HM Cutter Lady Nelson by Paul_S - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

8 hours ago, Paul_S said:

How do i go about this in future?

What VTHokiEE is saying, is what I mentioned up thread.

The chisel may not work so well with MDF, but sand paper and files should do it.  If you have a rotary tool, a little drum sander would help if used carefully.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

My experience starts to fall off here very quickly but I think you want to sand down to account for that first layer of planking (1mm on both sides). Then the second layer can be fitted or sanded to make a nice edge if desired. someone with more experience will have to jump in here though to correct me if needed.

I looked at the back of my build and I decided that I didn’t mind how it looked with the second layer a little proud towards the top. I noticed it in other builds with two layers of planking as well. I could only offer possibilities though since I don’t really know the answer.

Paul, 

First of all a warm welcome to our corner of the model ship world.
Choosing a Victory model as a second, I like it! 
I didn't know that the false keel was made out of mdf board. 
You have done a fantastic job so far. I will follow along this build.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Paul, 

you may leave the keel and sternpost-parts until the first planking is done and add them after that. The planks at the stern will almost lay flat on the false keel and you will be able to sand the first planking as much down as needed so the second planking will be in line with the keel and the stern post.

Best regards,

Andreas

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

4 hours ago, Paul_S said:

I sanded a bearding line in but with 1mm of first plank and 0.5 mm of second plank x 2 meant i needed to sand it down by 3mm total which is the thickness of the false keel so that didnt seem possible, i got it down pretty thin already and it still stood proud

Good information.  With all said and done, I have that kit in my stash, and will have to think about making that work when I get around to building it.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

So I planked the inside of the bulkheads which was pretty easy and have also planked the deck.  I randomly chose a planking pattern and decided i was goign to try 'joggling' ( i think thats the name).   I think its turned out pretty well

I caulked each plank with a pencil to get some lines in between

image0.jpg?width=1051&height=788

Halfway point  Not too happy about how the ends of boards lined up at the top left leaving me with the small pieces, but not sure how to avoid that.

Finished, can you spot the 2 deliberate errors?

and post sanding

image0.jpg?width=591&height=788

You're the judge. If you do put treenails in the deck, they should be barely visible. At 1:64 they have to be 0.4mm diameter, then covered by a stopper of the same colour as the deck with the faintest of margins on the rim of the plug visible. Then imagine yourself looking at a real ship from the deck, where you can barely make them out when your eyes are 5 feet or so away, and then put yourself in the position of looking at the deck from from 64 times that distance. That would be 320 feet or 97 metres. Do you want to be realistic, or draw attention to your skill or do you want to replicate models? It's an old conundrum.

Tony

Edited by tkay11
added 'or'

I think Tony is spot on for accuracy... but I think they look neat. Judging by the fact that you’re asking I’m going to throw my vote behind - Sure, why not? It’s awesome to have a finished model but the journey, that is really the fun. If it adds significant time but you think it’d be a nice addition then I say go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a few days messing around with treenails and couildn't come up with a method i was happy with so decided to forego them for now.  Maybe next model..

Got a few other parts done now

Wales are done although the measurements on my model didnt quite match up to the plans I think they are ok.  

Capping rails ar e on but were too short, definetly messed up the back end somehow can see where it looks a little uneven but i think i've managed to hide it. Seems to be a consistent theme for me, hiding where I ballsed it up.

Red bits are painted as well as the wales.  I think im going to leave the rest natural wood rather than paint it white, bit scared the paint will show up errors a bit too much, and i think the wood looks nicer.

Started working on the deck furniture now with the hatches

image0.jpg?width=591&height=788

Quite pleased with this!

• 1 month later...

Finally got all the deck furniture done.  Took so much longer than I expected.  On to the masts now and figuring out how to taper them

image0.jpg?width=683&height=911

Not entirely happy with the big thing near the front, looks very plastic-y and not sure how i can fix it, otherwise pretty chuffed with how its going

It’s looking really nice; I’d be quite proud of it as well. Is there any way to apply a clear matte coat to the large winch (I believe that is what it is)? That might tone it down a little bit, but I don’t know that it’s necessary.

• 3 months later...

No other pics atm but will try get some, that ones a bit blurry.

My nephew has been fascinated by me building it and has asked me to make one for him.  Hes pretty lively so i think HMS Terror will fit him perfectly so will be making that for him.  If he can stay patient long enough for me to finish it

The Terror is a magnificent ship, I will follow that build along as well.
Nice finish of Lady Nelson.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Congratulations on finishing your Lady Nelson.  You did an excellent job on building this model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...