Royal Louis 1780 by EJ_L - Mamoli - Scale 1:90

It is finally time to start the new build! Royal Louis by Mamoli. This will be my third ship in my series of French warships. First being La Couronne, second Soleil Royal and now Royal Louis. My goal with these is to show an evolution of ship building and design throughout the 17th century and into the 18th. I am no expert on the topic, and this is really just for fun but, it has been a very learning and exciting ride so far.

Yes, Soleil Royal is still under construction and I have no intention of leaving her unfinished. Much like I did during L.C.'s build, I will be swapping back and forth periodically between the two builds. I have found that for myself on these large and very long builds, (Soleil Royal is quickly approaching the completion of her second trip around the sun with easily another to go) that being able to switch between projects helps to alleviate a lot of those monotonous places in the build that often times drives builders to quit. I just want to give fair warning that if the build goes silent for a long length of time, I'm most likely on the other and feel free to join me there! :)

Next up is the newest addition to my shipyard, the Professional Build Slip from Hobbyzone. I have been wanting to build or buy a build slip for some time and a while back I read through an excellent review and tutorial on assembling this one on MSW. Link here. I decided to give it a try. So far I am happy with it and it has already been a huge help in fixing some of my common issues of bulkhead alignment. I think this will be the start to a lot of years with a great new tool.

BS1.thumb.JPG.2913789eb3ff06f6c002fa7383baae9e.JPG

BS3.thumb.JPG.25b091918c9c7e2349851cab07b773e9.JPG

Now we come to the kit itself. Most of what is in it is fairly common kit pieces. Laser cut false keel, bulkheads and misc. framing pieces. Packages of the usual cast decorations (I will again be carving my own) canons, carriages, furniture etc. The rope looks decent. Not the best to be had but perfectly usable for anyone not wanting to upgrade and still have a nice model. The wood probably impressed me the most. Looking at the bundles, I see nice straight strips, uniform thicknesses and plenty of it. A nice change from the quality of my last two kits. How much of it will I use n this model is yet to be seen, though not from quality but, from color and species choices. Since I am trying to keep my three ships looking relatively the same, I will most likely be switching to mahogany and walnut for the outer hull. We shall see. The instructions are decent but, not for a beginner. Like most kits similar to this one, the drawings and "instructions" leave a a lot of detail out and makes assumptions that you know what you are doing in order to achieve what it shown. Plan on using a lot of outside resources for rigging, planking etc.. All part of the fun right?!

1.thumb.JPG.a2d03a3f683ab6856ff78bc213a14b19.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.e47d45930aea3496b4f76b682b2c6bbd.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.034538e170cf322d668f0ac090dcc8b1.JPG

Probably the most annoying thing so far that I have seen, is how much stuff is cast metal. Ladders, railings, the ship's wheel and even the boats are all cast metal. I will not be using any of those items on this build. Like most of these kits there are no sails, only the flags so I will need to make my own, though that is a very long time from now. I'm looking forward to another fun and educational build!

5.thumb.JPG.a38a74928ed3879f56c0f43c4089169d.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.a38a74928ed3879f56c0f43c4089169d.JPG

So let us get started. While waiting on the new slip to get here, (I had a month as it was coming overseas) I was able to get the keel glued together and test fit all the bulkheads and decks to check alignments and to see what modifications I will need to do to accommodate my personal changes. The main ones being the build out of the cabins along with lighting. I did this on S.R. and intend to do the same again. Now that the slip is in and assembled, I sett he keel in place and began to set the bulkheads and installed the first deck.

6.thumb.JPG.b83d3fd02b260cbfea520df03fee03f9.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.f3d99b31d71566f282547bce939ef2f2.JPG

8.thumb.JPG.67d7255aa713838d01ad600f8ef24718.JPG

9.thumb.JPG.81bb976ac60b235ee31ffaef62398ca0.JPG

11.thumb.JPG.e5d4e4e8dbfbf6aeac848ceb3603891f.JPG

13.thumb.JPG.3c81cebe82ca15dd4f485c4b5938f973.JPG

14.thumb.JPG.1070473cec885099ba6d0a811f627a1e.JPG

15.thumb.JPG.cc35ef7d7562b4fd57a20dfe7dee4bce.JPG

16.thumb.JPG.43108b214499426db0a0b51d0183f5d7.JPG

Off to a good start. Filler blocks, fairing the frames, extra supports and all those fun hours of sanding that go into the sub structure that make the model turn out nice is up next. I hope everyone enjoys the journey! 

4.JPG

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

This is going to be awsome  - are you starting your own navy  :dancetl6:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Wow! That's an impressive ship! Nice start EJ!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thank you all for joining the log! 

O.C., of course I’m building a fleet. You can’t control the seven seas with just one ship! Hahaha!!! :pirate41:

Been a productive week if not very exciting. Most of it so far has been spent fairing frames and building the stern counter. The fun part started happening just recently as I started to build out the interior of the lowest cabin. 

I also received more LED lights to illuminate the interior in the mail today. Just in time for the weekend! 

D2033C0A-DA80-4D4E-824C-20C407687A17.jpeg

6FA9CE5C-E969-4716-9C1B-B95CAD9E6C97.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

I did not have any problems with shipping, just took about a month to get it. Not a problem as I had plenty to do while I waited.

So far it has been worth it. It makes a solid and steady work platform and with all the components being able to tilt, swivel, slide or simply removed if not needed, it is a very versatile piece of equipment. Looking forward to seeing how it performs when I rotate the hull over for planking.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

25 minutes ago, EJ_L said:

I did not have any problems with shipping, just took about a month to get it. Not a problem as I had plenty to do while I waited.

So far it has been worth it. It makes a solid and steady work platform and with all the components being able to tilt, swivel, slide or simply removed if not needed, it is a very versatile piece of equipment. Looking forward to seeing how it performs when I rotate the hull over for planking.

Thanks EJ. 

E.J,

Nice choice !

PS: Did Hobyzone remove the 23% VAT at checkout?

Grabbed a chair for this one as well - I do like that framing jig.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael, good to have you with us for another one and yes they did that as well. I did order a few other things from them as well as the Admiral also likes some of their storage cabinets and shelves for her own crafting. That may have contributed to the ease in shipping and discounts and it definitely helped to fee up the good ship Visa for another voyage. :)

Another update on the build as the week has yielded some good work hours. Built some interior bulkheads in the lowest cabin. This space I am keeping fairly simple. I intend to put a few benches and maybe a table in here but that will be all. I did get the first LED installed so this will be visible when enclosed.

18.thumb.JPG.8c2c6e698996fda35426ed921644a754.JPG

19.thumb.JPG.c305a747a0e3565d59d09ee7e18f5fcf.JPG

Then I went back to hidden work and installed the first 66 dummy canon blocks down both sides of the hull. The kit came with cast metal supports for the canon that actually would work well except for the frame edges. Many would not match the hull's contours and I also would end up have to install wood trim over them to close out gaps and make the frames look like wood. Therefore, I decided to use wood dummy blocks and will build frames for the gun ports.

21.thumb.JPG.c6852b828f3018ccdeaff0e4134d71a6.JPG

22.thumb.JPG.453fcae4355acdba5faffbec2222bcb2.JPG

Now I am back on top and laying out more interior framing. Most of these spaces will not have too much if any detail as they will not be seen but, the aft cabin will of course be furnished out and illuminated and the forward spaces may be as well. That is still undecided at this moment. I am thinking that the Captains cabin and the adjoining rooms on that deck may all be fully furnished and visible either by the windows and skylights, or I may leave some of the deck off to allow for viewing. I will know more when I reach that deck. 

23.thumb.JPG.a02d5a8f7e998819275dbbd72d7a2424.JPG

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Very nice work   - I love your imagination  with your added fittings.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

No, that was a whoops! Indications I was getting tired and needed a break. I trimmed out the left hand side to the wrong side of the line. Easy fix but, yeah... I was going to wait to post this picture till it was fixed but, I decided it might be a good learning lesson to take a break sometimes to avoid easy mistakes.

O.C. - Imagination seems to be the best way of figuring out the interiors on some of these ships. I take what few images/plans I have and combine that with pictures from actual ships such as Vasa, Victory, Constitution etc. and also with what I have seen others do and go with what I feel might be reasonable. I think what I enjoy most about the interiors is that it adds something to these kits that is completely mine.

As always, thanks for the comments, likes and stopping by!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Always a pleasure watching your builds come to life.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

A couple more days and a few more sticks of wood are installed. The interior spaces are taking shape. 

I could have done these in a much simpler fashion as a lot of the spaces on this deck will not be detailed but, I wanted to take the opportunity to experiment and practice on ways to frame up the bulkheads. 

04003CC2-75D0-4D7B-864D-2432DD78EF0C.jpeg

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

Looking great  - I think adding an interior  even if its not seen to well, is a great idea.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Great to see another of your builds of huge ships.  You will be making lots of gun ports and carriages, etc.

And, I love to watch your carving skills.   Very inspirational.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Hi E.J., I have this kit laying around collecting dust, I like your use of dummy cannon blocks vs frames - how far back did you inset the blocks on each deck (how far will the barrels protrude from the planking?) and are you leveling them to the decks or the Hull shape? Will you use a square tube for the framing or try to fill in the individual pieces?   Nice work so far....

Edited by ASAT

Thank you all for the comments, likes and following along and a friendly welcome to those joining!

O.C. - I agree completely! Building the interiors has taught me a lot about the ships construction and interior functions that you don't really see from the outside. It is one area that I wish there was more readily available information on as it is hard to find documentation on sizes and layouts of interior rooms. I tend to piece things together from various images, guess work and common sense measurements. (Obviously, a 4 foot diameter table will not fit in a 5 foot room with space for chairs and people to sit.) To do this on most kit models, takes some thinking and modifying of the keel and bulkheads but, the effort is worth it in my opinion as you not only gain some interesting new details but, you also gain more knowledge on ship framing and construction. 

Lou - To set the blocks, I first test fit the cast piece with a canon in place to see where it would sit. Once i was happy with that location, I marked the back of the cast metal and used that mark as guide for the wood blocks. My thinking is that, that is now the furthest back the barrel would have been allowed to go had I used the cast piece. Once the hull is planked, I can always adjust the barrel to stick out further by adding shims at the base if I need it to stick out a little further. 

As to the frames, I'm not sure yet. I've always built them in the past but, using square tubing is tempting as I have so many of them to build on this one. We shall see...

The ports will follow the decks. I oversized the blocks in both width and height to help in fine tuning the alignment once I have the planking on.

As for what is coming up, I am currently planking the interior cabin walls that I framed up. I will detail them a little but will not add too much detail or any of the furniture yet. I need to establish the chases for the remaining LED lights to both this deck and the one above as well as the lights I intend to place in the forecastle areas. My plan is to have lighting in several places below decks. I have never done the forecastle interiors before so that will be new territory for me to explore and I think will add another fun detail that is often overlooked on models. Then I will begin planking!

Some time during this I will likely take a break to work on some more carvings for Soleil Royal. Lots of fun to go!

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

On Fri Nov 09 2018 at 5:10 PM, EJ_L said:

The website says that you have to get special information on shipping to the USA.  They give an email address to ask.  I have sent 2 messages with no response. What to do?  Did you have the same issue? 

Vince P. :dancetl6:

O.C. - I agree completely! Building the interiors has taught me a lot about the ships construction and interior functions that you don't really see from the outside. It is one area that I wish there was more readily available information on as it is hard to find documentation on sizes and layouts of interior rooms.

Yes that is an area that is much of a guess indeed, especially for earlier Man of War ships. That said, as many of us do - visit the Build Logs for SCRATCH SHIP MODEL  sections of MSW - some of these incredible builders, do in fact add rooms within their decks. I have visited (I know that you do as well) seen some brilliant work over on that side. 

E.J., taking these new steps with your current build is very commendable - adding to your skills and knowledge as well.

The cross section that I am currently building has also been a huge learning experience for me. Albeit no rooms are needed in this small slice of the ship, but internal construction is a "fun" learn as I go along - fun indeed. 

Nice additions to your levels of added detail that just keep getting better with each of your builds.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Vince - I apologize as I wasn't thinking but, I actually went through a US vendor for Hobbyzone products, Hobbyworld-USA. 

It will still take you some time to get the products as they have to order them in from Hobbyzone unless they just happen to be in stock but, it will eliminate all the ordering hassles and fees etc. Hope this helps!

Michael - as always, thank you for the compliments. I do indeed spend a lot of time in the scratch build sections and some of the work there is simply breathtaking! While it can be intimidating, much like your own work on your sails for Vasa, I look at it as, if they can do it, why can't I? Then it is just the "simple" matter of learning how... 🙄 

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

9 hours ago, EJ_L said:

Vince - I apologize as I wasn't thinking but, I actually went through a US vendor for Hobbyzone products, Hobbyworld-USA. 

It will still take you some time to get the products as they have to order them in from Hobbyzone unless they just happen to be in stock but, it will eliminate all the ordering hassles and fees etc. Hope this helps!

Michael - as always, thank you for the compliments. I do indeed spend a lot of time in the scratch build sections and some of the work there is simply breathtaking! While it can be intimidating, much like your own work on your sails for Vasa, I look at it as, if they can do it, why can't I? Then it is just the "simple" matter of learning how... 🙄 

E.J. nice thanks --- re: sails I'm going to explore a new way of making the sails this time around. Will try to avoid hemming  the edges, that end up looking a bit out of scale. Some ideas are already brewing. If you get to your sails first I'll share - might be of interest to you 

Cheers, 

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

There have been some very nice builds of this model, here, on MSW!  Per usual, you are off to a brilliant start, EJ, and I know your willingness to upgrade and experiment will propel this build into the next level.  I look forward to following along.  This kit is 1:90.  Is this the same scale as SR and La Couronne?

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Also, just taking a quick glance back at your earlier posts - the carving castings look to be of a pretty decent quality.  Will you use some and remake others, or do the whole ornamental scheme from scratch?

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

@ Martyn,,

I see that next to you is still place for a popcorn machine.

@ EJ,

When you don't want the machine because of the mess let me know and I will remove him.

Sjors

BTW, very nice start of another giant!

nootjes_en_popcorn_18.gif

Edited by Sjors

Welcome all!  That popcorn machine is more than welcome as I can never resit popcorn!

Michael, I will be glad to take any advice and ideas you have on the sail when I get to them. S.R. is still a ways out but, I'm am certain I will be doing a mix of set and furled sails on her. I will will be in much the same place you were with first time sail construction so that is a little intimidating. :)

Marc, to the scales between my ships, unfortunately no, they are not the same. La Couronne was 1:100, Soleil Royal is 1:77 and Royal Louis is 1:90. I wish they were all the same as I would have been very tempted to make them waterline models and placed them in a line ready for battle. As it is, the sizes of the models and then the cases for them, may end up becoming part of a dividing wall between rooms in my basement as they are so large and take up a lot of space! 

The cast decorations are indeed some of the better ones I have seen in a kit in some time. I would tell anyone, especially those who do not or cannot make their own to use them. For myself, I am planning on making my own. There may be some exceptions but, right now I am planning on carving my own. That is a skill that I want to keep developing and the only way to do it is to practice. Plus, it gives immense satisfaction in knowing I have carved them. Even if they don't look that great, they are still a point of pride.

- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Royal Caroline - Panart

20 hours ago, md1400cs said:

E.J. nice thanks --- re: sails I'm going to explore a new way of making the sails this time around. Will try to avoid hemming  the edges, that end up looking a bit out of scale. Some ideas are already brewing. If you get to your sails first I'll share - might be of interest to you 

Cheers, 

Im in a similar mind set regarding black sails for my pearl.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

OC, noted - don't want to step on E.Js log, but I keep an eye on both your logs, so if needed I'll post on mine as needed.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -