Royal Louis 1780 by EJ_L - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

Loverly work  - she is becoming a realy beauty.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you all for continuing to follow along. I know this has been a slow build so far. 

This update has the stern planking, poop deck, and cabin windows completed and ready for finish. I have spun the build board around and am ready to finish the bow and forecastle work. Once that is built, it will be out to the shop for more sanding and sealer. 

AD82C36D-A542-4E00-A56C-2D8A2E35E549.jpeg

BAC081FC-80F3-44DD-9958-D3A5B5E8B99A.jpeg

429D8232-B1BD-4C90-B6D1-6C6F4B510557.jpeg

66966694-050C-4338-A0D4-6197FC6D28FE.jpeg

0E5E584A-EADA-49B2-AC64-2BBAA17F54A0.jpeg

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Take your time, Man - she’s coming along beautifully!  I’m wondering whether the kit provides fittings for the transitional hance pieces that foot each step in the sheer.  I’m not sure if I’m using the correct terminology, here.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

I'm not completely sure which pieces you are referring to Marc. Can you point to them on a picture or where they go? I have a lot of fittings so it is likely that the kit did come with them. 

I will say in regard to the fittings/furnishings/decorations etc., that the kit provided pieces are of decent quality. For someone not looking to make their own, these can be easily cleaned up, painted and used to create a very pleasant model. The biggest issue with them are the ones such as window frames and the decorative railings. Their appearance is fine, the railings are actually quite nice, however they were cast straight. While the metal is soft enough that it can be bent to proper contours, it also breaks easily and since it is so soft, it is easy to mar the designed with pliers or clamps if extra caution is not taken.

My other piece of warning on them is pay attention to how they fit as you are building. Especially the stern windows and the decorative arched transom pieces. Part of my problems stem from the fact that I modified my stern to allow for interior cabin spaces which has change the designed shape enough that the frames do not fit properly. Even if I had not done so, I think there would likely be some issues with how they fit if care is not taken while building.

Most of these I will only be using for reference or place holders for dimensions as I intend to do my own carvings and detail work. A couple of others though I am using in limited capacity. The ships wheel is one that I decided to use. The cast metal wheel assembly is fairly nice and since the wheel is nearly completely hidden under the poop deck, I saw no reason to make my own. The stern has the ship's name on plaque that was part of the lower cabin window assembly. I made my own frames and trim but I did cut free the name plaque as it is nice and will install it once it is painted and the hull is prepped.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Ah! No, that they did not provide. My S.R. kit did come with some made of metal, but they looked terrible in my opinion so they were tossed to the scrap pile. I had not given much thought to making those transitions decorative, just plain walnut at the moment. Might be worth reevaluating though.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, the hull is fully planked! Just applied the clear coat and now waiting for the ship to dry. In the meanwhile I can give the shipyard a much needed cleaning. Now to start working on details, furniture, trim and decorations. I will add some better pictures once she is dry and I can move her to a better lit area. 

6E9B0A37-C8D9-43F6-B75C-0330AC969F76.jpeg

685744C4-57DB-4451-9605-F64FAD86B213.jpeg

F480C8B6-A2B8-48E6-994A-DB5242BEC534.jpeg

F143F69E-36A6-4F2E-BD8E-D9E571F3620C.jpeg

4DC9A88C-9EF8-46D9-8D73-09A881F5B605.jpeg

E16F7E89-6B9D-44F9-8AE6-3BB1468E2945.jpeg

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

• 4 weeks later...

Building the quarter galleys, again... I’ve had to do a few rebuilds but I am getting there. On the wide blank spaces on the trim as well as the walnut panels below the windows will have decorative pieces that I will carve out of plastic once the wood trim is completed. The upper QG will also have a wrap around rail that will connect to the arched taffrail. 

A4C99FD9-554F-4F86-A0C8-F3F1B2D47F92.jpeg

7406F5B7-AE0C-40E8-98E6-FFF91EA03DA9.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Those windows look delightfull EJ,    they really add to all that superb detail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

On 12/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, Bo Hammer Jensen said:

I have found a broken model of this Royal Louis make. I am looking for a few of the special "dummy canons". It seems that you would not use the enclosed ones, but build your own ones. Woul it be possible to obtain some  from your kit?

Regards

Bo Hammer Jensen

Copenhagen Denmark

boh@post4.tele.dk

Bo, possibly. I have actually used several of the cannon carriages already for the one mounted on the main gun deck below the quarter and forecastle decks. The middle and lower gun decks only used wood blocks. I will likely be using the provided barrels, though that may change. I am looking at ways to possibly cast or turn my own barrels, especially for the exposed guns on the upper deck, but I am not yet fully decided. If I decide not to use these parts, I will let you know.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Quarter galleys are built. Next up will be the structure for e decorative arch on the stern, and then I can begin adding the decorative carvings. 

9EB3770D-8607-4B23-B669-A2B43E4A98BE.jpeg

9D3D36E7-EA4E-434B-8006-488CFB4EB968.jpeg

E9FEB05C-DB65-4043-88E6-780FCDDC10B8.jpeg

992977F8-5431-48A5-8CCA-4A97F404BA58.jpeg

8EF2AFA9-DE4B-4A93-BB47-A8B4DDC5B20A.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ:  Great work!  This boat is huge!  But you just hang in there and "Do It".

Keep at it.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken! She is huge indeed and with this being my third one of this size, finding place to display them once done is becoming harder. Still, I love building them and plan on doing many more. :)

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Amazing work mate   not just in execution  but also the design for your real galleries  - superb work my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

O.C., Marc, thank you both for the kind words and thank you to all who have followed along. The co to using support is always welcome. 

More work on the stern and I now have a complete taffrail upon which I can now fit and carve the ornamentation. This also allows for the balcony railings to be designed as I now know the spacing I have to work with. 

A7FEFB0C-E1C0-402F-89FD-D0DF30FC337B.thumb.jpeg.a22a61094ff4bdc8e9a89ad842746fc5.jpeg
0D473F9F-7BF6-4B8E-9E33-7DAE2DCF4AC0.thumb.jpeg.118044e30eaa72cb8bd069a2939b926c.jpeg

For the railings, the structure framework I plan to build from wood, the decorations, as with the carvings on the taffrail, will be made from plastic then painted. I have a bunch of time off work coming up till the end of the year and am hoping to take advantage of it to get some of this done. 

Best wishes to all of you for happy holidays whichever ones you celebrate, and here’s to a better 2021! 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Balcony railing work underway. Pilasters are set but the top rail is still loose. The white blanks are plastic will be carved and painted then set in place. There is also a decorative wreath that will be carved and set in the center. The upper balcony will be of similar design. 

I have also done some more work around the stern gun ports and counter. 

9306C4B0-77F1-4386-866A-9B6ECA307BA8.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

The middle balcony railing is coming together. 

11B4790C-AD5B-4E3A-B319-2304298E1355.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Happy New Year fellow modelers! I hope this first day of 2021 finds you all well and I wish you all the best in this new year. 

Just a small update today. Work is progressing on the upper stern balcony, making the decorative railings, and fitting the various pieces. 

I do find that carving polystyrene plastic to be far easier than wood and it does take and hold detail very well. Granted, much of my issues with wood in the past has been more from inferior quality blocks of wood that was too soft for fine carving and lack of decent carving tools. Regardless of medium, neither wood nor plastic bestow talent to carve, and for that, I will need more practice.  While I do that, I am still satisfied with the results I am producing if for no other reason than I did them. 

D46A8F1F-334E-45E6-AA4D-9C66FE45AC9F.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

EJ,

Just catching up - wow - your stern work is way up there !!  arguably the most complicated and intricate area of a ship of this type to get looking right --

Superb work :imNotWorthy:  so well scaled and detailed - well done indeed.

Cheers,

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Same as everyone else  -  amazing work  thats a genuine inspiration to everyone.

All the very best to you.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you all! I’m glad I can inspire you as you do me with your own builds. 

Last day of my long holiday and I have the upper balcony railing going on. Will soon turn my attention to the QGs and the taffrail. 

3BCA88E4-B621-4C44-8424-F6398F0E04FC.jpeg

Edited by EJ_L

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Wow EJ !

i didnt know you working on the Royal Louis!

You doing a beautiful work ! 
Best regards

Michael.

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/