Hello, as i am now planning way ahead for the Winnie build, i started to think about what size the longboats would be

Would Chuck's Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat work for her or is ith too big ?

I figured to do some small project while i wait for my new Workshop and my thoughts started to drift in the direction of longboat/cutter etc

Alternatively CAF has a 168mm Longboat and a 130mm Cutter plus a 2-masted 238mm 'Boat'

Chucks Longboat is around 300mm if i see it right (dunno tho if the measurment is with bowsprit or without)

Any tips here ?

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

Dont get ahead of yourself.  I will be making the ships boats too.  But prob a pinnace.  It looks better.  But thats down the road.  They will be stored on spare topmasts in the waist.  

The pinnace or barge for the winnie will be a project unto itself.   A true mini kit.   It will be fairly large with plenty of detail.  It will be stored on spare topmasts in the waist like this contemporary model.    Only one boat as I dont want them to completely take attention away from the other parts of the model.   With more boats your eye tends to focus and stay right there.....

Having one super detailed barge will really add to the model.   It will be around 8" long give or take.  The plan and draft for this complex mini-kit is already underway!!!!

l5274.jpg

large.jpg&key=f25bc38a631e888b324a3d6f50

Chuck, just curious about your source for some of the fine images of contemporary models.  Are they publicly available, or is it private stuff you have access to?

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

A little bit of both......these I believe I found right here on MSW from some older topics and our gallery.   You would be surprised what you can find right here.

I am not even sure this thing as designed can be built.  It is only 8" long.  But I basically drafted it exactly like my barge kit.  The only difference difference is it will be carvel planked.   But I drafted it with frames to be built in a jig just like the barge kit which is 19" long.  I must be nuts trying to build it with floors and futtucks.  I may change that but I am curious if it can be done.  What do you think????  Too ambitious.  It will certainly be a detailed almost stand alone kit.  

winniebarge.jpg

hullfaired.jpg

I'm in on trying it! 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

• 6 months later...

just a mi kit for sure....the way the parts will be designed would make it very tough to build from scratch.  There are other ways to scratch this type of boat if one doesnt want to buy the mini kit....which wont be too mini actually.

On 5/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, Chuck said:

I am not even sure this thing as designed can be built.  It is only 8" long.  But I basically drafted it exactly like my barge kit.  The only difference difference is it will be carvel planked.   But I drafted it with frames to be built in a jig just like the barge kit which is 19" long.  I must be nuts trying to build it with floors and futtucks.  I may change that but I am curious if it can be done.  What do you think????  Too ambitious.  It will certainly be a detailed almost stand alone kit.  

Good morning Chuck,

I found in W.E.May "The boats of the Men of War"  that there were two different options for a fith rate with 32 guns:

1761: 3 boats - 23ft longboat, 30ft pinnace and a 24ft yawl

1781: 5 boats - 23ft/ 24 ft launch, 30ft pinnace, 2x 18ft cutters

I think it should be nice to show all boats with the ship.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 1 month later...
On 29/12/2020 at 4:05, AnobiumPunctatum said:

Buenos días Chuck,

Encontré en WEMay "Los barcos de los hombres de guerra" que había dos opciones diferentes para una quinta tasa con 32 cañones:

1761: 3 botes: bote de 23 pies, pinaza de 30 pies y yawl de 24 pies

1781: 5 botes - lanzamiento de 23 pies / 24 pies, pinaza de 30 pies, 2 cortadores de 18 pies

Creo que debería ser bueno mostrar todos los barcos con el barco.

Yes!!!

-HMS Tritón 1/48 1773 en scracht (TERMINADO)

-HMS Winchelsea 1/35  1764 full scracht (EN PROYECTO)

notpirate.png