USS Spruance DDG 111 by RGL - FINISHED - Trumpeter - PLASTIC

Oh, boy, a Spru-can. I'm in. And a front row seat, to boot! And the host bought the beer. Bring over the popcorn maker.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

You Tin Can sailors are all alike! :) I wish there was a Spruance that us land lubbers could tour. Most museum ships are older.

Dirk - Do you ever finish a model? How many do you have in progress?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

9 hours ago, Koppalakki said:

Wow, this is actually funny, I just got commisioned to do the Spruance aswell! I'll be starting before the summer though so some time to plan it but really looking forward to seeing you completing this one most likely before I start on mine! :D

Ok, thanks. Yours is a very hard act to follow K, I think there’s a bit of work to go aligning the bow yet before I touch the metal bits. Always happy to go with your advice!

greg

Greg

Dirk - What about the Syren?

And Greg thanks for letting me hijack your log.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

This will be great to watch  can I bring a bench  and a fridge - oh and a barbi.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The hull is joined up. I found with my last build being Trumpeter, they give you the two options of waterline and full hull. Not a fan of this as it means the join at the waterline  has to be perfect which i find very hard to achieve. 

So, lots of pity and sanding later, all the bits and pieces shaved off the hull and deck and were’re Ready for a dry fit of the first bits of PE. 

Im not going to weather her anywhere near as much as Mr K, but I will need to re drill all the hull features and panel lines plus there are a few armour belts which have to be added prior to the oil canning process. 

I will paint the lower hull first thought. There is a LOT of PE for this kit. Not daunting, the instructions are well presented, I just have to figure what I can paint off kit and what needs to go on first. 

1211A5ED-F7FF-400E-8D65-C3434FFA7DCB.jpeg

5B054FCE-8F86-48F9-84E8-E39BEF1C3623.jpeg

Greg

Trumpeter is not as exact as Tamiya. I managed to generate a lot of gaps, but the two superstructures that are the bridge and the hangar should be flush with the hull. They were’nt thus the prodigious use of bog. 

I’m hoping it’s somewhat strait forward from here, first two bits of PE on. I intend to have one door closed so why put the hangar in? 

Basically a whole day shaving off every feature on every piece (that will be replaced with PE) and trying to align each piece. 

0300AE20-BE5F-4529-986E-B4E4D932157A.jpeg

8E021217-03BD-46E5-8CE9-FB07617E0B26.jpeg

936AC267-4DC5-43A4-9A4E-C758369F6114.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

Ok, the bridge is on, and a lot of tiny details to go, but, I’m going to stop there. The structures are now aligned. The lower hull now needs to be done. I can get that tidied up and painted then everything can be done right side up. 

The first primer coat coat shoes a LOT of sins, but that’s what by we do it. Lots of tiny gaps to fix up, then I can gentry scribe in my weld lines and measure up the armour panels and add the numerous scuppers before moving on to pre shading. 

7AA6CB72-C837-4B18-B79A-1AC0B10CAA4C.jpeg

DF48C7C1-8A81-48B1-A43A-91485BC039BA.jpeg

E6D7A2E6-9042-4D52-9CB4-9EA78CAAD77C.jpeg

A7047565-A4D1-49CF-9EB2-FC7F9CB87573.jpeg

3CC5AE04-612E-410C-A7D7-F2FA3FF45FC8.jpeg

Greg

Have you thought about doing the UK Royal Navy equivalent  next - Type 45 Destroyer:)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

So, I’m telling Banyan yesterday how I hate Vajello paints. My AK grey primer has gone off (clogs the airbrush immediately) so I use Vajello primer. Let it sit for over 12 hours. Do some very light masking to get ready for pre shading and the stuff comes off like sim after a bad sunburn. 

Re strip, Re sand and Re order some more AK primer. I’ll probably just use Tamiya rattle can for the lower hull but I’ll never ever use any Vajello again. I have never used their grey primer before and never will again. 

D0110AB2-3BA5-41BC-861E-0D64FF5883FE.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

After I'd finished painstakingly planking my Syren deck, I was extremely excited to apply a Mastic as a final finish.  Unfortunately, I'd used Sharpie "permanent" markers to color the edges of the planks, and the Mastic reacted with the ink; my pristine deck looked like someone had slathered mud all over.   The next day, a light sanding was able to restore the deck, and now I can look back on that experience and just chuckle.   The beauty of our hobby is that we can usually recover our projects when bad things happen. :D

P.S.  The mug.... Children are Maggots...    lmao..  I must have one.

• 3 weeks later...

So work and sports commitments have had me away for awhile. It took Australia Post 2 weeks to deliver a parcel containing a new bottle of AK primer from Victoria to Canberra which closed down the painting booth anyways. 

Yesterday and and today I completed the second smokestack. 

A few few things about tools, the little set of pliers is probably the Best Buy I’ve done in years, it stops PE getting flung around the room. It holds pieces steady whilst glueing. I wish I bought one years ago. Secondly the $20 light from Ikea is the best light source I’ve found. 

D53FEEBE-A153-4B7C-9546-D6CAC5227B0C.jpeg

5DECE77C-6E18-40C4-9D80-D2EC55E38C38.jpeg

EC22BDA1-BD0E-43BF-BBCF-02C77C1B662C.jpeg

ECAF0BCF-BD8E-43BE-97F0-7AB969CD163F.jpeg

CEEF96C4-3706-4628-8243-8711B8AF9B3A.jpeg

Greg

Hi Greg; sorry   for being AWOL for this build - hope there is some prime viewing room left :)  Great subject and you have made some really good progress; that hull looks very true with the primer.

As to Vallejo; couldn't agree more - I tossed mine.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

The real deal has weld lines all down the hull and visible panels. I’ve scribed in the weld lines and will pre shade for oil canning . There are a plethora of bilge holes which I have drilled in based on photos of the ship. I can now paint below the waterline and see if the primer stays on this time. 

5A5E9088-C5E3-494F-AADE-913F45CD5E33.jpeg

03D2AE27-379E-4C57-A54B-765F4893BAD1.jpeg

Edited by RGL

Greg

Oil canning started on the lower hull. The instructions say that the lower hull should be Coca Brown but I think I’ll just use that as the base undercoat. As you can see from the real think it is a lot brighter.  About a day’s work to do up the black lines then filling in the spaces. 

57DA2F02-26EF-4940-BA99-224D13AD82D9.jpeg

B0CB554E-596C-4CC2-A5A6-19C71862B7EC.jpeg

Greg

Nice airbrush control and technique Greg, looking good.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)