Hello, as i am now planning way ahead for the Winnie build, i started to think about what size the longboats would be

Would Chuck's Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat work for her or is ith too big ?

I figured to do some small project while i wait for my new Workshop and my thoughts started to drift in the direction of longboat/cutter etc

Alternatively CAF has a 168mm Longboat and a 130mm Cutter plus a 2-masted 238mm 'Boat'

Chucks Longboat is around 300mm if i see it right (dunno tho if the measurment is with bowsprit or without)

Any tips here ?

Dont get ahead of yourself.  I will be making the ships boats too.  But prob a pinnace.  It looks better.  But thats down the road.  They will be stored on spare topmasts in the waist.  

Chuck, that was mostly meant as an excuse to build your Longboat, if i can find the set in Europe somewhere...

The pinnace or barge for the winnie will be a project unto itself.   A true mini kit.   It will be fairly large with plenty of detail.  It will be stored on spare topmasts in the waist like this contemporary model.    Only one boat as I dont want them to completely take attention away from the other parts of the model.   With more boats your eye tends to focus and stay right there.....

Having one super detailed barge will really add to the model.   It will be around 8" long give or take.  The plan and draft for this complex mini-kit is already underway!!!!

l5274.jpg

large.jpg&key=f25bc38a631e888b324a3d6f50

Chuck, just curious about your source for some of the fine images of contemporary models.  Are they publicly available, or is it private stuff you have access to?

A little bit of both......these I believe I found right here on MSW from some older topics and our gallery.   You would be surprised what you can find right here.

I am not even sure this thing as designed can be built.  It is only 8" long.  But I basically drafted it exactly like my barge kit.  The only difference difference is it will be carvel planked.   But I drafted it with frames to be built in a jig just like the barge kit which is 19" long.  I must be nuts trying to build it with floors and futtucks.  I may change that but I am curious if it can be done.  What do you think????  Too ambitious.  It will certainly be a detailed almost stand alone kit.  

winniebarge.jpg

hullfaired.jpg

Go fo it Chuck, you mentioned this some time ago and its very much anticipated by me.👍