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-33649000-1478104876_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-20721600-1478104910_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-09128900-1478104942_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-03677100-1478104973_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-92406700-1478105003_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Mike:

It has really turned out nice.  A very good model.

The term for the  planky, boarding rampy sort of thing  is landing stage.  And you did a good job on it too - wasn't that fun to rig into place?

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Not sure about fun Kurt but definitely a challenge !! Thanks Carl, yes two previous paddlers but they are all very different.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery: