IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hello Peter

Thank you my friend you are too kind.

The happiness makes up for the sorrows Peter.

Ha-ha sorry my friend I don't drink alcohol so it will have to be a glass of water or cup of tea and just say to myself good job done but will have to do better next time if I do another.

Wow Peter your ship is looking fantastic, I love it when you show me what you have done on her.

I will have a good Sunday and you have a good weekend.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Hello Shipmates

Drilled the holes for the brass eye things then glued in place, next bent the brass rods and placed them in the eyes.

I have only semi shaped the brass will do them again tomorrow.

The rings have a padlock that goes through them.

2007712938_ILLEUDO64_0006.thumb.jpg.722f01f264cae3e9165e247dc1e0b0f3.jpg432387895_ILLEUDO64_0007.thumb.jpg.a836efc5fbbd6c15d0b03f961afb2284.jpg1151389938_ILLEUDO64_0009.thumb.jpg.f43850a7886c010cd937b34b43c7eb36.jpg

Jo.

Current Build:

Helllllooooooooo Peter

Thank you.

I have changed the shape of the rods (lashings) a wee bit, the round bits sort of line up with each other now.

Went to the paint shop today and purchased some clear lacquer and gave them a coat, but typical silly Jo put her fingers on them and I have now got some dull spots, but one thing came out of it, I have one nice shiny hand now 💅 .

Peter the padlock is about 3mm x 3mm.

I think I will cut the masts up and make the stand for her.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello all

I have been looking at the brass rods and thought they don't look right.

So I have made a wee bit of an adjustment, the rings on the brass rods are flat against each other, so when you put the padlock on the padlock will look funny.

So your are all asking (not) what did super cat do (well not so super ha-ha) I bent the ring part round 90 degrees, now the padlock will look Ok, I still have to paint the padlock.

Thank you all for your support and likes.

1423918723_ILLEUDO65_0006.thumb.jpg.5a2cba8427201572fceb2eac80c8b82c.jpg1176744051_ILLEUDO65_0007.thumb.jpg.e3dd18ce40f24edaefbdb272705de0d4.jpg1127836905_ILLEUDO65_0010.thumb.jpg.9d9a3d484431d08fcfb5dd8099f935b7.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

Well done, my dear!!!

Happy days to you too!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Dear Jo,

very clever solution found for the padlock!

Looks great and not to worry, you can always change something for the better as we all do with out building.

You did a great job my dear and can be proud of what came out of your hands.

Have a great day there down under,

Peter xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hellloooo all

Thank you Ulises, Peter and Shane.

I have to admit that the rings on the brass rods do look better when turned around 90 degrees, the padlock looks right now the rings have been bent round and facing the other way.

Peter have your materials arrived yet for your ship.

If I have time today Kitty will try and cut all the masts ready for sanding.

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

On 10/31/2019 at 9:56 AM, Wallace said:

I love the wee padlock

Hello Wallace

Thank you for your comments.

I have painted the padlocks, main part gold and the part that the key goes in I have painted black.

I have bent some leftover brass rod and placed the padlock inside the rings just to show you all what it will look like on the IL Leudo.

1711525536_ILLEUDO66_0022.thumb.jpg.915a30d87135d423944463886fb984ce.jpg282044221_ILLEUDO66_0024.thumb.jpg.3a817a9bb7799d4b0586ebb7864f59d0.jpg1985806141_ILLEUDO66_0027.jpg.fc10d7f2d3b512e7107ddc7eeab89a2f.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello Wallace

Thank you.

No I am not Scottish I was born in Melbourne Australia, my dad used to say wee all the time, I think that is why I say it.

My paternal grandmother was Scottish.

Jo.

Current Build:

Well, all them that did came into Australia somewhere there roots are going back to UK or Ireland or another country in Europe. 

Trus you keep having those words that are not mentioned in any dictionary saying them and if the other person you'r talking to comes from somewhere else yeah they will look funny at you thinking (maybe) what the hell is he/she talking about!

This way we all learn from each other as if going to the USA where as they suppose to speak English forget it as most words are "translated" to Yank language!

Believe me as the first time I came to the UK as a teenager (learned at school the "Step by step again") and saw a guy/man in London I shake his hand and polite saying:"How do you do?" The only thing he was doing looking at me from top till bottom and out of his mouth came: What the f..ck you want?

That was my first encounter with the english language. I learned quick as later on worked with multi culture people you start up at the end speaking 9 language! 

Must say still learning as "dialect" is another challenge! 

Jo you did (and doing) a great job to your built and NO my material did not arrive yet but still slowly working on it to make the foremast having later a navigation light in it.

Also thinking about the fact I want towing pins but afraid not having enough space under decks to have this installed. Thinking to raise the aft deck in a fashion NOT to block any towing wire afterwards but will put it first on paper, wait until the part is here (take 6 weeks to make it) so yes still working on it.

Waiting for you to show the finished little lady.

Peter xxxxxxxxxx

Hello Peter

My family are a bit of a mixed bag ha-ha, Mother was born just outside London, Father was born in Melbourne, Grandmother was born in Scotland but not sure about Grandfather.

When mother got mad or forgot people was in the same room she reverted back to talking in a cockney dialect, when she turned round and seen my face as if I was saying what the hell are you talking about mother, she would then go back and start talking normal again, it was so funny.

When I was at school we had this new girl start and she came from Liverpool, we could not understand a word she said, but she was great fun to be with.

You speak nine languages wow.

I am sorry you have not received your materials for your ship build.

As for my IL Leudo build I am not sure when it will be finished, as I have this week a wee bit of a problem to sort out first.

Depending how I get on I will try and do an hour a night or I will not go to my dancing class on Thursday night, but we will see.

Peter I have sent you a PM.

Jo.

Edited by SHIPSCAT

Current Build:

Hello all.

I am sanding the masts and the other dowels down, but I need some advice PLEASE.

I know I have finished the block things in gloss varnish but I was just wondering what I should finish the masts with, gloss varnish or Oil like I have done with the deck.

Thanks

Jo.

Current Build:

3 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Hello all.

I am sanding the masts and the other dowels down, but I need some advice PLEASE.

I know I have finished the block things in gloss varnish but I was just wondering what I should finish the masts with, gloss varnish or Oil like I have done with the deck.

Thanks

Jo.

Well, some would say it's a matter of taste, I suppose. If it looks good to you, do what you will. That said, you're building a model of a working boat, not a yacht. If working crew had to keep all that brass polished and maintain all that varnish, they'd mutiny for sure, if they hadn't all gone overboard first, slipping on that varnished deck which, when wet, would be as slippery as an ice skating rink! That's not a criticism at all, though. You seem to be working in a recognized style that looks quite nice to many. I love the look of polished brass myself, but, of course, on a real vessel, those hatch straps would never be made of brass (little is on a real boat, since brass corrodes quickly in the salt air,) but rather of iron, for strength, painted to prevent corrosion. (And unless the brass on your model is sealed with lacquer, it's going to tarnish over time. It won't stay shiny bright for long unless it's coated.) 

As far as gloss goes, one should consider scale. If you go to a real yacht with lots of varnish and view it from a distance comparable to the "scale distance" from which your model will be viewed, you'll note that the varnish ("brightwork") won't be glaringly bright, but actually rather muted when viewed from a distance. For this reason, modelers generally do not use gloss varnish or paint on their models. The shine from a gloss finish ruins the impression of reality. A glossy model looks like a model, which isn't a bad thing at all, but if you are about creating the impression of reality in miniature, you wouldn't want to use gloss finishes at all. (I think you instinctively realized this when you re-did your barrels after first finishing them with gloss varnish. They look much more realistic with a flat finish.) I'd urge you to use a flat finish on the mast. On real workboats, spars are very rarely finished "bright" with varnish or other clear coats, but rather painted, because paint lasts better in the sunlight and requires much less maintenance than clear finishes. 

Gloss finishes also require very exacting surface preparation to look good. Grain and other imperfections are exaggerated by the reflections from a glossy surface. At modeling scales, it's very difficult to get perfectly smooth surfaces. Another problem with gloss finishes is that they tend to build up. To get a good gloss, several thick coats are often required and those thick coats mask the fine detail of the miniature parts.. On good way to smooth semi-gloss painted and varnished surfaces is to hand-rub them with rottenstone and/or pumice. Just take a damp cloth and dip it into a bit of these abrasives (inexpensively available at any paint store) and rub. That will "knock down" the gloss and leave the pieces looking very smooth. 

Here's a really good video that explains the concept of creating an impression of reality in your scale modeling: 

Edited by Bob Cleek

Hello Bob

Thank you for your comments very much appreciated.

I would like to reply on one or two things though, but first this is my first wooden ship build and I have no intention of building an exact replica of the real IL Leudo as that is way past my skills.

You stated that my deck is gloss varnish sorry Bob but it has Danish Oil on it also on the hatch lids, also the brass straps have been polished and a coat of lacquer on them.

I have looked a two videos on the IL Leodo, if you look at the video clips below you can see that the top part of the hull is done in gloss varnish and just below that is gloss white paint, also gloss varnished on the mast, spars, hand rail, cabin and also the block things look like gloss varnish has been applied to them.

I would love to see some of your builds but alas I cannot find any, can you point me to one of your logs please.

722276770_ILLEUDOPAINTANDVARNISH.1.JPG.81682c0e8e937180dfa536d7607c679f.JPG2076868741_ILLEUDOPAINTANDVARNISH.2.JPG.3dc7f920341e7d4534ca5809238d8109.JPG1021946665_ILLEUDOPAINTANDVARNISH.3.JPG.5f70cdc8329c1780b28ba0a18f8702a1.JPG730658376_ILLEUDOPAINTANDVARNISH.4.JPG.498b95b3884ee5f9b6680ecf87c1a077.JPG1616595268_ILLEUDOPAINTANDVARNISH.JPG.44ebc123146b6aa250cce5e336db0f02.JPG

Thanks for looking in on my log.

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

there are many different views on the use of gloss......certain types of subjects {pertains to all mediums of modeling} work well with it,  and some don't.  pleasure crafts in particular do well with it due to the loving care given,  but work boats,  naval ships,  and older sailing ships do not.  for these subjects,  the gloss would blind the depth that detail creates, and would not properly portray age or use.  a shiny naval ship can be readily picked out in a crowd,  and a weather worn work boat has perhaps years of abuse.  I do almost all of my work boats in flats and semi glosses,  but I do little of the weathering that a lot of folks do.  I do it.......and it looks OK........but then I see it the next day,  and I end up cleaning it up :(   I am resigned to being a clean freak..........I still try to break out of the mold though :D   of course,  it's not to say that a work boat has to be a scow either.......you can doll 'er up a little ;) 

good to see your still determined.........your efforts really show in this model :)    she looks terrific!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye

Thank you for your comments.

Bob was mainly talking about distance and weathering, but he made a comment about the deck, it was plain to me that he never read what I wrote, I said I finished the deck in DANISH OIL but he said I finished it in gloss varnish and it would be like a skating rink (ring), yes I know that the hatch lid straps should be an iron colour but I think the polished brass looks nice 👍.

I know you cannot see it in the video clips but in the video you can see the water reflecting on the white gloss paint and gloss varnish, if the Associazione Amici Del Leudo (Amici Del Leudo Association) painted and varnished her that way then that is Ok with me as they should know.

Anyway as everyone keeps saying it is my Ship.

Yippppppppeeeeeeeeeeee I have ordered my new ship kit it is about 500mm long x 700mm high x 110mm wide, should receive it on Monday or Tuesday.

Giorni felici

Jo.

Current Build:

Hi Jo,

Great pics. I like reference photos, it makes your model seem alive and much bigger.

I could tell you took offence to Bob's comments, I am sure he had good intentions.

You can relax your arched back and stop wishing you had your claws back, wink wink.

The Tom videos are very informative, maybe long and dry but the rigging ones are very good.

Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
puntuation

...and I should have added that little 'zinger' in my comment.  just being suggestive.......that's all.   glad to hear that you've chosen another project......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

11 hours ago, cog said:

quite so!

Hello Carl

Thank you.

Remember the two things we was talking about, well I do hope your dreams came true and you have settled in now and enjoying life again.

Jo.

Current Build:

8 hours ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

You can relax your arched back and stop wishing you had your claws back, wink wink.

Hello Shane very good but I have been to the vets my claws are nice and sharp again 😼.

No I am not mad at Bob when I wrote that I had a lot on my mind, I was trying to sort a problem out work wise, so I am sorry it came across like that , but I would love to see some of his builds but I cannot find any of his logs ?.

Jo.

Current Build:

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

another project......

Hello Popeye

Thank you, it is a Billings fishing boat and it has sails so they will be fun to make 🏴‍☠️.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello shipmates

I made these but don't know what they are called, the large one goes at the top of the mast, the smaller one goes at the end of the bowsprit.

I made them with a needle file and sanding sticks and drilled the holes in the bottom with my Dremel drill.

1846325398_ILLEUDO67_0003.thumb.jpg.b71e1e37af27a98c6ab0551f22d55b5e.jpg1351832592_ILLEUDO67_0006.thumb.jpg.ce6497586116c006abf87dae67a09693.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

No idea for the name but can see you did a proper job! Respect my lady and I mean it!

I cannot tell you the names for them as actually never sailed on a SAIL boat and those matters never interested me to know this name.

Could be that somebody here will tell you, sorry about that.

Peter xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Peter

Thank you my friend but I have to admit I had to do them twice, the first two I sanded the taper down too much, still not happy with the small one.

The large one is 20mm x 7mm, the small one is 10mm x 6mm.

Today I will glue some 8mm x 3mm dowel in the holes then drill some 3mm holes in the block things, then glue the tops into the blocks, shape the blocks then glue the large one on the mast and the small one on the bowsprit.

Thank you all for your comments and likes.

Jo.

Current Build:

Alright Jo!

You're partly to blame, you are doing such a good job on your wooden kit, I had to start a wooden ship myself!  Or at least part of one.  You will have to check it out.  HMS Blandford cross-section POF by SigEp Ziggy, 1/48 scale, in the 'from scratch or plans' section.

Shane

Pertty soon you will be into the rigging.   somebody on this site posted this link........ it's nice....... you can freeze each frame to see exactly how to go over & under with your line, to make the knot.😉   https://www.animatedknots.com/complete-knot-list