Jump to content

Medway Longboat 1742 1/2 inch scale by Jim Rogers


Recommended Posts

Picked up the kit at the Post Office, did an inventory and had trouble de-cypering some of the markings on the sheets. So I did a count, counts right so moving on. Got the scarf joint done and keel glued up. Will post pictures when I have more accomplished. I have an issue with builds. I really, really like to get them built and get to the rigging so I tend to hurry. A friend described as a building machine. My goal on this one is to slow down and be more precise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen your affliction many many times before.  Being in a hurry wont do you any favors.  This is not a project that will take you much time so there is no need to race through it.  In this scale and with this subject....any sloppy craftsmanship will stick out like a sore thumb.

 

SLOOOOW and steady.

 

Chuck

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I decided on the Lap joint so I broke out my chisels and had at it.Taking a cue from Ken W I made a copy of the keel bolts, taped on in the appropriate spot and then going against the grain, placed it on a sacrifice piece of wood and drilled all the way through, glued in the fishing line and set it aside. 

fullsizeoutput_271.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_272.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_273.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_274.jpeg

Edited by Jim Rogers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the bulkheads I sanded and test fit them in the assembly stand as I went along. Took me two days to build all the frames. Then I assembled the keel assembly to the frame assemblies. I did two test runs and the two assemblies actually went together quite well on the first one. I said HMMMM that has NEVER happened before so something must be wonky so I took it apart, put it back together. Same result. So I added glue to the mix and wouldn't you know it...........Same result. This is one finely engineered and cut kit. Bravo Zulu Chuck.

 

Fairing will have to wait a few days as the Admiral and I are off to Victoria BC for the weekend. 

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

fullsizeoutput_279.jpeg

IMG_4486.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Catching up. Everyone is building the same boat soooooo I decided to go a road less traveled. Made a few changes like the color. I originally installed the large floor boards but decided to remove them and cut them into strips. Now to look up Chuck’s instructions for making a Flag. Going French. Maybe some armament.

142BD03E-A1B0-415D-85D2-F31FE2727A75.jpeg

3DEBC85A-FC73-404B-8D1D-25E308047944.jpeg

E7B98AA0-81A0-4856-8EC0-59B314A9E8B1.jpeg

4F46B203-7FCD-402A-8C62-9786F5DCCF83.jpeg

7B3CF192-F0F0-4152-B99E-0B84A5F7C442.jpeg

C21F6527-4A79-4D33-85EE-C21754E8329B.jpeg

87E7E1EA-4BDE-4A54-8E3F-1374F7B77B8F.jpeg

1E0A9F77-6A80-44BB-9EAF-8D52CEEF5F87.jpeg

F849651B-5E49-403C-9C13-0A39C06DA5DE.jpeg

0BE0631D-F569-4F14-A55F-19802A693D58.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That looks very good.  Interesting choices.  Your craftmanship is clean and crisp.  One thing i would suggest after doing such superior work on the hull however would be to improve on those belaying pins.  It would be a shame to go with out of scale pins in what is otherwise a gorgeous model.  They look a bit bulbous and squat ...

 

 

Other than that though really beautiful work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

That looks very good.  Interesting choices.  Your craftmanship is clean and crisp.  One thing i would suggest after doing such superior work on the hull however would be to improve on those belaying pins.  It would be a shame to go with out of scale pins in what is otherwise a gorgeous model.  They look a bit bulbous and squat ...

 

 

Other than that though really beautiful work.

Thanks Chuck. I modeled the belaying pins after my current body shape short and fat. I sanded the fat out of them and they look much better, sorta like my younger self. Question would there be any cleats on a Longboat for securing mooring lines or flags on the mast?

Edited by Jim Rogers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I am waiting on some cannon balls and casks and I have to make the flag to be completely finished. I mounted a swivel gun at the bow and constructed some cargo boxes out of cherry and walnut. Ammunition holders are made of red heart. I also threw some real deer and badger pelts. I have a real nice section of Walnut Burl Veneer I’ll be making the base from. This is one sweeeeeet kit. Love it. 

E5A6DD2C-62F9-4463-891C-BC6FAF5BA02F.jpeg

662F81EB-3717-4864-8EC8-56FFE5272FA9.jpeg

98764A40-7ECD-440E-9800-9FD8EDBC71F9.jpeg

177D84A2-402F-4CE3-989B-D97EEBF070DF.jpeg

8BCF0482-61F3-4F78-9A45-BD96269C6398.jpeg

6372EF86-38AD-4F78-8E04-B3314B7D82BA.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...