HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Nunnehi (Don) - FINISHED - 1:48

Lovely work Don! Glad to see you back and almost at the finish line. Those headrails and grating look very good.

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

Nice work, it looks great.  Congratulations on the grandkids, they are truly our greatest reward.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

14 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

Because of some early fairing errors, the port and starboard bow shape is not symmetrical, which has really complicated everything. I’ve tried to compensate, but getting the shapes right is probably the most difficult modeling challenge I’ve ever experienced.

She looking great, Don, and you're the only one who will notice a slight lack of symmetry. Everyone else that sees her will simply be gobsmacked that you could build such an impressive model.

Fairing the hull is, at least for me, one of the most challenging steps in model ship building and I've yet to do it well no matter how slowly I go while eyeing it from different angles and constantly checking with a batten. I admire those folks who complete this task with confidence and accuracy. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very well done Don. That is a fine looking model and congratulations on the twin grandchildren!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

JJ, Fred, Chuck, Glenn, Bob, and Rusty, thanks much for the kind words, I really appreciate it! Fred, yes, I’m happy with it and have learned tons about how to do this. Thanks also for the Grandchildren comments, I’ll be 73 in a couple of weeks and these are my first - unfortunately they are on the other side of the country from us here in Alabama. Chuck, my next project is Cheerful and have already gotten a bit of a start - am really being careful with the fairing so I don’t have the problems I’m having now. Also, please put me on your Speedwell list. 

Thanks again, guys

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on reaching the finish line. A great sense of accomplishment no doubt.  Well done!

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

11 hours ago, Nunnehi (Don) said:

using your Cheerful as my primary reference

Thanks, I’m glad it’s helpful. 

Regards,

Glenn

Excellent work Don! Your Winchelsea has turned out just wonderful! Congratulations! Do you plan to build a nice display? I will look forward to following your cheerful progress!

JJ

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

Thanks, JJ, I appreciate it! I’ve been following your build and it’s really the next level, your joinery is so precise, something I haven’t quite mastered yet. Yes, am looking for a case and mounting hardware - suggestions welcome.

My son, his wife,  and my two new grand babies live in Portland and we’ll be there in a couple of weeks. We’re considering moving out there to be close, and Bend is one of the places we’ve been looking at. 

Thanks again,

Don

On 7/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, Nunnehi (Don) said:

Thanks, JJ, I appreciate it! I’ve been following your build and it’s really the next level, your joinery is so precise, something I haven’t quite mastered yet. Yes, am looking for a case and mounting hardware - suggestions welcome.

My son, his wife,  and my two new grand babies live in Portland and we’ll be there in a couple of weeks. We’re considering moving out there to be close, and Bend is one of the places we’ve been looking at. 

Thanks again,

Don

Thank you Don. I think you’ll like it out there. Bend is growing into a destination spot but still has a small town feel and great weather year round.

Congratulations Don. That is one beautifully done Winnie!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

What a great accomplishment to finish this challenging model, Don. She's a beautiful! Congratulations!  

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Unfortunately, my Flirt and my Pen Duick have been lying idle for a very long time. I'm not sure when I'll get back to working on either of them again but they are both beautiful models and deserve to be completed.

It looks like you have started the Cheerful. I'm looking forward to following along as you build her. Good luck! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...