Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

thank you Bindy  :)   the Crow's nests are a pain to scratch build...just round railed tops.  I have one done......one more to go.  you'll see them soon  ;)  .......they won't be perfect,  but for a first attempt,  they'll do.   thanks for the good word and looking in  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

ok popeye u know u can make them with your eyes closed lol just had to say it lol have a great one

thanks Dragzz..........I might have done just that :D :D :D    too late for an update...I'll try to get it up tomorrow ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I wonna see, I wonna see, hurry up, come on were waiting, getting impatient here.

Still waiting  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still waiting  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Whoa... Mobbsie... is that you?  Or did a certain person hijack your membership?   :D  :D :D  :D  :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think there's an outside influence working here Mark, need to investigate the source. :D  :D :D  :D  :D  :D  

Popeye, I'm sure the result of your endeavours will be superb, waiting ever so patiently. ;)

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

thank you Lawrence.   yes,  there are some thing I need to change......the railings were one of them.  then I have missing parts,  so I'm sure this will lead into more.   thanks for the good word ;)

yes Mobbsie........I can see,  your waiting patiently.........that's It!!   no more crossing the pond for you and Sjors :D :D   he's teaching you bad things! :D :D

as promised,  here are the pictures of the masting,  and the problem that I need to deal with.

post-612-0-45673200-1393201509_thumb.jpg

I feel there is too much rake  with the Mizzen mast.   with it having this much rake,  it upsets the canopy.

post-612-0-93791700-1393201622_thumb.jpg

I haven't measured it,  but it looks to me,  to be about 1/8 of an inch.   I think that these two  'holes'  are too close together.   the mast does have a collar......so it may help me when I make the adjustment.  I can even divide the amount of adjustment between the lower aft deck and the main deck holes,  cutting down the amount change,  and still achieve what I need to do.   I'll see when I get to this point.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

now.......for the main update.   I began to assemble the pump

post-612-0-44825200-1393202061_thumb.jpg

then I started to paint some of the decoration parts.   I need to do some painting........before I do though,  I want to look around some more,  for more pictures.   but,  I think I'm only going to find the more  'up to date'  version of this ship.

post-612-0-22841800-1393202244_thumb.jpg

there are to be a couple of Sampson posts for the bow

post-612-0-15494900-1393202277_thumb.jpg

these are the parts that I have for the crow's nests......I'm missing quite a few of the hoops

post-612-0-29538500-1393202348_thumb.jpg

so,  instead of using these parts,  and having them look  'off',  I am going to make the fore and main nests from scratch.   I began with the posts.

post-612-0-94766600-1393202440_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-29965500-1393202450_thumb.jpg

this is the main mast nest........I soaked some strip stock to make the lower railings

post-612-0-43259300-1393202562_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-47755800-1393202574_thumb.jpg

the upper railing is going to be a bit wider.   it will be sanded down after the nest is assembled,  to give it a more rounded look to it.

post-612-0-13338200-1393202660_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-35472600-1393202675_thumb.jpg

I will use a little filler to close up the gaps....then,  of course a little sanding to round it up and even out the appearance.   it looks a little out of round at the moment.......I did it by eye  .

post-612-0-34342900-1393202828_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-63722700-1393202848_thumb.jpg

still more to do on it......as well as assemble the fore nest.   I may have to paint......I fear many glue blotches.........perhaps I can match the color.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye, the crow's nest looks good. Scratch building something circular or octagonal isn't the easiest thing to do and it looks as though you have it mastered.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Denis

Well done mate on producing a very acceptable and creditable nest, as Patrick said it's not an easy task.

I don't think your Mizzen mast will take much fixing mate and I'm sure you know exactly what you are going to do, with your skill and ability these problems are not problems just fun.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Nice work, Popeye.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thank you all for your kind comments.......I really appreciate it  :)     I started to make them using white glue,  but they kept moving,  so I went with the CA......hated to do it.   the  'work week'  has a way of getting the CA off the finger tips......parts cleaner works well ;)   I  am happy with the results......even though it a little out.   I've done a little sanding,  and it does look a bit better.   now that I have some time for the table....I'll get the other one done,  and perhaps assemble the masts.

you are so right Mobbsie......the fix on the mizzen will be fun.   I have a good idea of what to do.   I should have an update soon.   thank you everyone for looking in and the good word!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye ---- to get CA off your fingertips just use a sanding block.  100 grit works well.  Don't think I have any fingerprints left!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks for the tip.......I'll try it after I make the fore nest  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Or borrow the Admiral's fingernail polish remover... just make sure it's kind WITH acetone. :)

I think Augie's been watching too many of the old safecracker movies.   :D  :D :D  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Popeye ---- to get CA off your fingertips just use a sanding block.  100 grit works well.  Don't think I have any fingerprints left!

Dremell is better for fingers ...

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

so,  you use the motorized method Nenad.........interesting ;)

actually,  when at home,  I used the age-old method..........dish washing :D :D :D :D    yea.......I can get Palmolive and be gentle on the hands  {you know your soaking in it}

.......or I can use Dawn......and take that grease,  right out of my way!!!   believe me gents......your admirals will love ya for it........better than flowers! :D  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Haven't tried the Dremel yet --- thanks Nenad.  I tried Popeye's dish washing method but had trouble keeping the door closed during the rinse cycle.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

you gotta use a screw driver to keep the tab in............;)  I see you don't drive the dish washer too much....huh?   I told the admiral,  she better look around for a newer model......this one is getting old!  :)

I did some sanding on the main mast crow's nest...it looks OK.......but it still looks a bit off.

post-612-0-46953000-1393387066_thumb.jpg

I figured that I would make the fore mast nest......if it comes out any better,  I try to do something with the other one.

post-612-0-93648500-1393387160_thumb.jpg

while this was drying,  I dolled up the pump a little.

post-612-0-97127700-1393387197_thumb.jpg

the first set of railings are on

post-612-0-03958600-1393387294_thumb.jpg

then the top railings went on.   of course I used the same method as the other one,  so I added a little putty on the joints.

post-612-0-55170000-1393387375_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-70880700-1393387387_thumb.jpg

the fore mast nest looks a bit off too.........it's going to be close

post-612-0-44983900-1393387439_thumb.jpg

now that the fore mast nest has been sanded........yea,  it's a little off too.    it looks better than the main mast nest though.   not sure if i want to mess with the main mast nest and risk botching it up.......I'll have to think about it.

post-612-0-21805000-1393387730_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07937000-1393387765_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye, you're getting a bit hard to follow, and I've been a bit remiss in commenting on your progress on your various builds. Just to let you know, I am trying to follow as best I can, and you're doing a great job. :)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

hello Andy!   glad to see your back  :)     yea......too much time on the planking makes for a very bored boy!  ;)   I was looking at the  'last paid any attention to'  dates,  and figured I'd start with this one.   at this point of the build,  there was plenty of itch'in........and the scratch'in feels good  :)   not to worry,  my friend.........glad to see you.......thanks for stopp'in by and the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

that's a possibility John.......I used the kit base for the nests,  because they have the pre drilled holes.   let me see if I can make another base.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm not sure I see anything wrong with the ones you've already built but then maybe I will when I see the ones you build from scratch.  

Popeye, I think they look fine. I'm what you're noticing won't be as noticable once they are in place. If you are going to have another go at them then maybe try to construct the octagonal upper rails flat on a piece of paper and mount it as a whole to the rest of it.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

thanks Daniel........I look at the top rail for the main nest,  as opposed to the fore nest,  and yea......I need to do something with it.  I'm having a problem finding a piece of plywood the same thickness,  so I'll probably be making adjustments to the original one.  I'm still on the look out though......with the amount of cast-off wood I have......I'm shocked!   thanks for the good word  ;)

thanks Patrick........I thought about using a compass  to trace out the rail rings,  but I never have good luck with that.   splitting is a big problem.....I don't have the cool tools.   I'll just have to see what I come up with  ;)    thanks for the good word and the suggestion,  I really appreciate it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Glad to see you're going to build new.  That's what you'd tell others to do.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray