IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Jo:

Sense of humor is always lovely and welcome!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hello Guys and Gals

A small update 😁.

I have put a coat of sanding sealer on the hull.

I am sort of happy with my efforts with my sanding but I concentrated mainly on the upper part of the hull as this is going to be varnished, but I can still see some filler.

The lower part will be painted green, top part white with a black line under the white as this stands out about 1mm from the hull.

The wood looks nice when the sealer is wet, I hope it looks nice when I varnish it.

Again thank you all for your likes and help.

Jo.

852842271_ILLEUDO36_0004.thumb.jpg.68b4e211540c98459c1bac2f23041ae5.jpg772151051_ILLEUDO36_0018.thumb.jpg.21585091c674e5b856671925470b826d.jpg

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

1 hour ago, ESF said:

Nice graphics in the last pic

Hello Steve

Thank you, it is called Photo Commander I purchased it when I started my IL Leudo build so I could store the photos.

I still don't know half of the things it has, it is still hit and miss at the moment.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo,

51 minutes ago, SHIPSCAT said:

I still don't know half of the things it has, it is still hit and miss at the moment.

This one wasn't a miss. You clearly hit it. Your wood will most likely look more or less the same as it looks when whet so don't you fret 

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello all

A small update 😁 but no photos bet you are disappointed with that (NOT) 😜.

I have cut the top of the frames off as per instructions 3 at the front and 3 frames at the back.

I was very nervous as the hull planking was glued to them but they came off Ok.

I have filled the twisted planks that bend round the front and back parts, today I will sand the filler down and finish the planking at the bottom of the keel.

Next after that the instructions say to plank the deck, I have decided not to do this as I am going to have ago at spray painting the inside of the ship walls (don't know what you call that part) then plank up to that part as I want my deck to be finished in varnish.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:02 PM, cog said:

You clearly hit it

Hey Carl thank you but with me it is more MISS than hit.

Jo.

Current Build:

On 6/17/2019 at 5:39 PM, cog said:

gloomy

Hello Carl

Never gloomy my friend when I have you looking after me 😜.

Jo.

Edited by SHIPSCAT

Current Build:

there are some kits {ships} that you'll need to cut the bulwark posts off after planking.  I read ahead in the instructions a bit so I get an idea of what will need to be done.  for these models,  I don't cement the planking to the posts,  rather just glue the planking together and hope that the cement doesn't get on the posts.  it makes the step a lot less stressful  ;) 

you must be referring to painting the inner bulwarks........sure  ;)    do that and then plank the deck.......does the deck platform have a printed deck pattern?  if so,  varnishing over it would look nice,  but some sealers will loosen the printed ink.  planking over a printed platform merely gives the deck more detail.......it does look better {so far,  we haven't seen much of the deck area}.  it's good to map out where the structures are to go and plank around them,  giving them a 'well' to sit in when cemented in place.  this will hide those pesky gaps that sometimes occur when mating the structure to the deck surface.

I like that color green!   I have a can of it too :)   you clearly have a good idea of where your going with paint......and that a good thing.  coming up with a paint scheme for the project ahead of time is always a good thing.......you can't go wrong.   where you might still see the filler can be ignored and painted over........after a good proper smoothing,  of course  ;) 

your doing a super job so far Jo........kindle the humor........it's your best defense ;)    it's good to be able to laugh at mistakes.......bad temper doesn't get you anywhere.   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

16 hours ago, Richmond said:

Bentley Blower

Hello Richmond

Thank you for your kind words.

Re blower, I found it when I was looking for a file that the boss wanted me to look at, it was a Christmas box for me some years back but boss being boss forgot to give it to me☹️.

I have built plastic kits before but that was when I was a lot younger than I am today 😌.

I have not started it yet as I have no tools or thin glue, but will have ago soon.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello Popeye

Thank you also.

So that is what they call the side bits Bulwarks thank you.

I did read about the top of the bulwark frames had to be cut off but only 3 at the front and 3 at the back, I only had glued 2 planks on them so the other 2 I just glued the edge of the planks.

No the deck is not printed, as the kit says paint the deck they supply that white wood but I did not wish to paint the deck so I have changed the wood over to walnut, but it is not as dark as the walnut supplied in the kit so that is good for me as I do like the colour.

The green I was going to change it to blue but changed my mind, so green it will be, I just hope that the top of the can is the same as the paint inside the can.

Jo.

Current Build:

Helllllooooooooooo Shipmates

Just a small update, I finished the planking of the keel and filled the gaps (again), sanded down (poor fingers are bleeding again) not sure what is harder sanding wood or cleaning the house, well that was a silly comment from me you don't get bleeding fingers from cleaning the house do you 🧹.

I then sanded the hull part that is going to be varnished with some very fine paper (courtesy of the nice man next door) I then gave it a coat of polyurethane gloss varnish.

I don't know how far the green paint comes up the hull so I varnished down more than I should, but will sand it down when I do paint it.

Will varnish the hull twice more.

478370749_ILLEUDO37_0002.thumb.jpg.cea46faad79431503b3c7f6d956d9382.jpg1705690409_ILLEUDO37_0003.thumb.jpg.0212eda364166f635e3cbaafc386fea1.jpg1528612224_ILLEUDO37_0004.thumb.jpg.afd91c9c9c3caf0b638563d052496f97.jpg

IL LEUDO 37_0005.jpg

Jo 🏡

Edited by SHIPSCAT

Current Build:

2 minutes ago, SHIPSCAT said:

well that was a silly comment form me you don't get bleeding fingers from cleaning the house do you

Well you should know (he said as a typical male chauvinistic pig) ;)

You do not need to sand the varnish down, just a light rub will do to cover the part  with green

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I don't get bleeding fingers, I wear rubber gloves.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I buy them by the box at home improvement stores or the local big chain stores.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello all.

Yippppeeeeeeeeee some paint on my little ship :D☹️.

After sanding the wood down (not very good job on that) I gave it a spray of white primer on the bottom of the hull and the top + inside of the wall thing, this disappeared into the wood (nasty words came out of my mouth 👅) I then sprayed another coat on more nasty words, the walls on the inside that had filler on it the paint would not cover it + gaps in the planks, so re filled this area, big mistake using dark wood filler, so after 3 more coats I gave up and went and had a shower then it was bed time (was hoping in the morning the inside walls will be Ok) no still the same 🥵 more nasty words.

So I turned the hull upside down and sprayed the green on the bottom of the hull (two coats), at this stage I was getting very very mad (more nasty words) I forgot to mask the white up, now I have green spray over the white very very very ANGRY Jo.

Today a very sad day, I have taken the tape off, more nasty words, then more nasty words, the tape has pulled some varnish off (the air was BLUE now with my bad language).

So what I will do now I will sand it all down re paint the green with the spray can, then hand paint the white put the black lines on, after that I will let the paint dry for a week then give it a coat of varnish all over the hull.

1234827105_ILLEUDO38_0016.thumb.jpg.a24d9fd2f53cdb6263a2d3c0e8bc7805.jpg28540133_ILLEUDO38_0017.thumb.jpg.f211f525e02ef6e62b454f50bfec4f23.jpg

Jo .

Current Build:

I've explained to my wife on several occasions that obscenity is a part of the creative process and that cursing like a sailor while building a model boat is thematically appropriate.

That I have had to explain this on several occasions indicates to me that one of us doesn't seem to understand the core issue.

Under Construction

HMAV  Bounty, Artesania Latina, 1/48 Scale

Completed

18th Century Long Boat, Model Shipways, 1/48 Scale

Drift boat, scratch build, c. 1/12 Scale

Bluenose, Model Shipways, 1/64 Scale

2 hours ago, Tector said:

cursing like a sailor

Hello Tector

It is not like me to curse like that but I am learning FAST.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

But it was how I felt at the time of typing, but I am Ok now (I think).

Jo.

Current Build:

44 minutes ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Hello Tector

It is not like me to curse like that but I am learning FAST.

But it was how I felt at the time of typing, but I am Ok now (I think).

Jo.

You're not going to offend me. I promise you, I've heard far, far worse.

On the topic of masking, I have had good luck using a low-tac tape (specifically, I use the Tamiya brand stuff, but this is far from the only answer) and have minimised bleeding along the edge by carefully burnishing the tape with something smooth and solid like a piece of polished metal or bone to ensure good adhesion.

Edited by Tector

Under Construction

HMAV  Bounty, Artesania Latina, 1/48 Scale

Completed

18th Century Long Boat, Model Shipways, 1/48 Scale

Drift boat, scratch build, c. 1/12 Scale

Bluenose, Model Shipways, 1/64 Scale

Hello dear!

Oh boy... you did learn a lot in a single building session ;)

Sending you a big hug!!!

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

2 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

After spending 4 years in the USMC way back a beginning time (feels like it anyway) I daresay I've seen the air get far bluer than what most of population can spit out.    Cursing does seem to go with model ship building doesn't it?  Sometimes bouncing various bits off the wall and storming out of the workshop helps.

I would suggest that after spraying on a light first coat, let it dry completely per the instructions.  Then do additional light coats as needed. There's a learning curve to spray painting and I admit, I'm not very good at it so I don't paint.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

All part of the fun of modelling. ⚠️

A couple of questions.

What paint are you using ?

What masking tape are you using ?

For masking, I suggest using specific modelling tape, I use Tamiya personally but this video covers a range of different types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPRIsrfukdU

The reason for this is domestic masking tape will frequently give the effect you experienced, the adhesive is too strong and pulls off the paint/varnish underneath.

I've found the 18mm Tamiya tape, half on the model, the other half on newspaper to cover the rest of the model works well for me.

Just remember, you learn far more from mistakes and errors. It's all a part of improving. And I think we've all experienced a wide range of 'issues' in our modelling. You'll sort it out.

This may help non australians imagine the language in your house. 

h605EC019

Edit: I'd also suggest using brushes rather than sprays. I've found the paint adheres better, you have more control over coverage, (a number of thin coats again).

There's also the point that that's how the originals were painted so bonus points for originality.

Edited by johnothanswift