IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hello all

Just a wee update again.

I have re-coated the bulwark with some matt white paint.

I am now gluing on one side the post's, I did over cut most of them but will sand them down later.

I have also started to glue some of the strips of wood at the bottom of the post's, 3 strip's have to go round the bottom.

The handrail has also has to be glued on this is made up of 4 strips of wood.

I have cut the 4 post's that 2 go at the front and 2 at the back, they have a carved top, I have never done this sort of work before so I hope they are Ok.

Jo.

171809693_ILLEULO42_0002.thumb.jpg.3f62ddc6dee652ef0a9d9c3bb90c1c61.jpg2016583744_ILLEULO42_0004.thumb.jpg.49f12b75a22a52f044ffe6545f0a461b.jpg

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Jo,

Thank you very much. On my current build (1:48) I glued black construction paper to the edges of the planks and it produced very satisfactory results. But the planks were 5 mm wide, or about 12 scale inches. The paper gave about 3/8 scale inch grout, which is about right.

My next build will be 1:96 with 4 scale inch planks - and a LOT of them! The planks will be 0.04 inch wide and 0.04 inch thick, and there will be about 150 of them across the beam. I'd go nuts trying to glue very thin paper to the edges! I like your felt tip pen solution much better!

Your build is looking good!

Edited by Dr PR

13 hours ago, Dr PR said:

I like your felt tip pen solution much better!

Hello Phil

Pleased I could help you with the felt tip pen.

Jo.

Current Build:

for the simulated calking,  I use something similar....an archive pen.  I even bought a bottle of India Ink and refill the one i'm using ;)   your posts look great by the way.....even the two that stick up.   I believe they are called sampson posts :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye

Thank you for them kind words, also the info on the name of the posts.

I have to say the two posts was hard for me to do, I used a triangle needle file, I have to tell you I had about 4 goes at doing them, I could not get the 4 sides to line up ha-ha, the two you see are the best I could do.

Again thank you for your comment and all of you for the likes.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello back again.

I have finished gluing all the post on now.

Next up is to sand the tops down flush with the bulwark, after that it is bend and fit two strips round the deck/posts area.

I will also cut the hatch opening out, then plank the cabin walls.

Will not do the hand rails till I have re-painted the white on the outside of the hull.

1149408762_ILLEUDO43_0006.thumb.jpg.bba4a555d5357da8672ad350eb858f1b.jpg1303821163_ILLEUDO43_0007.thumb.jpg.cf88f4a8607042e486a145adc2d1f8a1.jpg836277020_ILLEUDO43_0013.thumb.jpg.3b04716893e702e9b1cdcc6ee05684eb.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

Lovely progress, Jo.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Mark

Thank my friend.

The wood for my next job is in the water so later today I can bend it and glue it on the deck.

Jo.

Edited by SHIPSCAT

Current Build:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Sorry I have not posted for some time as I was finding it hard to bend the wood for the handrails.

I did try soaking in water then use my electric plank bender but that did not work.

Next I found this Jeweller's jig thing, it is a flat piece of acrylic with holes in it, it came with some metal pegs that you put in the holes.

So I put the pegs in the jig about the same curve as the bulwark top, then put the wet wood round the pegs and let it dry.

All Ok but the wood has not got the same curve as the bulwark are.

So what I am doing now is putting some glue about 15mm long at the start of the handrail then out the wood on and holding it down and in place with some tape, I will do this till all of the handrail is on, this is going to take some time.

Jolene.

Current Build:

another way to make the cap rails is to trace the shape of the hull {bulwark lip} on a piece of paper.   then outline outward from the tracing the same shape,  keeping with the same width {I go by 4 mm...but 5 mm id good too}.  cut out the tracings { do both sides,  or flip the tracing over to do the other side}  transfer the tracing on a sheet of 1/8 basswood or suitable sheet wood.  cut them out and shape to taste :)   if needed,  notch where they meet the bow and stern stem,  so they will mate up snugly.

wood can be difficult to bend,  especially if the grain is running against the bend.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

4 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

wood can be difficult to bend,  especially if the grain is running against the bend

flip the wood

Jolene, it doesn't need to be an exact copy of the curvature. Preshaping is to lessen the tension on the wood when bent. Glueing it to the hull bit by bit is one option, you can glue the entire caprail if you have enough clamps to fixate it to the hull, which is, actually, not much different than doing it piecemeal.

Keep it up

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Some times you have to overbend the wood so that when it unbends a bit it fits.  The only way though is trial and error.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello all

Thank you Popeye, Carl and Mark.

I have one part of the cap rail on one side, just 3 more to do then the other side 😃.

Jolene (Jo).

Current Build:

Hello all.

Due to popular demand by millions of you, well one anyway 🤣, this is a photo update (not a lot sorry).

I have glued the first  2mm x 2mm strip of wood on one side that forms the cap rail; I have another 2mm x 2mm strip of wood that goes on the inside (that I have started), then 2x  2mm x 1mm strips that go on the outside.

1768671259_ILLEUDO44_0003.thumb.jpg.1f07f8ac960176761172b41103e7eddc.jpg285416491_ILLEUDO44_0004.thumb.jpg.67212cc7489207648aaf8216d12dd692.jpg1250669465_ILLEUDO44_0005.thumb.jpg.88af298cf7d8b92efdbd5b8f0a062741.jpg561331469_ILLEUDO44_0008.thumb.jpg.c0acff4208f2dbfb2b637671b9c128ad.jpg

Jo (Jolene).

Current Build:

looks good ! nuth'in wrong with that  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree with Denis.  Hard to believe this is your first model ship.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark,

I strongly doubt it's her first build when you look at what is built! We just have to take the lady's word for it.

Very well done, Jolene. The cap rail does look very good, especially with the curvatures being quite sharp. A little remark on the side: If you glue, it is better, but more specifically the bond will be stronger, if you glue on bare material (not painted). You could scrape of the paint for the other caprail, so your glue will be on the wood, instead of the paint.

Keep it up, she is a very fine looking vessel

Carl

Hello all

Mr Clog wearer and your comment "I don't think it is her first build"  I have news for you, it is my first wooden ship build, BUT as I have said in my "about me" part I have built plastic aeroplane's and the odd car, but that was when I was a young child.

When I first started this build and log I was advised to look at other builds and read the tutorials on this forum, this I have done and applied what I have learnt into practice.

I have made mistakes some you see and lot's you don't see.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello shipmates

I have now glued the second 2mm x 2mm strip of wood on the inside.

Next is the 2x  1mm x 2mm strips that go on the outside of the cap rail, they are soaking in water, they should be easier to bend as they are only 1mm thick, then it's onto the other side.

Happy days.

1070285357_ILLEUDO46_0002.thumb.jpg.992d4119ce83bab4f4bd2734bb2aa460.jpg417172684_ILLEUDO46_0003.thumb.jpg.208b5f978a0fe3c0544a7d353538651f.jpg

Jo.

Current Build:

49 minutes ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Thank you but I assure you I have made lot's of mistakes that I can see

Ah, she is a true believer! "We are our own worst critics (and judges)" Nevertheless what you have done thus far turned out pritty darn good

Carl

you learn your lessons well......everything you learn here will enhance your next one :)   your doing a spot on job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Shipmates

Sorry this is not an update on my IL Leudo build but an APOLOGY.

On post number #475 Cog (Carl) said "I don't think this is her first build" I did reply to his comment post number #476 and also sent him a PM.

I have to say to you all that follow or read my log that I took Cog's (Carl) comments the wrong way and I am deeply sorry for what I said.

So Cog (Carl) will you please accept my apologies for any hurt or embarrassment I may have caused you.

Jolene.

Current Build: