HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

I'll look into it

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

very clever Andy.... you're going to put some people out of business :D 

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Not my original intention... :P

And I firmly believe that when it comes to these sorts of things, I usually only get lucky once... So mass production is out of the question... ;)

Although I did PM Robbyn something that might pass for instructions, I may have her scared off making her own as I haven't heard back as yet...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Nice Andy... 

If you find some way to attach a hook to one end you can strop blocks as well...

As I'm no engineer I have to ask if there is a specific reason why you spaced the crank axle and the tube with the rope with a gear?

Edited by Seasick

That's a great serving machine. Your mizzen shrouds look awesome. I will definitely be revisiting my serving machine and applying your ideas as mine is a PITA to use.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Nice Andy... 

If you find some way to attach a hook to one end you can strop blocks as well...

As I'm no engineer I have to ask if there is a specific reason why you spaced the crank axle and the tube with the rope with a gear?

Because both ends of the rope should turn in the same direction (and in the same rotation speed).

Not usiong a gear and attatchinhg the crank on the 'rope-holding tube' itself will cause the rope to twist.

Jan

Andy how much of the shroud is served - is it just down to the catharpins

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Not scared away Andy, I am heading back to Nebraska for the Memorial weekend So on Saturday I will be at model train store. Taking my list with me. Thank you so much for the help!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Because both ends of the rope should turn in the same direction (and in the same rotation speed).

Not usiong a gear and attatchinhg the crank on the 'rope-holding tube' itself will cause the rope to twist.

Jan

No, I mean the gear between the handle and the rope-tube

Eric, the spacing was needed because of the size of the gears. they where the only ones the hobby shop had on hand, so to avoid rapping my knuckles on the spindle I needed to add a bit of spacing. Larger gears would eliminate the need for the idler gear.

Kevin, according to TFFM 4: The middle quarter of a pair of shrouds is to be served. (for example, my mizzen shrouds are approximately 15 cm, x2 means 30cm total length, so a quarter of that is 7.5 cm). Also on the fore and main masts, the leading shroud is supposed to be served its entire length, but whether I do that or not is still up for debate.

Robbyn... ok... I wasn't sure, have a nice trip and good luck at the hobby shop. ;)

Patrick, thank you very much for the compliment, let me know if you want my more complete instructions :)

Anyway.. I hoped to have more done today, but a phone call first thing this morning (not work BTW) had me dashing up north... seems our lake rose 2 feet overnight and a few things where in great peril of drifting away, namely the dock boards, and needed to be rescued.

We got off pretty lucky... a few people at the south end of the lake are going to have problems.. they left their boats on mooring lines a bit too short... and as the water rose... well... the lines got tight and well... they're now the proud owners of outboard submarines.... :rolleyes:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

.......you mean like the guy in California,  who burried caddys nose first in the sand?

hee....hee..........and he called it art ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

And me Andy, that's one super set-up, PLEEEEEEESE

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Ok... back to the task at hand.. or rather.... what I intended to do yesterday...

I had started work on the mizzen shrouds and I got about this far. Things were going well, but I had to pause for a moment. I'm wondering if the deadeye lanyards are a bit too long. I'm not adverse to redoing the shroud if the expert opinions deem it so (it is only one pair so far). I've only secured the forward lanyard with a single half hitch so undoing it won't be much of a challenge, and neither will be remaking the shroud again...

Let me know what you all think..

Andy

post-34-0-53405000-1369491835_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy,

Just spent some time reading your log and I have to say what wonderful work you have done on this model.As for the lanyards,possibly,a little shorter,but not much.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

To use a technical term, perhaps a hair shorter.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Andy,

I don't know who it was saying but the length of the lanyard is 2 1/2 times the deadeye…..

I think It's now to long .

But you are doing a much better job then I do!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

yes......2 1/2 times the size of the dead eye is the basic rule....that's what I read in the days of the old site.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

lovely work, 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks David :)

I've just finished serving a replacement shroud, and I'm waiting for the acrylic to dry. That stuff is great to use on rigging.... I highly recommend it for anyone. Not only good for dealing with fuzzies, it has provided extra reinforcement for my knots and servings, and when I pulled the shrouds off, all the loops at the top have held their shapes... (But nothing is too stiff or brittle either!)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Whoops... Just missed you Kevin... Thanks ;)

Andy

lol must be all the weight i have lost

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

I like how smooth your ties are, very nice.

No doubt somewhere in the 39 or so pages you've probably said, but what acrylic? I started rigging, hated the fuzzy green junk thread from AL and ordered morope so I'm sort of on hold now. I tied a few shroud lines and used CA but it makes everything very stiff so a better replacement would be nice when the good stuff arrives.