Nieuport Ni-17 by cog - eduard - 1/72 - Plastic and PE

Right another small build for the intrested ones. This is one of Edurad's Dual COmbo, which means you get two planes at lower cost. It was, when I bought the kit, the only available version in 1/72

Box "art"

1982022455_DSCN0701copy.thumb.jpg.9dd281a03e3474ad96674c2fb2f5414e.jpg1374195559_DSCN0705copy.thumb.jpg.79978ff32735e1f59020037e230b0850.jpg945872130_DSCN0704copy.thumb.jpg.ec1cf5487934f35df04a46845b007164.jpg877121672_DSCN0702copy.thumb.jpg.f8f50c16f08534ae741b300f4f082810.jpg

The RLM colours are incorrect, but I wasn't prepared to buy yet more a.o. green paint. These came pretty close, so I worked with what I got

It is a reasonable simple kit. Quite quick to build if you're not me. Had some set backs, amongst others, the AK Extreme Metal I used on the body (aluminium) looks smashing, but needs to cure before masking. The green and brownish colours are Mr Paint acrylic lacquer. Works fantastic in an airbrush.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Cockpit. Yes it has very fine details. Even got some PE thrown in to amuse the builder, or try his vocabulary ... once you get the hang of PE, the size doesn't really matter, how to keep it stick is another point. SOmetimes it is easier to have it glued to your tweesers than the model(!

)703767522_IMG_3116copy.thumb.jpg.bb9e66d09b87a2491fc01a55230dc5db.jpg493184563_IMG_3127copy.thumb.jpg.8f938608255dd57a4ef806225f5c285e.jpg1353482657_IMG_3123copy.thumb.jpg.b723b7392c7f5d4d84d897bc34da0c99.jpg

didn't even forget the safty belts

Carl

Wow........ A whole build in three posts! That may be a record Carl.

Nice looking job, but be careful, last time I looked there are a bunch of Fokker DRIs out there somewhere!:o 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Great work Carl,   do love these Eduard kits   hope they continue to make more  aircraft available  in the future.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks OC,

There are already quite some discontinued kits unfortunately. For some there are only overtrees (only sprues, no PE, and/or decals) left, which is fine when you build a jasta like I did, but not if you want to build a specific version where you need decals which are hard to "hand" paint. However, they still seem to be extending their choice, recently they added a Fokker D IIV, a MIG, accessories like sidewinders. They do have a nice selection. (I am in no way affiliated or receive commision from Eduard in whatever way)

Carl

I can see where something that small would be a real vocabulary builder and not in a normally socially acceptable way.    Well done, Carl. It should make the DR1 pilots a bit nervous. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice builds. I’ve always considered the Nieuport 17 as the most beautiful French single-seat fighter of the great War.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

thanks hook, welcome to the build log. There will be one to follow, with some more work detail. I hope to get me camera over my desk and film my fiddly work on this 1/72

Carl

very nice looking plane Carl....are you planning to build squadrons?  well done! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Welcome Javlin, glad to have been of service.

Denis, it seems I am ... it would be a waste not to build the second one, since it is in the box ... :) challenges, challenges ... I know your predicaments from close up now ... ;)

Carl

they can be addictive............those two packs make it hard to resist :ph34r:  it is futile ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice job!  What did you think of the fit of the kit?  I like the WWI era subjects a lot, and have heard that Roden can be tricky.  My guess is that Eduard does a better job. 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks for the likes and comments gents

Mike, I have a roden kit which I used for spare parts as it really was deformed and had some parts not really fully formed. However, I do like the Eduard and Revell kits. The Eduard is just slightly bigger than the Revell, oodly enough, so I will have to take my measuring apparatus and find out which size is closer to the scale. The advantage of Eduard over Revell has to do with the PE you can get with some kits, or can order for certain kits. However, the PE for 1/72 is mostly restricted to the cockpit, and I find it rather expensive compared to what you get. Eduard has some BRASSIN additions for planes which are very nice, not very cheap, but you can improve your kit a lot.

Carl

you had a Roden kit that wasn't up to par too?  guess I'm noit the only one ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

15 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

guess I'm noit the only one

We all have our crosses to bear my friend, wheather they be wood or plastic

meand'ring groove

evidence

of life's burden

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

So much for the first out of the dual combo box.

Nieuport Ni-17 build 2

Since I am waiting for a few parts and decals for the Messschmitt Bf 109G-6 Swiss scheme, I took the box for the Nieuport of the shelve. Since it is a duocombi you get a second plane to build. Eduard has some nice kirs like it.

Some interior desig ...

256620365_IMG_3256copy.thumb.jpg.f67a1bd19562c5f42b4494e39747f152.jpg

Not a lot of PE, but what's there for small pieces is hard enough to work with

and after that getting the paint on the fuselage, and wings. I will build this one in the colours of the Escadrille N.57 as it was in December 1917

1525231374_DSCN0710copy.thumb.jpg.beafd33ea5a34b9adebe8cbe16609f11.jpg628280958_DSCN0711copy.thumb.jpg.63478980ad1913a13deb6e459b3ed52a.jpg1252608394_DSCN0713copy.thumb.jpg.c1ffd16ae11f1351feaf42034a4a4f48.jpg

The plane will be painted all aluminum. I will use AK Xtreme Metal paints. Giving it the Black base colour ...

1575157652_DSCN0718copy.thumb.jpg.8a277169e8fa7d03ac805cb141df5285.jpg

Aluminum cover

1028719498_DSCN0723copy.thumb.jpg.02e4360e819ff802d2123e642f3a716c.jpg1689536309_DSCN0724copy.thumb.jpg.f708dd45967ab735220e2af0c30f2802.jpg

I like the way you can just poor the paint in your airbrush and paint straight away. I have used Vallejo metal paints but those didn't give  the same metal look as these AK paints do. The Vallejo metal paints look rather artificial, eventhough they are quite nice to use especially with a brush

Paint:             AK Black Base & Light Aluminum

Airbrush:       Bulson double action 0.2mm nozzle

Airpressure: 18 PSI

Carl

You're a brave man to work with 1/72 PE cockpit details, although I must say they do add some nice parts. Hope they're visible after you closed up the fuselage, too.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I've heard that from other folks, too. :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

some of it is noticeable.......but inter fuselage detail can still be elusive  ;)   I've seen those combo packs........so it is true that there are two kits in it.  ....more bang for your buck........I'll have to look into it  :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: