HMS Agamemnon by Henke - Caldercraft - 1:64

• 4 weeks later...

Dear friends,

It has been a while since last update. Have been off for some commissioning work in eastern Europe for a couple of weeks. Copper sheathing on starboard side is almost finished. Intuitively I made two gore lines aft and two at the bow. I think the result turned out quite well. It is at least good enough for me. I leave the gore lines as they are for the moment. I will try to replicate on port side before I fill them in.

y4mK3E9cg5f3CxswaB5Y4UXYbs-xJoVgQfJL5nG7

y4mA64ogfT6EBmZFf33QW7jzVSuDT21JQEZDlRs5

y4m9aJIWNKR7RaX5BEjrQLQjzQn2rauD51bnBGQJ

Regards Henrik

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started" - Mark Twain

Henke, that is very beautiful coppering work you have done.
Doesn't it feel good to be back at the yard? 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 2:01 AM, Kusawa2000 said:

Henrik: I dont know if you are a sucker for punishment like me but with my Agamemnon I got rid of the lower dummy guns and scratch built carriages and bought full length guns for the lower deck. I like how it gives some depth to the lower deck guns and looks more "real". If you are interested I would be more than happy to explain to you how I did it and post some pics on your forum. Let me know and I can give you a description. Also.. there are a few things on the Agamemnon that the kit has as inaccurate and I can give you a heads up on.. You have taken on a beautiful ship and will be pleased as she comes together.. Im so far logged 2000hrs and Im just working on teh standing rigging.. and Im planning to rig her with full sails!

Have a good one

Mike Draper

Hi Mike,

I am getting ready to start my build of the Agamemnon in a few weeks and I would be interested in what modifications that you did and where you got the full length guns for the lower deck. I can give you my email if that would be better then posting that info in an older forum? From what I have seen of your ship it is very impressive indeed!

Owen

On 9/26/2020 at 4:56 PM, OWEN65 said:

Hi Mike,

I am getting ready to start my build of the Agamemnon in a few weeks and I would be interested in what modifications that you did and where you got the full length guns for the lower deck. I can give you my email if that would be better then posting that info in an older forum? From what I have seen of your ship it is very impressive indeed!

Owen

Owen: there is a private message feature on the top right of the forum page.. it looks like a caption balloon like you see in comic books. Just click on it and we can message off list. I can give you a list of the modifications I did. Thanks for the thumbs up on my Aggy.. its been a long haul. Getting the to the final stretch now. Just getting to put sails on her and get the final touches. You will definitely enjoy the rest of the build. You are now getting into the fun stuff judging from your pics

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since my last post. Copper sheathing is almost finished after three months. Port side is finished and starboard is only missing some filling of gore lines. It feels fantastic!

y4mR2nLZhhfp9vSzssB5-etqqNtN6CxG2eGRM5eC

y4mXowcKS3F-V0IB-nxX8uaUMS58oHB_wFDieQTF

Regards

Henrik

Henrik, it looks fantastic. You must be verrrrrry happy!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks for likes and comments. Copper sheathing is now finished (except for the rudder...). Started painting a bit of yellow ochre. The paint is not covering very well as yellow often tends to do. I will probably have to do 4-5 layers before it is ok. The white line is Tamiya flexible masking tape which works very well.

y4mDDlekKkfwN_-tnCtGjspPpIK0baZx9MJcYG6Q

Best regards and stay safe

Henrik

• 1 month later...

Henrik, det där ser riktigt snyggt ut.

God Jul.

That looks so nice.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to all fellow model boat builders around the world,

Working on Aggy has been part of my corona safe Christmas celebration. I realized a couple of weeks ago that I had missed to open up two gun ports in the stern. I do not think it is mentioned in the instructions but I saw them on one of the drawings. My first thought was to leave them out but I finally decided to cut them out anyhow. Painted black they will not be seen but at least this post is a proof of their existence 🙂.

y4mq1SrvhTbF-VmLLTGu7c0xywWIUljbUFFCtu4q

Best regards

Henrik

Thanks Rob,

The cannon ball racks are called shot garlands in the instructions. They are made in 1.5 mm pre-cut walnut ply with tiny holes onto the shots sit. The shots also came with the kit and are in metal. It looks exactly like shot gun pellets (about 2.5 mm in diameter).

Henrik

Thanks for all comments and "likes" . On free time during Christmas I have been working on the rudder. Hinges are still to be fixed to the hull but this is how it looks like for the moment.

y4mnOH4NraCwiUVfKvGgR59sowXta9g8zzLrbJRP

From a model building point of view 2020 has been an exiting year. A year ago I had finished the first planking. During 2020 I did gun ports, second planking, some painting, coppering and some detailing of upper gun deck. How far will I come in 2021? I have said to the Grand(e) Admiral that Aggy is a five year project. In April I am two years into the build....

Happy New Year!

Henrik

Edited by Henke

Hej Henrik!

Five years seems reasonable to me. It all comes down to perseverance. In other words - keep it up, however slow your build is going. If you don't build you won't be getting anywhere 😉

The 64 gun ships are the most handsome in my eyes when it comes to these square riggers. You're doing a good job on your build I can see.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hej Henrik,

Long time ago I was so close to get a non-started Agamemnon without cost, unfortunately someone beat me to it. No big loss, I have plenty of models to take care of.

But following yours is great, love the detail work that comes along with ships like these.

Happy New Year

Gott Nytt År

Respectfully

• 2 weeks later...

Have done some work on bow cheeks and hair brackets. From looking at the picture I am reminded that I by mistake broke the tip of the bow piece early in the building process 🙄 which I glued together hoping it should be visible..... I was wrong!

y4mhkcD9Q4LngaFfgKaEXn_3sSTS2y7_T8EKx4jf

Regards

Henrik

Henrik,

What you can do is put some sawdust with glue in the wood that is open till it is smooth as the rest.

Light sanding the whole bow part and paint it black again!

Or glue on both side a small part of wood and paint it .

But do that on both sides and nobody will see it.

Only the people who follow you 😂

For the rest looks it just great!!

Sjors

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Henrik - I just noticed the nice bend in your bow cheek in the picture above. It appears to be shaped laterally. Did you shape the cheeks? If so, what is your secret? Every time I attempt to shape my walnut laths (2mm wide) laterally, the wood cracks even after prolonged immersion in water.

I also see your grates look pristine. Any tips you want to share about assembling/glueing/tailoring them? My grates are brittle and don’t stay together very well.  Thanks!

BTW, I just came across your Hood build; very nice work! 

Rob S

Edited by Rob S
Added another question.

Rob

active projects: HMS Victory, Mamoli 1/90 scale

Thanks Rob,

The bow cheeks are laser cut and comes with the kit. I am not sure what you mean with with grates but if it is the grating you mean 🙂 they are made from combing strips coming in a bag with the kit. They are made in wood with a fantastic precision. I combine the number of strips required to size and cut away the rest. I glued combing strips together with water diluted wood resin glue (to a watery consistency). The last finish is from sand paper and then a layer of satin varnish.

y4mLP2fu3mywmr2Hzf3-fl4sJS-J5Q3stmCRLAKI

Best regards

Henrik

• 1 month later...

I have done some dry fitting of gun barrels. Aggy starts looking mean. This leads into a question. As I understand by mid eighteenth century  gun barrels were made i steel instead of bronze. An untreated bronze gun barrel is dark grey with a slight greenish tone. What was the color of a steel gun barrel at the time? We modelers tend to paint black or blacken the brass but what was the color at the time? When you look at pictures of gun barrels from HMS Victory gun barrels look painted black but that I suppose it is made to protect the barrels from rust. What did Nelson use for corrosion protection? What effect did that treatment have on the appearance of the gun barrel?

y4m8v2uFum7iemnPuj79sotbeaKvZ8GvMkX1qNRa

y4midWyb1-GkkP4TohdPSAC6vwIZelyEbgmftK3r

Best regards

Henrik