HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

Randy and Sjors.. sorry if I've been a bit vague about the whole thing..

For knots I secure them with a small dab of GS Hypo Cement. http://georgestrains.com/search/?query=Hypo+Cement&records=6

This stuff is great, a little smelly, but it soaks right into the line and dries with a little flexibility in it. After that I'll brush on Acrylic Matte Medium instead of wax to cut down on the fuzzies and whatnot. A 500ml Bottle of premixed (diluted) medium from Scenic Express goes for about $6: http://georgestrains.com/product/81555-scen-matte-medium-16-oz/

BTW, if you can't find a local supplier, George's Trains will ship internationally and overseas.

In the case of my servings, after making up a run on my machine, I'll just coat the whole thing in matte medium and let it dry before removing the rope.

Anyway, I've re-jigged the first mizzen shrouds.. much nicer now..

The lanyards are sill just held with a single half hitch in case things need to be adjusted.

Andy

post-34-0-82030800-1369510616_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-18622900-1369510628_thumb.jpg

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy,

Your doing a Mk1 job my friend.

The seizing on your shrouds is fantastic and I think will be copied by a lot of builders on this site, your deadeyes are neat and tidy and very well done.

If I can do half as well I'll be a very happy man.

Thanks again for the PM

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I don't want to but I have to agree with Mobbsie  :D

Great job on the lanyards and shrouds!

Mobbsie is happy when he can do half of that……I think there is no measurement for which I'm happy when I can do that…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Nice job Andy! I'm going to have to investigate that Acrylic Matte Medium. One thing you might like to check at this early stage with your shrouds (and this is being a little nit-picky) is the direction they take around the deadeye and which side the "tail" of the shroud finishes. I haven't got the references in front of me but if memory serves me correctly, when viewed from outboard, the shroud should pass around the deadeye in a clockwise direction, cross over itself, and then finish (the tail that is) on the right of the shroud. That means that on the starboard side, the tails will finish on the fore side of the shroud, and on the port side they will finish on the aft side. I hope I've got that right and haven't confused you. Happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong. :)

Uh.... Oh.... Hmmm.....

I've got it set so that on both sides the dead end is on the aft side of the shroud.... I hate to say it, but it's a small detail that I think I shall choose to overlook.. ;)

So I am in no position to say you are right or wrong.. I'm just going to do it my way, but thanks for your compliment :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy-  That length looks spot on.  Very nice.

Thanks to Grant's comment, I just went down and checked my deadeye shroud wraps......they go clockwise.  Not because of logic or reason ---- just blind luck on a 50/50 chance.  However, yours look 800% neater so I'll trade anytime.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Andy,

It's those comments that send us all running to the workshop/boatyard with an "oh my god"....  Sometimes it's followed by a "crap" and other times by a "whew".  I think this is one of those things for chalking it up to "learning".  :)  ;)  ;)

Your shrouds, lanyards and deadeyes look great to me. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

you got me into a blind panic then - dont know why- im years away from rigging and dead eyes

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

nice job on the shrouds Andy.   so far I've done mine clockwise,  for ease of construction.   I wonder if this would play into it....whether your left or right handed?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Andy,

Didn't mean to send you into a flat spin.  Just thought that if you caught it early, it wouldn't be much of a re-do if you chose.  Anyway, it's a minor detail that is hard to see once the deadeye lanyards are finished off, even if you are looking for it.  Your shrouds still look great!

Augie - sometimes in life, you just get lucky! :) 

Hi Andy

Great looking shrouds! I especially like the serving (which I avoided so far because of sheer laziness).

About the way the shroud is taken around the deadeye: I’m afraid I did it exactly the same way as you – the wrong way. James Lees actually tells us that it should be clockwise on both sides of the ship. I will leave mine wrong as they are but will correct that on the next build.

You fix your lanyards initially only with a half hitch to leave room for adjustments. That’s sensible. Additionally I also leave a few cm of extra length on all the shrouds and stays until everything on one mast is attached and adjusted.

The knots and lashings are only fixed with diluted white glue which can be dissolved again with a little water in case a deadeye has to be shifted. Only when all the rigging is standing are the ends trimmed and the lanyards fixed permanently.

Cheers

Peter

Popeye brings up a good point.  Are you left handed, Andy?

As far as flat spins are concerned, do the following:

1)  Neutralize all control surfaces

2)  Apply rudder in direction opposite the spin

3)  Put head between knees

4)  Kiss butt goodbye.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Am I left handed? :huh: .... well... the answer to that is long and convoluted...

I think by default I am right handed... but it could have gone either way...

I play hockey and golf left handed, I can swing a baseball bat either way (although a bit more effective left handed), tennis right handed. I write right, but apparantly way back when I was first being taught to write, I was constantly switching hands, and my teachers would consistently put the pencil back in my right hand... although for all intents and purposes, my hand writing goes from illegible to atrocious.... :rolleyes:

I'm not ambidextrous.. so who knows what the heck I am....

Mark, Peter, Popeye, Aldo, and everyone else, thanks for looking in, I'll try not to let all this positive feedback go to my head. :)

Anyway... a small progress report... finished the mizzen shrouds. And yes... I probably wrapped the deadeyes incorrectly, but I'm not changing that now.. it isn't something that really bothers me too much... maybe next time.

I've still only left the lanyards secure with a single half hitch and I've also left them a bit overlong. When I get the stay on, then I'll do a final tension adjustment and secure everything properly.

Andy

post-34-0-68801000-1369582773_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-17059600-1369582786_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-44531900-1369582797_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Sounds like you are......multidextrous!!!!!!

Well, I don't care if you rig with your feet ------ looks darned good from here.  Real good.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Beautiful work!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

That looks real good Andy

Is it a problem that the lanyards going the other way?

When you tide them up nobody see the difference.

Only the 4000 members of MSW but who cares….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

As per Lees - cable laid, anti clockwise; shroud laid, clockwise - oh, and if the rigging is wire, don't cross the shrouds at the deadeye. ;)  

Apart from that, make them look neat and no one will know what you've done anyway! :)

John

Andy,

I seem to have unintentionally opened a can of worms in the middle of your build log. My apologies for that. Your shrouds look great regardless of any academic discussion. As John (Jim Lad) says.

Grant, don't even worry about it for one minute ;)

Every little tidbit of extra information is always appreciated. The timing may not allow me to implement the correction, but don't worry... As I've said there's always "next" time :)

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

that explains it......your a southpaw!   it not a bad thing....so don't get scared!  LOL!!!   the shrouds and dead eyes look great andy,  such a neat job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Am I left handed? :huh: .... well... the answer to that is long and convoluted...

I think by default I am right handed... but it could have gone either way...

I play hockey and golf left handed, I can swing a baseball bat either way (although a bit more effective left handed), tennis right handed. I write right, but apparantly way back when I was first being taught to write, I was constantly switching hands, and my teachers would consistently put the pencil back in my right hand... although for all intents and purposes, my hand writing goes from illegible to atrocious.... :rolleyes:

I'm not ambidextrous.. so who knows what the heck I am....

Andy

I think many of us went through that "re-training" in school.  Mine didn't take so I'm a lefty with ambidextrous tendencies and the handwriting of the doctor's prescription  :) .  Last I heard they don't try to change a kid's dominant hand.  Less confusing to the kid.  I pitch and write left, bat and golf right and can work most power tools with either.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)