IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Looking good from here.  A bit of cleanup with a round file or wrap a piece of fine sandpaper around a dowel of appropriate size and Bob's your uncle.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What Mark said, you can expand a hole just by twisting a round file in said hole, and you can make it move one direction or another by pressing more on one side. You should be able to fix any minor spacing issues just by expanding the holes slightly and controlling the direction in which they expand.

20 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

did you use an awl to make a starter hole

Hello Vossiewulf

No I did not I just used the 4mm drill, is that why they are all over the place.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

16 hours ago, mtaylor said:

round file

Hello Mark and Vossiewolf.

Yes I used a file to clean them up and enlarge them a bit, as the bottom of the holes should be at the top of the walnut strip.

My next job is to put a 2x3mm walnut strip on top of the 2x2mm strip of walnut so this one will cover the holes by 1mm, will do this when I have finished my work for the boss.

Thank you for your advice and help not forgetting the likes.

Jo.

Current Build:

36 minutes ago, cog said:

UNless you used a wood drill ... yes

What he said. For regular taper point drills, they will "skate" all over the surface before biting into the material. Accurate hole-drilling in wood by hand definitely requires a starter mark to prevent the drill from skating.

What he means about wood drills is that there are drills specialized for wood, they are called Brad Point drills. They skate much less. However, I still always use an awl to mark a spot even when using Brad points.

ts_bra_poi_dri_bit.jpg

Hello GIRLS and Boys 😀.

I have planked some of the top part of the hull.

As per normal the last two have twisted at the ends.

I have one more plank to go on then do the other side.

The holes they tell you to drill, I am not sure if they are going to work or not as when you plank the deck the planks will just about cover them up ??.

Yes I know it is a bit messy it is due to the glue hiding  under the clamps :rolleyes: but I will sand them down later, they should be Ok.

Jo.

162889400_ILLEUDO30_0002.thumb.jpg.03b7259ca0e0ae000edf3b231a6b4e54.jpg1184883830_ILLEUDO30_0005.thumb.jpg.ab828c148dd0a6e70f8c2c69fca97b5a.jpg572135094_ILLEUDO30_0007.thumb.jpg.8b45b48bd6c77fda34fbcae90ed9419a.jpg

Current Build:

The fit is quite reasonable for a first-time planker, and it looks like you're getting better as you go along with the fit into the stem. That's tricky as you have to set two different angles on the end of the plank and fit it while bending it, at least to some extent. But nothing worth having ever came easy.

I believe those holes are the waterways to drain water from the deck.  So the bottom of them should be at the top of the deck or even a tad* below it. I'm guessing from the pics though I can't see enough detail to be sure, that these "holes" will need to go through the second layer of planking?

Note:  tad is a tech term meaning a wee-bit... I'm not sure of the Aussie word to use.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What is this?!?!?! I go away for a few days and come back to a GIRL planking like a Pro! 😀 Well done Jo, I had a big smile when I saw how far you progressed in a short time.

If you are going to stain, you will want to make sure you get all the glue cleaned off your planks, ideally with a damp cloth before it dries. Sanding it off later can lead to interestingly unanticipated results.

And what pray tell my tea drinking friend, caused you to stagger down the walkway of your neighbor?? You havent been sneaking a thimble full of wine behind our backs have you?

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

6 hours ago, src said:

If you are going to stain, you will want to make sure you get all the glue cleaned off your planks, ideally with a damp cloth before it dries.

You are a wee bit late my drunken sailor friend, with your excellet advice.

Kitty Cat, you should get "source" (src) to regularly visit your build log and timely advise you

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

7 hours ago, src said:

caused you to stagger down the walkway of your neighbor?? You havent been sneaking a thimble full of wine behind our backs have you?

Hello Sam

Ha ha I was not drinking the hard stuff when he gave me the drill, have you weighed them things they are heavy well for me they are, I am just a skinny thing.

Planking like a pro hahahaha, well you must be joking or is it you just had a hard night on the bottle :champagne-popping-smiley-emoticagain.

I did wash the glue off with water but when I took the clips off the glue had gone round them, will sand them down.

Doing the other side today well starting it anyway.

Jo.

Current Build:

1 hour ago, cog said:

Kitty Cat, you should get "source" (src) to regularly visit your build log and timely advise you

Hello Carl

I'll give you kitty cat hahahahahahaahhhhhaaaaaahha.

Sam has had two weeks at AA (alcoholics anonymous) if you know what I mean 😉 hence his comment "planking like a pro" you do have to feel sorry for him don't you haha.

Jo.

Current Build:

I always feel sorry for Sam, but that's because he tends to create a new redo on his build, about every other post he does ...  now it is NSAA (Not So Anonymous Alcoholics) for Sam, which, by the way, goes for me too ... I could say I'm a NKA (notoriously known alcoholic) ROFLMAO - as my good friend Jack would say

Have fun planking!

Cheers skinny thing

Carl

Wo! WO! WO!! Wait a minute!!! I didnt drink THAT much on our cruise. We did pre-pay for the drinks before we left so had to make sure it was worth it.

Jo,

I must have missed it when you mentioned you cleaned all the glue up. Carl has me so afraid of showing a mistake that I have to re-do everything before I take a picture. And besides, the more redos the lower the cost of build per hour.

What color do you plan on staining? at one point you mentioned something about green paint and stain below??

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

3 hours ago, cog said:

notoriously known alcoholic

Carl I worry about you like your mother would, I know you and Sam are mates but don't get into his nasty habits he is trying to give it up you know.

What is ROFLMAO ????.

TTFN

Jo.

Current Build:

25 minutes ago, src said:

We did pre-pay for the drinks before we left

Sam well you don't expect me to believe that do you, you and I know you went over your prepay limit 😉😉.

I was going to paint the bottom green and varnish above, but it all depends on how the sanding comes out.

Jo.

Current Build:

Wait a minute... isn't the sun way past over the yardarm?  I need to make sure I'm doing this right.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello all

The top planks have been completed on both sides, started sanding down but still have some dark spots to try and sand out.

I will try and be careful not to sand through the planks.

I have one or two gaps, well make that about 30 haha, I think I may leave them as it will look like an old ship, anyway it is only the top part of the hull.

Should I fill the gaps or not, will do what you all say.

If it doesn't look any good I will have to paint it.

Next up is the planking of the lower part of the hull, that I am not looking forward  to doing.

Jo.

307937272_ILLEUDO31_0004.thumb.jpg.50a8e841e2482324dd892a7a75ac57b0.jpg133975479_ILLEUDO31_0005.thumb.jpg.b195b398bd67029be12fcf0e9e5f0019.jpg1704561608_ILLEUDO31_0007.thumb.jpg.5d0c067fc121cfbc1f29539a58bb505d.jpg1483836191_ILLEUDO31_0008.thumb.jpg.8176dd737b4b7a4a0e7d46868615acbd.jpg1611038949_ILLEUDO31_0009.thumb.jpg.3424f8d2afa1c05a412b5dcc58bd17b0.jpg

Current Build:

Looking good Jo.

Just remember one thing: Paint paints. Paint is not intended to hide mistakes. On the contrary, most of the time paint "enhances" mistakes.

So be careful about your decision.

You are doing a great job so far my dear. Keep on it. The first model is (most of the times) the one that will bring you the more learning experiences.

Best regards

Ulises

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Actually, as the hull of a working boat it looks the part, you could do without planking it. I remember Yves writing so. You merely need to get the beat up colour on it. Well done on those planks

Carl

Hello all

After a lot of thinking I decided to plank the lower part of the hull the way the man did it in the video has done it.

So yesterday after plucking up the courage to start the planking (yes 4 hours of putting it off haha) I did the first plank.

I put the plank on the hull and moved it up or down so the end of the plank would end up at the bow and stern below the walnut strip.

I have to say it was hard trying to hold the plank with one hand and draw a line and hold the other end of the plank with the other.

The line was my guide line for when I glued the plank on, sorry was out about 3mm at the bow end.

Jo.

1329330177_ILLEUDO32_0003.thumb.jpg.ecea4e68127679f7ff3d4b2ba0362fd8.jpg2134093806_ILLEUDO32_0005.thumb.jpg.2313498e8cfce2daeddc003fe924ff63.jpg

Current Build:

for gaps,  I merely put glue into the gap and then stuff it with sawdust........sand to taste.   the color isn't too bad really......after all,  it is a working boat.

it looks good Jo.........keep at it! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch