IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hi All

I have had a bit of a change; I decided to have a wee go at the barrels, so I have put a coat of sanding sealer on them.

I then thought that the hoops should be painted black, so I got some 2mm tape and had a go at taping round the hoops so I could paint them, I thought I was being clever till I removed the tape, the paint had gone under the tape, so I am not a happy Jo today as it took me hours to do the taping.

Now I have 7 more to paint.

Happy days.

555444299_ILLEUDO53_0004.thumb.jpg.803c97811d97e045423f2cd3f64bbdee.jpg1067954604_ILLEUDO53_0006.thumb.jpg.fb17da4d45f034dc32c0a7e9625ed36f.jpg636627150_ILLEUDO53_0007.thumb.jpg.86ab360172ba691f8929e440dfff7a6d.jpg1169565985_ILLEUDO53_0009.thumb.jpg.72c0ebe7d91477c1951bf6bf51c0f51c.jpgJo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

they are not too bad........since the wood barrel is bare wood,  simply sand around the hoops and restain.  wait a day or so to be sure the paint has cured completely  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

12 hours ago, cog said:

Try masking the wood, than paint the hoops, remove the tape and laquer the barrels without tape

Hello Carl

That is what I did as you can see in the photos.

I am going to varnish them today.

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello Popeye

Yes I have a small sanding stick that I was going to try and sand the paint that has gone under the tape.

It looks worse in the photos than it does in real life so to speak.

I am blaming myself for bad workmanship.

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello all

I tried the small sanding stick but I was taking the black paint off the hoops, I did my best.

I have given them a coat of gloss varnish and they do look a wee bit better, still not as good as I would like though.

Now I have to cut the stairs down so I can glue it inplace.

84313366_ILLEUDO54_0003.thumb.jpg.dd98e246cd5ee5f649e734d989032189.jpg682461959_ILLEUDO54_0004.thumb.jpg.e9a05870b729b5365b1648af995990a2.jpg323148239_ILLEUDO54_0006.thumb.jpg.a2dcbb4b812bdb6d436bc0e56fa7d67b.jpg1505844099_ILLEUDO54_0011.thumb.jpg.b0ed385fb4520eb9e670c1c930231045.jpg

Happy days.

Jolene.

Current Build:

Hello Jo. Outstanding job you doing here. In my very personal opinion, those barrels would look a lot better in a matte finish. They never were that shiny in real life. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Looking great Jo, your doing an excellent job there.

For sanding like that on the barrels I usually 'borrow' a cheap disposable nail file, preferable slightly used and they have a good straight edge and a bit of flex.

If I'm quick enough it isn't noticed... 😇

I'd agree with giving the barrels a coat of matte, but that's only my opinion.

Keep up the great work 😊 

Hello Ulises Victoria & Johnothanswift.

Thank you for your comments much appreciated.

Unfortunately I have no matte varnish, so I will have to purchase some tomorrow.

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo. You can use fine sandpaper to get rid of the shine. More work but maybe that is something you already have at hand.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Jo,

Your progress is looking great! Barrels dont look bad at all, as Ulyses said, some fine sand paper or a fine nylon scrubby pad. will knock that shine right down. If you go the scrubby pad route dont use the kind you clean pots and pans with, go to an autobody finish suppler. 3m makes some, I think the light grey is the finest, check first though.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hello shipmates

I have done what you all suggested and changed the gloss varnish on the barrels over to a matt varnish.

Thank you all again for your advice.

Happy days.

Jo.

1053604770_ILLEUDO55_0003.thumb.jpg.bee3eb8028512ffbac0f3fabbd5b9dde.jpg1247726448_ILLEUDO55_0006.thumb.jpg.d71c04bf2217bb3b16cd8cafa2b9b5a4.jpg

Current Build:

perfect! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello all

Thank you Steven and Popeye for them kind words.

Although I did like the gloss finish on the barrels in the end I had to take the suggestions you all made to finish them in matt varnish.

Again thank you all for your ongoing advice and the likes, you all are so kind and helpful.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello Sam

Thank you so much, I do enjoy building her but it is a big learning curve for me, but I will get there in the end.

The only thing is I am finding it hard to remembering the name of parts of the ship, just goes to show you how dumb I am.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo,

Get a copy of Wolfram zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models.  It's well illustrated and pretty detailed.  There are some errors but mostly its a good, basic book on period ships and nomenclature.   Used copies are usually pretty inexpensive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jo, you're not dumb at all. Heck, I just figured out the difference between a yard and a yard arm!! The Yard is the whole thing, the Yard Arm is the part that extends past the cleats! (I think...)!! All along I thought they were the same. Its a learning curve and you learn by doing and asking questions.

You are doing fine, relax and enjoy the ride.

Sam

Edited by src

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

There's a big difference between being dumb and not having the knowledge or terminology.  So smile...  you're not dumb. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

We are all ignorant of almost everything there is to know - we were born that way. To me "stupid" is the inability to learn, and "dumb" is the refusal to learn. Your are learning so you are neither.

I have been building ship models for decades, and I was in the Navy. Even so, I still have problems with a lot of the older terminology - but I am learning!

Jo,

I have been watching your build for some time now.  I have given you some ‘likes’ along the way, but I think it is time to make a comment.  I think you are a true asset to this forum. You are a very playful kitty cat and we both share a common sense of humor that leans to the dark side.

I think that some of the guys have praised your work, expecting to say good job when in fact it is not, however, I do not think you truly realize how good your work is. It is fantastic! You should be very proud of yourself.

Most modelers early works are destine to be dusty in the back corner of the display case. I think this build will be center stage for some time to come.

Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
add bold to 'however'

Hellooooooooo SigEp Ziggy

Thank you kind Sir for the wonderful comment above.

I have to admit that when I read the part that said "expecting to say good job when it is not" I felt like clawing your eyes out then I realized I could not as the VET has sanded all my claws down (just joking) ha-ha 😻.

I am doing my best with my little build, but I have to say it is a lot fun with or without my claws ha-ha.

It is too early to be proud of anything yet, we will see when it is finished.

I do know that it will never be put in a corner of any room to gather dust.

Again thank you dear Sir for your kind words, you made my day.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo,

Thank you for your comment. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more.

Please see edit on earlier post.

Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy

Hello Shane

I was only joking about clawing your eyes out, as I was referring to when I first started building my little IL Leudo, I had to cut and file my finger nails down as they was getting in the way.

I will do some more work on her soon.

Take care and again thank you for them wonderful words.

Jo.

Current Build: