USS Constitution by SawdustDave - FINISHED - 1:60th Scale

As I began working on the three sets of davits, I am running across a few details I left undid.... with intentions to eventually come back to them.
One example being this strip of shaped molding just above the upper gun ports.
I remember deciding that I didn't wish to take the time of scraping the profile into the strips at that point..... then completely forgot about it until now.

No time like the present, huh?
molding.JPG.51291a813b88b3b618fc72faf166e86b.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

And whilst in the mood, decided it's about time to break out the carving utensils.... been looking forward to this for a very long time.

spardeck9.thumb.jpg.b15a9b8f134596e8b620a792d37bfbdc.jpg 

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Two quick shots this morning....
First - The davits completed painted and installed....

Second - The first two gangway board carvings done....

aa.thumb.JPG.54e229700b85e667780a78fc3d134125.JPG

aa2.thumb.JPG.a98afcd9b1ac86c7f051623b3bb0f6e4.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

I'm amazed you even attempted those carvings, let alone succeeded in pulling it off! Well done!

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Jon.  

My carving has gotten a little rusty, but seemed to be coming back as I got into the second board.  Times like this makes me wish I had stuck with my original plan to build her 1:50th scale.

Also, these closeup’s will help me go back and clean up some of the rough spots, although, the scale really doesn’t allow a lot of improvement.

Two more to match these, then I think the others will be a piece of cake by comparison.

Cheers

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

PLANNING AHEAD....

While working on the several remaining board carvings, the sequence of upcoming progress is going through my mind.
My thoughts are.... it seems like I should work on the bumpkins and channels next.... followed by hammock stanchions and netting.
I'm throwing this out for input from some of you who might be kind enough to give me your thoughts because I'm pretty bad for getting myself in a jam by doing these things in the wrong order.
Any thoughts?

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

Looks like a plan. As for the hammock goodies... hold off as long as possible as they will be in the way during rigging.  Not saying build them now while you have room to work on fitting, etc. but hold of installing until the rigging is done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark....That is exactly the reason I posted the question.

So many times, I find myself saying..... “Wish I would have done this first.... or waited ‘til I had done that other thing”..... You folks know what I mean.  We’ve all been there - did that.

Sawdust Dave -

2 minutes ago, SawdustDave said:

Mark....That is exactly the reason I posted the question.

So many times, I find myself saying..... “Wish I would have done this first.... or waited ‘til I had done that other thing”..... You folks know what I mean.  We’ve all been there - did that.

Yeppers.   The problem is, I keep doing it.   I think one of the definitions of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results...  I guess this shoe fits me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Skylight looks great Dave.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Here's one for the historians....
I use the online Virtual Tour a lot and quite often run into things seen there that are considerably different than the plan sheets I am using to build her.
I do understand, with the numerous restorations she has gone through over the years, they have made these major changes.
So when did they lower the bulwarks amidship down to what appears to be about a foot above the spar deck?
Also noting that the threshold between the gangway boards is right down on the deck, which I assume was done for public safety.

Just curious.

Dave  

Sawdust Dave -

Nice work on the carvings Dave.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

6 hours ago, SawdustDave said:

Here's one for the historians....
I use the online Virtual Tour a lot and quite often run into things seen there that are considerably different than the plan sheets I am using to build her.
I do understand, with the numerous restorations she has gone through over the years, they have made these major changes.
So when did they lower the bulwarks amidship down to what appears to be about a foot above the spar deck?
Also noting that the threshold between the gangway boards is right down on the deck, which I assume was done for public safety.

Just curious.

Dave  

Dave,

During the refit before this latest one the goal was to bring the ship to a more 1812 appearance.  So they lowered all of the bulwarks and cut down the amidships portion to what it is now.  They also put the missing camber back into the spar deck to improve drainage.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

My two cents about the open waist.  Here is the US Navy plan for the open waist dated August 2009.

002-08-2009 - Open Waist.jpg

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

The main gangway boards installed.
Sea steps installed.

Bumpkins and davits installed.
Managed to get all of the channels cut and just finished installing the aft channels on both sides....
aa3.thumb.JPG.6f25cdad5761a37f4b95b4c2951b94e9.JPG

aa4.JPG.2d8deca10dafe4e43361cb62554b313c.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

CHANNELS AND DEAD EYES INSTALLED....

Totally happy to have the channels and chainplate installed for both sides of the ship.  I agree with the earlier comments of others as to the slow tedious work involved with this process.
Before moving on, I took advantage of the slight overcast morning to move her outside and capture a few quick progress shots.

My plan from here is to go back to the carvings of the four smaller boards, begin creating hammock netting frames, and also returning to finish up the out haul tackle rigging for the spar deck guns along with a number of inboard details I plan to revisit before turning to the development of her masts and spars.

aa5.thumb.JPG.228334881d067724c09fc60e176dd92f.JPG

aa6.thumb.JPG.86da4654eaadd925ee3c5517daa9ade1.JPG

aa7.JPG.68b9beddf6d279cc07236d8f353b41c1.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

2 hours ago, Tigersteve said:

How long is the bull at this point, Dave? Nice work throughout. 

Steve

The length of the ship’s hull is 36-3/4” measured from the outer edge of the bow rail to the outer edge of the stern rail.

Thanks for the visit Steve

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Love the outdoor shots Dave, she's looking awesome.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Our two granddaughters are visiting this weekend from Austin Texas.  We only get to see these girls about once a year, so this is a very special occasion.

Since all of my ships will eventually become the property of my five grandchildren, they were extremely interested in the Constitution, and wanted to do something to contribute to it.

So here they are gluing the main fife rails to the spar deck.

Parker age 8  and Hattie, age 6..... as sweet as they are beautiful.

aaaa2.thumb.JPG.38662552e805d0fbd06d61fcc7559e67.JPG

aaaa1.thumb.JPG.2fce90a3181223950168ae8ddd417632.JPG

Sawdust Dave -

Great photos and even better memories for you and the girls Dave.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

58 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

Great photos and even better memories for you and the girls Dave.

Pat

Thanks Pat and Al....

I let the girls choose from my little "fleet of models" the two ships they want to stake their claim on.
Parker (the older) chose the Constitution.  
Hattie chose the Confederacy.
The three older boys will have to choose from seven other pretty fair models.

Hope they don't all wind up for sale on ebay.

Cheers

Sawdust Dave -

Beautiful kids Dave.What a nice gesture letting them help with the build, they'll remember these moments with you forever.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

The four anchors ready to be rigged to the ship.

This fairly straight forward task was complicated by the fact that I had overlooked the rectangular hatch where this anchor is stowed.  

Hull surgery at this stage not recommended.....
Also note the installation of the  studding boom.

aaa2.thumb.JPG.0bfe354f6476db813f3107bedb6b3458.JPG

aaa1.JPG.c0a52d1a0e8da5c0b133a686400e730d.JPG

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave, the build is coming along great! Love all the details, they are always fun to add. I had my granddaughters help as well during mine and the younger 4 year old loved making rope on the rope walk.

keep up the great job!

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/