USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

Per the USS Constitution Museum’s Restoration Log, “Constitution’s Modern Armament,”:

Her first 20th century restoration in 1906-1907 saw fifty-five replica guns made for the ship. All of the present guns were cast for the 1927-1931 restoration with the exception of two 1812-era replica carronades on the after quarter deck. Cast in 1981, these carronades are closer to Constitution‘s 1812 spar deck armament. The gun deck guns were cast in the Charlestown Navy Yard in 1929. The pattern of these guns was based on a British siege gun that was abandoned in Boston during the American Revolution and is currently displayed near Harvard University. The decision to cast “British” guns was made by Lieutenant John A. Lord, Supervisor of the 1927-1931 restoration. He based his decision upon inaccurate research that led the Navy to mistakenly believe that Constitution was outfitted with British guns in 1812.

So, the odd ball cannonade with the elevation screw is the more accurate version. The choice is yours as the model maker…and mine too when the time comes for me to make the choice.

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

I knew someone had an explanation for this question.  Thank you Jon.
With so much time invested in the carriages, at this point, looks like I am pretty much committed to the 1927 version.  The 1812 version with the elevation screw mechanism changes everything.  
Cheers 

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

1 hour ago, usedtosail said:

I must apologize Tom.  As many times as I have visited your beautiful build, I never took note of the fact that you bashed the carronades into the 1812 version.  I do admit, I do tend to focus more on graphics than text.  

Beautiful job, and I salute the fact that you took on the challenge.  

Way to go Mate.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks Dave. No problem at all. I have trouble keeping track of what I have done on my own model, let alone what others I have seen. Now its your turn to take up the challenge, no?

Think I'll have to steer away from the screw elevation Tom.  Much too far along with the carriages at this point.

Please don't dare me Mate. 

In my younger days, I’ve been known to jump off high buildings with an umbrella on a "dare"...... yahahahaha

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

The one with the screw elevation is a true carronade. It is also mounted differently to it's slide with a pin that runs underneath the barrel.  The other type of cannon is called a gunnade and is more like a cross between a carronade and a traditional cannon in that it has trunnions and a quoin but is mounted on a slide.

Also the carronade carriage is fixed in place via a pintle inside the gun port.

The gunnades were made for the ship in error during her 1920's refit.  Currently the ship has only two carronades.

Oops, didn't read on in the posts.  Already explained!!

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Thanks for joining the discussion Henry.  Yes, by now I have managed to thoroughly research the entire topic after being pointed in the right direction.  Very timely in my case as I was able to build two of my gun carriages for those two “true carronades”.

My good friend, Tom, will pleased to know I will be building two guns with screw jacks.

As for progress report.... All 20 spar deck carriages built, but not painted.

I also decided NOT to cast the gun forms because I am not at all happy with the prototypes I created several months ago.... besides all that, my 2-part silicone mix has gone bad so I can’t make a new rubber mold.

So we’re now in the process of turning all of the carronade barrels individually.

As of this morning, eight down - ten to go.

Cheers All

Sawdust Dave -

Spar deck armament note....

Slowly working on the guns and carriages and rigging for the 20 placements on the spar deck.
Just curious, this morning I did a quick count of all the various parts required to scratch build a single cannonade..... came up with 56 parts each.  
To the casual observer, the 1,100 parts, and the precise assembly of each, that go into creating those deck guns are so far beyond comprehension. .
Ever question why we do this stuff?!

:default_wallbash::piratetongueor4:

Merry Christmas Mates!

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

The guns will go quickly. You picked the right time of the year to do them. A little wine, good food, family, and a few weeks and they will all be done. :). I am looking at the same problem as you, only with the standing rigging. Knots! Knots! Knots! I am actually looking forward to doing the barn chores this morning before working on rigging. Oh, by the way the morning temps are 23 degrees and windy. When you push up the manure pile you make the wind is blowing in the right direction! :)

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

Geoff.... Just revisited your build.... and I am SOOO inspired!
Maybe by this time next year I should be somewhere near where you are..... although not nearly as well done.
Beautiful work sir!  And thanks again for providing such a great source of reference.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Guns Progress....

A couple of quick shots.
Note the two carronades and slides at the top, along with the two long gun carriages.  The other 15 carriages are for the cannonades.... (one missing from the photo is now in position on deck where I'm working on the first rigging).
Also note I still have two long guns to turn to complete the full 20 gun spar deck armament 

guns1.JPG.d2f57871d87cd24ecf5f320429e35978.JPG

A closer look at the unpainted cannonades....

guns2.JPG.82872aaf4670bc4b23b17c18c634c5b1.JPG

Ready to begin detailing the carriages......

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Just catching up Dave........ you are doing  some outstanding!! work on this model ... she's going to be a real Beauty! ! ...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Caught up with you Dave - after my computer hard drive crash.

Nice work on the cannons.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

GUNS - UPDATE....

Thanks again for the visit Piet.  I took a short break to post a few quick shots of the progress on the spar deck guns.  
For many years, having rigged dozens of deck guns, I found a small detail I have long overlooked with regard to the quoins.  How many of us have simply stuck a shaped handle on a wedge and glued it directly onto the carriage beneath the gun?

A closer look at the Connie's guns, I find that the quoin's have a rib on the bottom which rides in a groove which is cut into a separate base fixed to the carriage.... (seen below)

cannon.jpg

So, I have attempted to emulate that little detail by placing the quoins onto strips of poster board.  Unfortunately, the groove is visibly lost with two coats of paint.

quoins.thumb.JPG.e77ded775664fcfab7990da0fd2213e1.JPG 

quoins2.JPG.6374b8d95bcdc9be2d72c08dd9b2aeec.JPG

Another little note to pass on is a technique I am using to attach the breaching-tackle to the bulwarks....
Rather than fit the belaying peg to the ship and wrestling with getting the seized rope onto the fixed peg, I have glued the pegs into the rope ends.... note the very sharp tips that can be inserted into holes drilled into the bulwarks.  

5a3bd4aeea691_ropepin.JPG.b3f9014355f8677bbd9e0c621d9b9cbb.JPG

Finally.... a shot of assembled guns in progress.  Now working on the tedious rigging of the 3/32" blocks purchased from Syrenshipmodelcompany.com.... thanks Chuck.

guns3.thumb.JPG.6c82f248d95ed4bf117d21bbe321f7f9.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Looking good. I don't think people realize how many "mini" kits are the Constitution. The cannons, the boats, etc. It really makes the kit a great build and learning experience. It also makes the the kit a very "long" build. Keep us posted.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

33 minutes ago, Geoff Matson said:

Looking good. I don't think people realize how many "mini" kits are the Constitution. The cannons, the boats, etc. It really makes the kit a great build and learning experience. It also makes the the kit a very "long" build. Keep us posted.

You are so right Geoff.  As a scratch builder, I don’t think I could have tackled this without the experience gained with a dozen previous models over the last ten years. I’m just glad I saved this very special ship for my last major project as she deserves my best effort.

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, what you say about that cannon pictured is true...except the cannonades (which are not accurate to the style of 1812) are a bit different. They have the groove in the quoin.

Just to make things a bit more confusing

Jon

Boston uss constitution 101.jpg

Driving me NUTS with stuff like this Jon.

So I did fail to note the difference in the quoins between the long guns and the cannonades.  Dag nab-bit!!!

Too late now.... all done with quoins. 

They is what they is!

:pirate41:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Oh, I'm really sorry. The good news is that 99.999% of the people who will see your model won't even take notice and won't know what a quoin is let alone whether it is correctly depicted. Ours is a lonely art, only you and God know what is right or wrong in our models.

Jon

My bad on the quoin mistake.... not the only DOWNER for me today.

Just did a re-count on all of my inventory of assembled guns and came up two short on the required cannonades.

Back to the lathe one more time.

:default_wallbash:

Am I alone with these kind of screw-ups?

:piratetongueor4:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

You have no idea how big the Screw-Up Club is!! I'm a lifetime member too.

Me too Dave!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Like Jon I to am a life long member of the long and distinguished list of screw-ups. Screw-ups are just mis-judgements turned into learning lessons.   :cheers:

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

OK, so we all have our screw ups.  

I do like Ken’s view about “learning lessons”.  And Jon’s reminder that most of our mistakes are between “you and God”.... but I must add “your MSW friends” to that short list.  

Oh!  One other.... THE DREADED CLOSE-UP CAMERA!  (Sees all - Tells all)

:D

Merry Christmas All

:cheers:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Screw up club? See my build log. The good news is that by the second or third time I do something I am usually pretty happy with it.

Charter member of the Screwup Club here.... Well done Dave.  You're getting there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)