In Memorium

S.gif
S.gif S.gif

In Memorium
Mitch Michelson
July 12, 1953 to August 28, 2019

MITCH.jpg.9e85b886b1bf93267b4e68b703545c56.jpg

This week, we lost a passionate member of the ship modeling community. Mitch Michelson died on Wednesday, August 28 from a massive heart attack. He was 66 years old. His funeral was held on August 30 in his hometown of San Antonio, Texas. 

Mitch joined the Nautical Research Guild in 1989. He had been a Director since 2009 and served as Chairman of the Board in 2017. Those members who have attended the annual Conference recently will remember Mitch as our humorous emcee.

In addition to his contributions to the Guild, he was actively involved in Boy Scouts and mentored many young men to achieve Eagle Scout status. He was an avid pipe collector and served on the boards of several business organizations and his synagogue. 

He is survived by three children and three grandchildren. 

Most of all, he was my friend.

Kurt Van Dahm
Chairman of the Board
Nautical Research Guild

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

He was also a dear friend of mine.   The nicest guy you would ever want to meet.  We had many a long conversation about just about everything.....good memories from the many conferences we went to together.  Its so sad and shocking.  ......my condolences to his kids and grandchildren.   Rest in piece my friend....I still cant believe it.  Just 66 years old.

This is very sad to hear. When I came to the NRG conference a few years ago it was the very first time I had ever met anyone in person associated with ship model building. Mitch was the very first person I ever talked to and he was so pleasant and made me feel welcome. Will miss seeing him at the conference. 

Yes, Mitch was a real mensch. I, too, was shocked to read of his death especially at a relatively young age. He was a very friendly and laid-back man. It's obvious from reading the above that he will be much missed. my condolences to his family and friends.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

We had the pleasure of Mitch's presence at several Admiralty Models workshops. In his non-assuming and humorous way he always seemed to be the center of attention. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Sad news indeed. Hate to click the like button for the notice, but it does some amount of good to acknowledge a man for his contributions to his family, friends and our modeling community at large.  R.I.P. Mitch.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

I was shocked to hear of the passing of Mitch, especially at such a young age.  I always enjoyed the conversations I had with him at the NRG Conferences.  He was a true gentleman and will be missed.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I’m sorry to hear of this.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Mitch was a total Gentlemen and I am proud to have served on the Board with him.  He was also my friend.  He will be greatly missed.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I had the pleasure of riding up to Austin several times over the past year with Mitch to meet with with other NRG guys. The conversations covered the waterfront and Mitch had a story for every occasion. He was exceptionaly knowledgable in so many topics. I will miss those rides. We have lost an ambassador to our cause and love of ship modeling.

My condolences!

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)