Lighting the Work Area

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere I did a brief search within this forum but didn't find anything.

I am looking at replacing my existing downlights with LEDs - I currently have 35 watt halogen globes (bulbs) fitted in the downlights giving off 465 lumens - I could upgrade the bulbs to 55 watt which will give off around 600 to 700 lumens. 

So I am seeking comments on the type of LEDs to fit in terms of brightness (lumens) and colour (kelvin) which would best suit scale modelling. The 35 watts halogens are absolutely useless and give off a very soft light which is not good for modelling.

I have attached some tables I gleaned form a website on different types of globes (bulbs)

kelvin.JPG

lumens.JPG

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.100w-equivalent-daylight-5000k-a19-led-light-bulb-2-pack.1001006062.html

your best bet is probably to go to a big  home store and choose  some kind of LED light bulb

Lumen and  image.png.2d76fc712c4610085f5bfc82b6b8fea9.pngare written on the box.

In this example 1500 lumens  and 5000K

I just replaced my incandescent standard base bulbs with GE or Phillips brand LEDs like the ones Gaetan posted.  I have 2 swing arm desk lamps plus the overhead ceiling fixture to light my work area. 

I'm 100% LED.   Replacement was easy, just a trip to the local home supply store and bought in "bulk" boxes of 10.   Depending on the room and need, I use both daylight and pure white.   Cost wasn't that bad compared to incandescent.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Another consideration you may want to factor in is where the completed model will be displayed.  Most homeowners, at least here in the States, tend to prefer warm white to white in their living spaces.  Institutions and other public spaces, probably more to the white/blue end.  There will be some difference in perceived paint color if mixed/applied under one end of the spectrum and displayed at the other - if you finish your models with paint.  Our model railroading cousins frequently come up against this issue when trying to match prototype paint colors.

My own preference for brightness level is "the more the better", particularly as I grow older.  Full sunlight is on the order of 125,000 lumens per square meter, which I find pretty harsh for prolonged work, but I've never been able to approach that level on my inside work surface even with swing-arm work lights.

Bill

I just renovated my 18 x 20 workshop and redid the lighting. It's now far better than anything I previously had. 

I have 8 - 7w LED in a track configuration for general overhead illumination. Lights the room efficiently. Directly over my work areas, on a separate switch, I have 3 sets of 2- 32w 4100k fluorescent task lights.

tim

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Richmond,

I replaced the 4ft fluorescents in my work shop with these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?p=76395&cat=53&ap=1

I love them, 3800 lumens at 3000K.  Three are hooked up end to end,  solid 12ft run.  The rest are wired together so one wall switch turns them on or off.  They are a bit pricey,  but I don't think I'll ever have to replace them.

Also,  I bought them when they were first offered at $33.00 each.

Bob W

Edited by oneslim

Bob Wescott

South Jersey

I am using one 4' dual led overhead light fixture over the work bench, also have led lights in the ceiling in the garage, same area. 
With this also mixing regular "yellow" light to avoid eye fatigue while working long hours.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Today I purchased a new LED downlight as a trial - it is 1150 Lumen Daylight - I switched it on and it like a floodlight! Not recommended for living areas! but perfect for the workshop and so much better than my 35 Watt halogens.

Current Builds

Mikasa by I Love Kit - 1:200 - Plastic

HMS Beagle by Occre - 1:48 - Wood

The electrician who wired my garage for 220V suggested that I replace my 4' fluorescent  drop lights with 4' LED units.  I did.  Twice as bright and lower electricity use.  I think I will place one over my inside bench, too.  They do not weigh very much, so the ceiling hooks need not be all that robust.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

If you have a smartphone, there are apps which can measure both the lumens and color temperature using the camera,  so you can get an idea of what your prefer for different tasks.

I found that I like color temperatures in the 4000k-5000k range, with 1500 lumens for general area lighting, and between 2000-4000 lumens for detailed work.  So over the bench, I have a strip LED and two architect task lamps that can be positioned as need.  Also, a whiteboard mounted on the wall can be used as a reflector and also to make notes.

Personally I prefer a warm light in my workshop - as a hobby it should be a ’holistic’ relaxing activity and not production in an industrial setting. I know that some modellers, particularly the figure painters go to great lengths to create a day-light setting, but as noted above, in central and Northern Europe and North-America we tend to prefer warm light for our homes - in Southern Europe one sees more frequently ‚cold’ fluorescent bulbs and tubes in private homes.

For historic reasons I am still ‚mixed’, warm fluorescent and LEDs, but will switch over to the latter as when the former need to be replaced. 

I replaced the incandescent spots in my architects’ lamps with LED spots, but am not satisfied with the light distribution. Eventually I may go for large LED globes. I am also considering a large 60 x 120 cm LED panel above the work-table.

A rule of thumb seems to be to multiply the wattage of LEDs with 9 for cold and 8 for warm ones to estimate the equivalent incandescent bulb.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

One consideration is top match the light you are modeling with, with the light you will be displaying your models with. While not as big a consideration with wood ships, if you paint your models, the colors may be off if the two types of light are different. This is an important point for model railroaders.

I added new LED 4’ fixtures to my workroom.  Amazing difference!  My fluorescent was starting to go, and I noticed I was straining to see what I was working on.  Having good light is very important!

I tend to agree about having bright white light for a work area, versus softer whites for the rest of the house.  When playing with woods and finishes though, I like to bring them to a room with natural sunlight/softer white lights.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)