HMS Pegasus by realworkingsailor - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

The stay collar around the Mainmast looks good to me, at the scale involved making two eyes and a lashing around the back of the mast  is a result in itself. Imagine the purists trying to do a Rose Lashing. :wacko:

One minor nod to accuracy which won't involve you in any trouble, the stay passes around the Masthead from Port to Starboard so you may wish to  turn the stay  so the eye is on the Starboard side.

B.E.

Andy as you are away again soon, is there anything you can take with you as part of the hobby.or is life just to busy

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

BE: Thanks for the help. I can quickly change the stay. I think I slightly misread the book. Since nothing is secure yet, easy change :)

I will surely pick your brain a bit more as I get deeper into the rigging.

Kevin, about the only thing that's safe to bring along are instruction manuals; they fit in suitcases and can withstand a little roughy handling :rolleyes:

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Looks great Andy.  I like the mouse.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

nice bit of rigging so far andy....too bad you'll be called out soon.   I'm sure you'll make the most of it ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everyone :)

David, do you want/need a copy of my fabrication instructions?

Grant, thanks for looking in ;)

Tom, thanks :)

I am certain it is the Mamoli version, which really isn't all that bad.

Augie, that mouse is one thing that surprised me..... It really wasn't that hard to make.

Popeye, such is my fate, just when things are going well, stupid reality rears its ugly head :rolleyes:

Call me crazy.... But I am really enjoying the rigging. Once I figure out various servings and seizings, where they go, and, most importantly, how to make them, (which is where my machine proves it is much more valuable than the sum of its parts), I love just sitting back and picking at the various lines.....and yes, I know I haven't got to the ratlines yet.... :P

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Sweet.  That mouse is very effective.  Don't sweat the ratlines.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Andy,

Very well done....and the pics are also very well done. :)

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

So just a couple more pics this morning.

Another look at the mizzen stay collar lashing and the lanyard. I came about as close as I dared get to an actual rose lashing (I did have to look that up online, found this link: http://www.frayedknotarts.com/tutorials/roselash/roselash.html), ok maybe not quite, but it works.

The kit says to use 3mm deadeyes, but I used a couple of hearts I had. They may be a bit oversized, but they are more correct (I think).

I've also snugged up the shrouds and tied off the deadeye lanyards. When that was all done, I gave the lines a coat of matte medium so things don't get too fuzzy while I'm gone.

Andy

post-34-0-83787200-1370183465_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-19555900-1370183475_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-25018800-1370183486_thumb.jpg

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Good picture examples give good instruction. I've no clue if hearts are more 'correct' :huh: and I don't want to say I don't care but what i get from this build is your work is nice and tidy and neat and precise. Something for me to shoot for... now and on my next build which could well be the Pegasus sister... Fly.

I know you are being inundated with requests for the instructions but please accept

one more at your convenience.

Thanks, your work sets a high standard.

Thanks, Harley

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Thank you, Randy, Harley and Ferit :)

Randy, I would honestly recommend the Pegasus over the Fly. Don't get me wrong, both are equally nice kits to build, I just feel that with the upgrades that come with the Peg, there are more things that can be done (read: modified) with her. Although there is an upgrade kit for the Fly, I haven't ever seen one in stock or for sale.

Harley, don't worry, I'll gladly share my plans with MSW members.

Ferit, thanks for stopping by. I'm quietly enjoying your Berlin build as well.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy all of that work on the lines and serviings and eyes and - omg,  VERY neat and clean.   Very cool to look at!!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Hi Andy

You must serve some quality (Swiss?!) cheese on your Pegasus to attract such a quality mouse. Nice.

Perhaps you could just round out the aft edge a bit. I think the mouse was originally built up with ropes and threads and therefore shouldn’t have too sharp an edge.

post-504-0-36336100-1370204190_thumb.jpg

Here is how Wolfram zu Mondfeld builds his mouse. He uses thread but I think wood with a somehow roapy texture would be fine as well. Me, I am too lazy for all this and just use a asymmetric figure-of-eight-knot to simulate a mouse.

Cheers

Peter

Andy,

Memo for your next model; according to Lees the deadeyes would be correct, but the hearts look good anyway! :)

The rose lashing is merely a little short of rose.  if you were really demented, you could try making a rose shape and just tucking it under the seizing.

John

Thanks every one :)

Adam, I'm glad you (and many others) think my work is neat and tidy. The are a few things I would like to improve upon next time, but overall I am happy with the results

Peter, thanks for the sketch. The photos don't show it too well, but I did round off that end of the mouse. Maybe I'll do it a little bit more on the next one ;)

Ben and Sherry, thanks once again for your support

John.... Next time... ;)

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Looking really sweet Andy..........can't wait to see your rigging as a whole! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Don't know what more I can add Andy. I am impressed. I am hoping when I redo all my rigging I can get it to look half as nice!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Andy,

Your rigging is looking very neat and precise.  I'm in awe of your eye for detail.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Popeye, neither can I..... But I'm going to have to wait like the rest of you :P

Robbyn, it's all in understanding what each piece of rigging is trying to achieve, and then trying to emulate it. Know your knots and splices, or at least how to fake them (more important for splices at this scale).

For example, I made the seizings above the deadeyes by simply tying a clove hitch and turning it in. I subsequently added just one more half hitch to give the seizing some depth. Nothing really fancy, and maybe not correct if you ask the militant purists.... But I'll leave that for posterity to judge ;)

Mark, you guys and gals are all good for the ego, but I won't let it get to my head. Honestly all these positive remarks are very flattering, and I hope I continue to measure up.

This past month has been a real adventure, from the masting, to the start of the standing rigging. I'm always amazed looking back, how much I've accomplished. I just wish I could work on her all the time.... But I'm not made of money and I have to work for a few more years yet.

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, I think she's coming together just beautifully.  You see her everyday (when you're home) and the progress seems to just inch along.  But we here see the results less often and the progress is ----- spectacular.  Trust me.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I have to agree Andy, compared to some of us, your progress is just flying along. Looking great too!

Andy - I think everyone else has already said it - WOW!!!!

All those years working the Lakes are paying off!  I can only imagine how you keep the lines on the 1:1 models you work on....

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus