Pirate Ship by modelshipwright - FINISHED - Pirateology - build with my granddaughter

On a recent visit by my grandkids, my oldest granddaughter, aged nine, looked at my model of The Sovereign of The Seas 1637 and said to me, "will you teach me how to do that?". I said yes and embarked on a search for a suitable model for her age group which could serve as a lesson in crafting and some really special time with her.

I located a kit on Ebay which is no longer in production which looked suitable and purchased to for the princely sum of $13. Luckily I was the winning bidder as this suited the purpose perfectly.

post-2916-0-31063300-1471781293_thumb.jpg

It consists of 156 laser cut pieces and when complete, assembles into a credible ship model for this age group.

Tomorrow, we will travel to my daughter's place and pickup up Isabella to return to our home for a 5 day visit and we will begin the building of this kit. The workplace is ready for her arrival.

post-2916-0-75807200-1471781302_thumb.jpg

I hope you will enjoy seeing the progress of this build.

Regards,
Bill

More to follow................

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Good luck,  and wait for pictures with you and your granddaughter working, all the best Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

My grandfather and I scratch built a model of the Americas Cup Ranger. We started with a black and white picture from an encyclopedia and carved the hull out of pine. I think I was around 12. One of my favorite memories! I still have the model. I hope the same for you!

~Kirby

Started this morning and there are very few instructions. It says number the parts and punch them out of the wood sheets. For more excitement, don't number them. If you number them, assemble 1 to 1, A to A etc.

Here I am numbering the parts.

post-2916-0-85788700-1471964182_thumb.jpg

Starting to figure out where everything goes, and gluing some pieces together.

post-2916-0-55502700-1471964188_thumb.jpg

post-2916-0-49484000-1471964194_thumb.jpg

post-2916-0-78822700-1471964199_thumb.jpg

Got my Home Depot apron on so I don't glue myself to the chair.

More to follow................

Edited by modelshipwright

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Extremely precious time together. Well done. Grandfather of the year award I think. Ship looks like it's coming along great.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

nice to meet you Isabella.....I hope you enjoy the medium enough to continue.   there are plenty of kits out there for your age group  ;)    Kudos Grandfather! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Second day and still no instructions Haaaaaarrrrrrrr

The next photo shows the hull and stern quarters ready to assemble. We put six cannons on the gun deck and assembled and glued the ship's wheel which is shown in place.

post-2916-0-96245800-1472056560_thumb.jpg

Next we have the stern section glued to the hull and further deck pieces glued in place.

post-2916-0-13284200-1472056566_thumb.jpg

I am having lots of fun putting this together. I hope you like it.

There is no plank to walk prisoners to the deep blue sea so we are going to add our own plank.

Isabella

More to follow.................

Hi Grandad.

It's so nice to see people's interaction between different age groups.

It's extra special for you both as you are working on the project together.

Mind You.. it looks like she is doing most of the work.

Love the last pic with the Safety googles. It's the only way to start..

All the best Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Wow! That's an awesome job your doing! Well done. It will be good to see this plank to walk.

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

Excellent. Nice to see a new member in this hobby.

Wait for something bigger from her.

All the best to her and to you. Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

looking sharp Isabella.......are there any more cannons to put in?   if the instructions are anything like the ones we see.......your better off using them just as a reference!  :D :D    I believe constructo has a kit like that out there.   glad to see your having a fun time with this kit.........hope to see you continue.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

looking sharp Isabella.......are there any more cannons to put in? if the instructions are anything like the ones we see.......your better off using them just as a reference! :D :D I believe constructo has a kit like that out there. glad to see your having a fun time with this kit.........hope to see you continue.

They only gave us 6 cannons. I am going to add more pirates made out of acorns I found in grandpa's backyard.

Isabella

Thank you for all the nice comments, but it is not finished yet. We still have to put the sails on the masts.

Here are some photos of me gluing the sides, as well as with the mast assembled and an acorn pirate walking the plank we added to the ship.

post-2916-0-28830000-1472144247_thumb.jpg

With the mast glued on.

post-2916-0-05537400-1472144252_thumb.jpg

Acorn pirate walking the plank.

post-2916-0-62984000-1472144255_thumb.jpg

Isabella

More to follow..... we are going swimming as it is hot.

ARRRR!! Isabella, Yer ship is lookin mighty fine. Yer little pirate laddy is lookin mighty regretful for all his misdeeds, Maybe you could grant him mercy and press him into service on her majesty's ship.   Bill in Idaho

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Shiver me timbers!!!!! The first victim of the plank already!!!!

Regards, Scott

Completed builds:

Awaiting construction:

I say..........feed 'em to the squirrels!   awesome job!    will there be other pirates on board?    Imagination is the key!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

So here is the finished model of the boat ,showing the left,the right,the front and the back of the boat.

post-2916-0-42533400-1472219360_thumb.jpg

post-2916-0-91827900-1472219364_thumb.jpg

post-2916-0-01129000-1472219374_thumb.jpg

post-2916-0-57222600-1472219382_thumb.jpg

post-2916-0-59152700-1472219388_thumb.jpg

Here is me with my boat

post-2916-0-46939700-1472219395_thumb.jpg

PS. thank you for all the  nice comments and for all the support even when the boat parts would't go together.

Isabella

that's the modeling medium in a nut shell......it has it's ups and downs,  but the finished model makes it all worth it.   great looking model Isabella  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Isabella,

You go girl!! Your grand father could have done no better just perfect. 

Great model Great smile. ;)  ;)  ;)

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Today we are takng Isabella back home to mum and dad with her completed ship model. She is very proud of her accomplishment and wants mum and dad to see it.

Thank you to all of you who commented in this thread. She was very excited to see that people from Australia, the USA, Canada and Great Britain, would be interested in her ship. It has opened up a whole new world to her and I am grateful for your support.

Lastly, I highly recommend building a model with a child. It is such a special feeling watching her keen interest in building sometiing like this.

Thanks again,

Bill

my two grandsons got me a snap together model of the Black Diamond for Christmas {Revell}.    I built it......adding rigging,  since it didn't come with any.   my son told me it was their idea.......their choice.   they love to come over and look at my boats.....I sometimes take any one they question off the shelf,  to a lower table,  and we talk about it.   on one of my outings to the hobby store,  I picked up two snap together cars for them to try.  times and schedules being as hectic as they are,  we kept missing one another.......that is until a day came where we were asked to do a bit of babysitting.   it was the younger one's birthday {or as close as can be}....so he had presents from us as well.  we had fun building the cars.......they even got to roll them around on the floor...fun time!   Tripp's presents was these two large lego sets.......we had even more fun putting those together  :)

it was my pleasure to follow your grand daughter's build.   the youth today are very creative.........and if one can bring it out......then you are to be commended for introducing them to crafting { I was going to say at the beginning,  that there are many different type of wood working,  but I didn't want to douse the flame}.  kudos to you.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: