HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

So I was down to the final tapering of the main topgallant mast.. I was sanding away, when there was this sudden, unexpected flexibility in the wood... **&^% :angry:

I attempted to replace the section with a toothpick, seeing as the length and diameter where close,and I tried to stain the toothpick a sort of walnut colout...... all I ended up with was a blotchy tookthpick... :( and a vaguely minty smelling mast.... :huh:

Back to square one.... so much for this morning's work..... :blink:

Andy

post-34-0-78180500-1368460813_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-90550800-1368460815_thumb.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Dang...need a dislike button here!  Vaguely minty smelling mast almost sounds like a song title for some odd reason!

Sorry to see that, Andy, but have faith you will overcome and achieve a glorious colourful result (spelt it corektly this time, too!)

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Well colour me impressed  (how's that,  did I do good?)

The pegasus is terrific!!!   Spent a good portion of the last hour catching up on the threads and really liking the looks of things.   You guys and some of these magnificent boats are awesome to follow!!!!

Sorry about the break though =(   Am sure you will overcome and adapt!! (well,  you did.. toothpick.. nice!!)

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Thanks Adam :)

I'm afraid the toothpick mast is destined to find itself in the scrap bin. Not right away, though. Have to have another go at making topgallant masts, but if things keeping going like this morning....

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy - your masts demonstrate a magnificent grasp of the idiosyncratic application of innovative and illusory technical nuances to achieve a subtle yet accurate appearance.  The workmanship remains of the highest quality while your intuitive use of color and application of artistic skill brings a harmonious brilliance which perpetuates the illusion of reality.  Inexorably, you continue to provide an education to those of us yearning for enlightenment.

Translation - looking really good, I like the mast bands and will continue to watch and learn from your build.

Pretty good for a yankee, eh?

Hmmm...since we are going there, you forgot a comma between brilliance and which, and Yankee should be capitalized.

Sorry, Wayne I couldn't resist :P

And no, no, no, please do not inundate me with a plethora of scathing remarks...I am only kidding!!!! I come here to escape from grammar rules NOT enforce them.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Andy, try wood conditioner on the toothpick, I am told it keeps the blotchiness away when adding stain

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Thanks Robbyn, but I'm not too concerned yet... I've got a large enough supply of strip wood to keep me busy making mistakes for a good long while yet ;)

The minty mast will only be used as a last resort

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Mmm... sorry about the mast break, Andy. Well, good side of this: thus you can practice turning masts!  :D (just kidding, there must have been bad words involved I guess...)

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Thanks, everyone :)

Just to update, the saga of the minty mast is drawing to its inevitable conclusion. I think I have a pretty good idea as to what caused the break in the first place. Although I still suspect I may have sanded a little too vigorously, looking closely at the dowel, it would appear that the grain did a little yeowie and at the point of the break, the mast was almost cross-grained. A few inches up the dowel and the grain yeowed back to parallel...

Bottom line, I managed to turn another quantity of walnut dowel into dust and successfully sanded out another spar... Yay.

But if anyone needs a minty smelling mast, just let me know... ;)

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Minty mast?  Sounds like something one would stick in a drink with an umbrella in it.   You could hang onto it as it would make a nice swizzle stick for hot chocolate.

As for all the sesquipedalians popping up in untoward places such as this one and running amok, I must take due pause and go find the popcorn machine and the adult beverage dispenser before the verbage re-commences.  On the other hand, I won't ask for more pictures and less barffelgab like certain others who are overdue in their appearance on these august pages. <ducks><run><dives for the bunker>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

John, you'd probably prefer the colourless variety... Just so you don't end up staining your teeth ;)

As for the aluminium thing.... Even here there are people who argue over the correct pronunciation...

Just go with the small victories.. Getting even one of our American cousins to spell colour correctly is enough to keep me happy...

On the other hand...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

On behalf of the USA, we shall sanction your usage of 'colour' and even 'centre' (in the interest of detente).  However, under no circumstances shall the pronunciation 'alu-MIN-ium' be tolerated.  I don't care if Hillary did use alu-MIN-ium ladders to climb Everest.  The ALU-min-um Company of America carries considerable weight.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Where is the old 'pounding your head against a brick wall' emoticon when you need it?  I'm going to go smoke a fag.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Andy,

I see that your mast is broken?

You blame me because I shoot the mast off on Frank his Supply.

I think those cotton canon balls are strong…….

Now I have from 3 ships shoot the masts off  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

The Supply, Victory and Pegasus  :D  :D  :D

Yes, it makes my day!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

glad you found good resolve for the mast saga.    the word colour is old english.........all through my young life,  I was taught to spell it as color.   bolstered by the Crayola people,  and that darn peacock I used to see on TV,  I've gone through my life spelling it without the  'U'.

I looked in the dictionary,  thinking that they might have it in there both ways....but no,  it is spelt as  'color'.   I forgot to mention that the Kodak people also had a hand in my up bringing.....you wouldn't think so,  since they can't even spell their own name right  {Kodac}. :)

nice work with the mast though.......I'll try to refrain from using the word.......I'll use other words.....like:   tint......shade.....and yes,  even highlight ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Shame about the mast Andy. On the other hand, it's been a most entertaining discussion on the English language!!!

Well... It happened again... :angry:

This time the fore topgallant mast

*%#€% :angry::wacko:

Just starting to taper and "snap" another morning's work down the $#!++er

Ratzafratz!!

Back to square one again... :rolleyes:

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Dangit, Andy - maybe you need to tackle them thar minuterer masts during the evening?  They seem to be somewhat off-colour and not receptive to abrasion during the morning. :( :( :(

Or, perhaps, use a more ninja like approach when you sneak up on the buggers.

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I don't know really what happened... I carefully checked the grain the the wood... I'd only just started... I'm sure I was not applying too much pressure... I dunno.... Maybe the weather has something to do with it....

Time for a new strategy...

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

You think a little humidity might help?  Never thought of that.  Takes a good while for wood to re-equilibrate at a higher moisture content....and it won't stay there very long.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976