Any ideas how i should cover that cap? 

In the picture you can see that my lover planks are ending too soon. 

Can you come up with somekind solution.

Frame, copper plates or somethin what covers that part in the end. 😅

Im going to do the rest like it should but i dont know what would be best choice to cover that mistake

Kit is from korabel so all planks are precut, if all hope is lost then the last choice is to order new set of planks from korabel 

IMG_20200211_011310.jpg

IMG_20200211_011150.jpg

15813771204367496988480085261520.jpgspan widget

Edited by Kalakukko

All hope is never lost.  You can get fillers that will nearly match the wood, or add sawdust to glue and make your own.

I also have a bad habit of just filling the gaps and painting the hull.  I am not partial to unpainted models though, but that’s just my preference.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

As Phil said, “hope is never lost”. Do you have a trimmed piece korabel? If so, cut a piece to fit exactly into the gap, put some pva glue into the seam and sand with fine paper while the glue is still damp. It will form an almost invisible seam. If you do not have an extra piece of the same wood, you can surely find something that will stain very close. Very nice work by the way! If after all attempts at repair fail to your satisfaction, display that side of the model to the wall. 

Edited by Bossman

Current build: Model Shipways “Confederacy “

Completed builds:

Mamoli “Royal Louis“

Mantua “Royal Caroline”

Scratch 1/4 scale gondola “Philadelphia”

Scratch “Hannah” from Hahn plans. 

I am afraid he is not only talking about this hole marked in my pic as "A", but he didn't properly do spiling of his planks and did not run the lowest plank (garboard) all the way to the bearding line - as "B".

Also, his planks don't abutt into the bow section of the keel (into the rabbet) but end before it.

Kalakukko, do yourself a favor and read a couple of tutorials here on planking the hull by David Antscherl and Chuck Passaro and, after obtaining extra replacement planks from Korabel, remove wrong planks and do the  spiling (determining the correct run) of your planks,- replace them, and everything should be OK.   :)

IMG_20200211_011150_jpg_6dd012b503eddcf35935c3887f181a1e copy.jpg

One option that would save most of the planking is to score all the planks in a 4 or 5 butt shift pattern and then you could just remove the forward and aft sections of the planks and re do to the stem rabbit and stern ( if needed) then continue the shift down to the garboard and Bob’s your uncle!

Edited by ASAT

49 minutes ago, Dziadeczek said:

I am afraid he is not only talking about this hole marked in my pic as "A", but he didn't properly do spiling of his planks and did not run the lowest plank (garboard) all the way to the bearding line - as "B".

Also, his planks don't abutt into the bow section of the keel (into the rabbet) but end before it.

Kalakukko, do yourself a favor and read a couple of tutorials here on planking the hull by David Antscherl and Chuck Passaro and, after obtaining extra replacement planks from Korabel, remove wrong planks and do the  spiling (determining the correct run) of your planks,- replace them, and everything should be OK.   :)

IMG_20200211_011150_jpg_6dd012b503eddcf35935c3887f181a1e copy.jpg

He didn't spile the planks at all because, as he stated up front, they're pre-cut planks. They're pre-spiled. Your artwork is showing the area he hasn't done the second planking on. They will pretty much look like you've drawn when he's done. Or at least, they're supposed to. The problem is those upper five planks are all laid just a tad short of the actual stem. So, what to do?

Kalakukko, personally, I think you're better off redoing those planks with new ones from Master Korabel, if they'll provide them. Sorry you ran into that issue. The hull is looking very nice otherwise.

Clare

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

1 hour ago, catopower said:

He didn't spile the planks at all because, as he stated up front, they're pre-cut planks. They're pre-spiled. Your artwork is showing the area he hasn't done the second planking on. They will pretty much look like you've drawn when he's done. Or at least, they're supposed to. The problem is those upper five planks are all laid just a tad short of the actual stem. So, what to do?

Kalakukko, personally, I think you're better off redoing those planks with new ones from Master Korabel, if they'll provide them. Sorry you ran into that issue. The hull is looking very nice otherwise.

Clare

I didn't realize that his is double planked. If so, I still would order more planks, remove those upper ones, and repeat upper planking, making sure that they come into the rabbet in the stem as well as the sternpost. Perhaps they were originally too short? Maybe, as ASAT suggested, he should cut those upper ones in the middle of the hull and replace those shorter pieces with new ones, saving on work and material, but I would stagger the butts to look more naturally.

Before attaching a garboard strake, I would detach a false keel from the keel and file off edges on both surfaces, thus creating a, sort off, groove after glueing them together. This would became a rabbet, where the planks' edges would go.

By the way, he said that his planks were pre-cut, but he didn't mention that they were also pre-spiled. If so, I still wouldnt' trust the kit and spile them myself.

My three pennies...

Edited by Dziadeczek

Thank you for answers!

Aah yes i forgot to reshape that part where those planks are now stopping😅🤦‍♂️

Good thing is that korabel sells those plank sets seperatly.

(18 euros for both sides)

Now starting to reshape that part.

I want to keep "wood look" on this ship and not paint that hull so i will order new set and do it right way this time🙂🤔

Well next time i wont make same mistake. 

IMG_20200211_172458.jpg

Edited by Kalakukko

• 2 weeks later...

When you redo this you could adjust a couple of other things apart from the length of the planks. I notice that you also have a "pointed" plank.  This would never be done in practice s it would be a source of leakage. Planks should never be tapered to more than half of their full width. This is caused largely because your last six planks could be tapered a bit more but also because your garboard finishes a bit too far forward.  If you finish it a bit further aft that will avoid crowding of the next four planks.  The ones after that look OK ( except of course they need to be extended into the rabbet).  You could probably finis the garboard not far forward of that join between the stem and the keel.

John

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

John, that “pointed plank” is a half showing plank on the first layer of planking and the second, pinkish, pear layer is the second layer of planking so I doubt he has a pointed plank. Pretty sure all the planks have been pre spiled and come that way as part of the kit. His problem must have been he cut the second layer planks too short and didn’t take them all the way to the stem “rabbet”?

1 hour ago, ASAT said:

John, that “pointed plank” is a half showing plank on the first layer of planking and the second, pinkish, pear layer is the second layer of planking so I doubt he has a pointed plank. Pretty sure all the planks have been pre spiled and come that way as part of the kit. His problem must have been he cut the second layer planks too short and didn’t take them all the way to the stem “rabbet”?

OK, ASAT,  I see what's happening now.  I hadn't read the thread properly to see it was double planked. So if he cuts longer planks it should look OK. The only issue that toward the keel there will be a big difference between the first and second planking.  so it looks like this need replacing as well unless he were to fill the disrepancny in some way. Kalakukko, we have all made mistakes some are more easily corrected than others.

John

Edited by bartley

Current Build:

Medway Longboat

Completed Builds:

Concord Stagecoach

HM Cutter Cheerful

Royal Caroline

Schooner for Port Jackson

I know it is your second ship, and everybody can make mistakes especially when they encounter the hardest thing like the planking. 

https://thenrg.org/half-hull-planking-kit.php

I highly recommend you to buy this education kit. My package is still in a post office, but I anticipate the kit will improve my planking technique significantly. Also, please start the build log! It is much helpful more than I thought.

Sorry about no advice on your issue.

On 2/21/2020 at 6:26 PM, druxey said:

As already mentioned, please read the planking tutorials on this site - they are free!

This is probably the best bit advice for planking issues.   Once one reads and absorbs the concepts, the mystery is gone.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

16 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

Yes the planking advice on the site is excellent - my point is with this class of  precision precut plank kits the normal planking practice just doesnt apply. Its a slightly different world.

Very true, Spyglass.   I've done a couple of their ship's boats and they are "different".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)