With the demise of Crown Lumber, it appears as though there are no more sources of strip lumber for ship modelling.  I managed to purchase some wood strips before they closed shop, but that wood won't last.  I am looking for boxwood, holly and cherry strips of one mm thickness and widths of 3 to 6 mm .  If anyone knows of a source for such miniature lumber, regardless of nationality or location, please let me know.  Hardwood from Micro Mark is fine, but the other woods make for much nicer presentations.

I have purchased  great quality cherry strips from ModelExpo. 

I have heard others say there was a problem with their boxwood, but can't speak from experience.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Here are two places that sell some hardwood strips and sheets

Balsa Wood Shop - www.balsawoodshop.com - they sell Black Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany, Maple, Oak and Bass besides balsa.

National Balsa - www.nationalbalsa.com - they sell Cherry, Mahogany, Maple, Walnut, Bass and balsa.
Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

You wont find holly anywhere.  Boxwood will be tough too.  But Cherry is easy enough to find.  You will find many places for Cherry in strip and sheet form.   

Anyway...this guy in Europe supposedly sells Boxwood and pear strips.   But his website is kind of poor.   Folks speak highly of them though.

https://www.arkowood-lossburg.de/

Remember that the boxwood strips from model expo are NOT boxwood.   They are cheap died soft wood veneer cut into strips.  Its also bright yellow.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I have no ability to mill it at the moment, I took an opportunity to purchase one of the remaining boxwood billets from Crown Timberyard - this was in August, and I see now that there is nothing any longer listed on their website, so I suppose that's it.

Does the a wood supplier for Model Shipwrights still operate?  Their website is still operational and they do sell milled strips and sheets, as I understand. I've only dealt with them to purchase their Hannah kit, so can't speak to other aspects of the business, but my limited experience with them was good

hamilton

Edited by hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Try this one, www.northeasternscalelumber.com. They have basswood, cherry, and mahogany among other stuff.  Have not used them in a long time, but I always received excellent service from them in the past. I only work with bass and purchase that through Model Expo presently that sells in large quantities yielding a lower unit cost. 

Scott

I went to buy some plywood the other day at a local wood supplier here in Vancouver and noticed that they have some nice Holly billets in the shop. It may be that such things can be found for those who have the ability to mill the billets to model scales....but I sense that times are getting tough for us in relation to the availability of wood species

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

They are primarily known in the model RR community for making precision made track turnout/switch assembly fixtures/jigs and tools. Their fixtures are CAD/CAM, quite accurate and quite pricey. Mt Albert was a stand-alone wood supplier with excellent wood. Fast Tracks bought them up and continues to make the wood products, including structure kits(mostly O scale). The wood strips I've purchased have been very accurately cut.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Yes, along with Northeastern Scale Lumber, too. https://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I'm not sure if you're looking for suppliers in the UK but I've found  one that does milled strips of yellow Cedar  and are quite reasonably priced. 

http://www.balsacabin.co.uk

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

31 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

for suppliers in the UK...  http://www.thebalsacabin.co.uk

I think that link is does not work, this is the one that works for me:

https://www.balsacabin.co.uk/

Edited by bruce d
tact

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

11 minutes ago, bruce d said:

Thanks Bruce👍 ,I've edited  the link.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

I deeply regret my choice of words as I have just seen that the owner of the business passed away. Please read the announcement on the front page of their website before ordering. I am editing the text in my earlier post.

29 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:
33 minutes ago, bruce d said:

... this is the one that works for me:

https://www.balsacabin.co.uk/

Thanks Bruce👍

Edited by bruce d
tact

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Thanks for letting  me know, I have edited my post also.

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Completed:

Bruce the #18 post quote still needs alteration 

Current builds;

Completed: