For ship building, does it matter whether one goes with the 5000 series or the 2000 series?  It seems like the 5000 should do quite nicely, but figured I'd check with the experts here.

Also, does it matter whether you go with the English or the metric model?  I don't intend - at least right now :) -  to need the digital read out or the CNC capability (even though both look pretty darn cool).

Not sure I will ever need the full capabilities of the mill, but I tend to try to buy better quality machines and go from there.  I bought the drill press for my dremel which in my opinion is not that great, so I figure going to a mill would help.

Thanks!

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I should also ask - I have the Proxxon 250DB mini-wood lathe.  Besides working metal, what would I gain from moving up a step to the Sherline lathe?  Thanks again!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike,

I got the 2010 4 axes cnc mill and the 2 axes lathe. I went with metric, as for which metric or English, you have to make sure you tell the CNC software which it is. Now as far as the proxxon mini-wood lathe, that is what it is a wood lathe. You won't be able to turn metal.

post-163-0-56822900-1370277228_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-83939000-1370277228_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-08000700-1370277229_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-29894300-1370277229_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-49760100-1370277229_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-73062200-1370277229_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-99908300-1370277229_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-22982000-1370277230_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-49031800-1370277230_thumb.jpg

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hi Mike,

I recently got the 5400 with the "A" package. I added a lot of extras like the tilt angle table, rotary table, right angle attachment with tailstock and the sensitive drill attachment. All in it was about $1950 with shipping from CA to NJ. When you are looking at the cost make sure you factor in any goodies you'll want as they can add a lot to the price but they also add all sort of extra functionality.

When I first got it I took baby steps but quickly got into more complicated (and precise) setups. For my use CNC was above and beyond what I could justify. Get the book on table top machining with your mill; what you can do with the mill is limited only by your imagination. For example, using Chuck's jig you can make some incredibly small but perfectly formed blocks and crank them out by the hundred.

Oh yeah, I LOVE IT!

Jim L

What we ever hope to do with ease, we must learn first to do with diligence. - Samuel Johnson

On the Building Ways:                           Launched:                                                 Contracts Signed:                    Member:

The Nautical Research Guild

The US Naval Institute

I have but the simple sherline mill and lathe. I think that it's a great starting point. To have all of the extra cnc etc is great but what are you going to do with it? If you are going to be making a lot of the same gun parts over and over then a cnc setup is great. Making several cannons can be done with a simple setup.

Sherline is one of the best out there for sure.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks guys!  I ended up getting a lightly used Sherline 5000 off of eBay today for a pretty low amount.  Looking at videos and seeing what people are doing with it on here, even if I stink at it, I know that for sure I'll have a lot of fun playing with it.

Jim, thanks for the tip on the book.  I'll have to find myself a copy :)

Mike

Mike,

Take look a these two links... http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/getting_started.php?Chapter=GS_MiniMill_01.htm&d=0|2|13

and http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/MiniMillUsersGuide.pdf

And there's also:  http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/Main/mini-mill.htm

Both sites have a lot of information that, while it doesn't apply specifically the Sherline, is very helpful in getting started.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the links Mark - those are really great!

Mike

I've had pretty good success doing that - there are a lot of tools out there that are used a couple of times and then are sold for less than half the price of retail.

I don't know if you have the equivalent of a Craigslist in Australia, but I was able to get a Dewalt scroll saw, used once by the original owner to try it out, for a third of the retail price.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any second hand Byrnes tools on eBay or elsewhere - probably a very good testament to their quality and utility. :)

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

As far as second hand Byrnes tools go I recently sold a saw, thickness sander and disc sander for the widow of a good friend of mine..  Ray lived local and was a scratch ship modeler so he spent quite a bit of time at the shop especially when I was working on something new.  He wound up with the 3rd saw off the one man assembly line and both sanders were also in the single digits.  Just so happens there was another fellow in the shop when I brought them in and he took all 3 machines before I got them up on the bench.  On occasion I am asked to find old machines a new home for one reason or another so I thought I would start a list of potential customers.  If one comes available I would email the first person on the list and let them know.  I would only be putting you in touch with the seller.  It would be up to you to make the deal and arrange the shipping.  If anyone is interested email me off list at jdm@cfl.rr.com and I'll put you on the list.  Please put Used machines in the header.  Thanks

Jim Byrnes

Model Machines.    

That's a very kind gesture Jim, and another example of your excellent customer service. It won't be long before I'll be coming back to you to expand my "Byrnes Collection".

oh no -  everything i want - but at present - cannot convince anyone that i should have it - and the P&P from the states does not help

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Kevin,

The P&P hurts, but trust me - its worth it!!! (Especially for the Byrnes machines). Postage from the US to Downunda adds about 50% to the price. I'd rather not have to pay it, but pay it I will for machines of this quality.

Convinced yet? :D

Kevin,

They are worth every penny, I just snuck them in under the radar when the Admiral had one of her major shopping expeditions. And as for being sold on when I depart this world, I expect them to be buried with me (pharaoh style) for use in the next life. :wacko:

Martin.

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Thanks for all the feedback on the Sherline mill.  My Sherline mill from eBay came in yesterday.  I gave up trying to explain to my wife and in-laws last night what it can do  :blink:   All I can say is wow, those things are built like tanks - it's a very solid piece of equipment, and definitely a lot more precise than my Dremel work station  :rolleyes:   Now I just have to get some resources to figure out how to use it.

Are there any particular accessories that are very handy to buy for it?  I think what I have is the basic set up, so besides various cutting implements, I wasnt sure what else would be good to have like the rotating table, bigger vices, etc.  

Mike

Two books come to mind that should help you.  Tabletop Machining by Joe Martin and The Home Machinist's Handbook

David B

post-227-0-43749800-1370992689_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgbot

Mike,

The list can go on and on. You will need the collets, adapters for end mill bits, vise and Tilting Angle Table. The two books will be a big help, the first one will tell you what different add ons can do and what they are use for. Go over that book page by page and then figure out what you need to get started and go from there, buy what your going to need as you go, unless you have the money and the BOSS isn't going to say anything LOL. Good luck with your Mill and Lathe.

Wacko

Thanks very much everyone.  I'll start with the books and take it from there.  It's always good to stay on the Admiral's good side, unless I can figure out a way to sneak them in (hey, that new machine and all its fancy gizmos have been here for a while, you must not have noticed them).   :ph34r:

Mike

i have just ordered a sherline lathe & mill plus other bits and pieces, very expensive over here in U-K hope they are worth the money

i already have accses to oriental lath & mill but they are a bit to large .i am building Arty Latina Red Dragon its supposed to be scale

but i wonder if the Chinease ever built a boat constructed like this, however i am using it for practise and i have added extra details

janet bode

Congratulations Janet, you will love these machines - they are a joy to use. They are expensive here in Australia too, but worth every cent/penny in my opinion. Take some time to "play" with them as you get to know them.

janet,

You will not be unhappy with the machines. Here in the US the shipping isn't that bad. Once you learn the basic of the machines you will always be looking for ways to do something, and it will go on and on. You will see in time that you will start making your own tool instead of buying them. Get the books for them, the one Table top is very good, if you get it read it from the beginning, he tells you what all the tools are for and what can be done with them. Have fun.

Wacko

I should also ask - I have the Proxxon 250DB mini-wood lathe.  Besides working metal, what would I gain from moving up a step to the Sherline lathe?  Thanks again!

Just to ask this again, besides purely being able to work metal in addition to wood, is there any benefit to upgrading from the Proxxon 250DB mini lathe to a Sherline or other lathe?  Thanks everyone for all the responses :D

Mike