USF Confederacy by ChrisLBren - 3/16 Scale - Finished

Thanks guys - just like anything with this hobby - you fixate on certain "elements" during construction - always the most recents ones.  With a little perspective/time away -  those "elements" tend to blend into the background.  The bands stay as is.  This one is FINISHED.  Per Gaetan's advice I will shoot some photos on a black background for the finished model section.  

I have two more pressing decisions - a display case and the next build....

Congratulations Chris on completing your Confederacy.  Your model looks clean and flawless.  I have enjoyed following your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hey Group,

I just ordered the La Renommee Monograph  from Ancre.  I have fallen in love with this French ship.  The extreme tumblehome, oblique inner planking, and sculptures seduced me.  I will be figuring out the case situation for Confederacy while I wait for the Monograph to arrive.  Thanks again for your likes and compliments regarding Confederacy.  

Chris

Nice choice Chris.  She's a sweet looking frigate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Chris,

I think it might be time for an updated picture of the twins.😊

i would imagine they’re starting to look like miniature human beings at this point!

best, 

john

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

5 hours ago, yancovitch said:

is this the one? and is this really the shape of the hull?............very interesting lines....never seen ones like it

That's the one and yes, that's the hull shape from the stern.  The French frigates had some beautiful lines. 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes thats the French ship with the curves.    Have a look at Patricks log here on MSW to see how beautiful this hull is - he's done an amazing job.  I can't wait to see how he handles the sculptures.  As far as the twins - yes it may be time to update their photos - they will be 5 in January !  

Art, a really wonderful work of art. Some people can model every little detail to a every high degree, but it still lacks something and remains stiff and cold. That is definitely not the case, here. I hope  you have a special place waiting for her.

Can't imagine how great the next one will be.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 3 years later...

Chris, she is, in a word, stunning! If there is a flaw, it’d not to be seen. Congratulations on a beautiful model. Maybe someday my skill and discipline can match yours but I doubt it. 

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike - no LED strips - this build is a  plank on bulkhead scratch build with the help of some of Chucks original carvings when he designed the kit for Model Expo - along with Rusty we were some of the first to build the prototype.    And thanks for the complements everyone - it was a great adventure !

I have built my workshop with enough tools/power tools to tackle the next project which has to be a fully framed model as I have enough dimensioned Pear.  I love the Winnie - but really want to stretch on a fully framed build.  Her skeleton is complete - Chuck's plans and lazer cut parts are fantastic as demonstrated by many of the build logs currently here on MSW.  I will get back to her at some point. 

My dream was always a French ship.  Currently I have the keels parts almost completed for Le Gros Ventre in 1/36. I have learned to use chisels as well as a Proxxon MF70 mill.  I also have a Unimat lathe which I have yet to use along with all of Jim Byrnes Tools.

In the wings I have the plans blown up for La Renommee at 1/36 - the carvings however are daunting which gives me pause.  And  I also own Gerards new Mono for L'Egyptienne as well in 1/48 which is an attractive subject.  They are all about the same size - big models but I have the space.   

Updates soon !