HIJMS MIKASA 1902 by Jeff59 - HobbyBoss - 1/200 - PLASTIC

Just starting to paint out the next pinnace, difference with this one shall be funnel up and a three pounder gun mounted, think I’ll be able to finish the rigging mast stays and a few other bits. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on making oars for the open boats, the etch ones supplied by Pontos don’t cut it for me. ?

image.jpg

Want to bundle about five oars each side to complement the details on the boats, maybe even a mast lying up the middle since they were also sailing boats, seen a few photos confirming this 👍 Have to try and contact Micro Master and see if possible to get some boats made that they don’t have in their selection. The small twenty five foot boats and the thirty six-seven foot open pinnace, I’ll try anyway. I recon using the actual kit boats must have been very tight on the room to install, especially with the pinnace being so oversized. Try and put a photo on showing kit boats beside the Micro Master boats to show how tight everything is, the Micro Master boat two the front is a twenty seven footer, recon I need a twenty five footer. Did buy a open motor launch hopping I could make a open steam pinnace from it, length was fine but just two fat in beam to work, beautiful boat though, try and take a photo of this as well, cannot believe when I cut the spruces away how delicate the propeller is. Unbelievable.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for the kind remarks, nice coming from someone who has built this model to a standard that was inspirational, you never said it was as hard as I found it to be, well certainly has had some hairy moments. 🤪 looking at all the (completed) models to your name and thinking my next build log shall have one 😂 Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now me thinks, must be the etch sheets are almost empty. 😂👍

• 3 months later...

Apologies for the long absence, afraid it’s the summer months and modelling seems to fall by the wayside. I definitely have not given up on her, I shall try to do a post shortly to show the little progress that has been made. I shall be retiring soon so shall have more time to do my chores 🙄

Hi guys, hope everyone is in good health and still enjoying modelling. Myself I haven’t found much spare time for it unfortunately, to many chores happening just now, only managing a small amount whilst on holiday. On the last question on making oars for small boats, a member in my local modelling club suggested using fuse wire and squeezing the ends with flat nose pliers, fuse wire just a little to hard so tried Soft Solder, think it was 0.2, bought it at modelling show, worked well, just a bit hairy straightening the wire and keeping it straight but with care possible.👍 then paint them with a small brush, glue in place with a tiny spot of super glue, time consuming but it turned out okay in the end. Try and post some photos of this, bear with me while I try to remember how to do this again. 👀b

IMG_0050.jpeg

P Hi guys, hope everyone is in good health and still enjoying modelling. Myself I haven’t found much spare time for it unfortunately, to many chores happening just now, only managing a small amount whilst on holiday. On the last question on making oars for small boats, a member in my local modelling club suggested using fuse wire and squeezing the ends with flat nose pliers, fuse wire just a little to hard so tried Soft Solder, think it was 0.2, bought it at modelling show, worked well, just a bit hairy straightening the wire and keeping it straight but with care possible.👍 then paint them with a small brush, glue in place with a tiny spot of super glue, time consuming but it turned out okay in the end. Try and post some photos of this, bear with me while I try to remember how to do this again. 👀b

First obvious part is the bulkhead separating the wheelhouse from the navigation room. Wheelhouse needs compass, wheel and three telegraphs and two voice pipes from the roof 🙄 the navigation room has two main desktops, signal storage bin high up on bulkhead and two filling docket’s and a mahogany floor. Half of you would say a waste of time and half of you would be right 😂 Shall try post tomorrow getting an earful, it’s too late. 🙄

Nothing available for any of this so it was down to trial and error, bulkhead easy enough, just cut a piece of styrene stock and paint white. Compass, actually a third one in the kit, just paint, telegraphs bit more faffing about just trying brass wire and extra etch from Pontos set, ships wheel was from a selection from North Star, glued two together to give it some body and painted mahogany colour, trying to use actual brass for detailing rather than painting it brass, same idea as the nameplate on the stern from ages ago. 👍 then glued this onto more brass wire, the voice pipes in the roof, just copper wire with a little kick, glued into same point as on deck above. Wheelhouse sorted. Navigation and signals room, basically just used styrene stock and pieces of suitable size etch to make furniture, best stab with dividers trying to scale things from photos.  Painting was just another guess, but end result looked all right, was on holiday with family when I found time for all of this, hence I even braved trying to paint the mahogany around the window frames, was actually surprised at the end result, no pain no gain as they say, even used one of my Labrador’s dog hairs, which are not in short supply , to make a bit, that’s his DNA into the model for ever 😂 painting same as before, paint furniture mahogany and drawer handles brass. Finally stained the floor with Teak stainer.  Try and sort some photos in some sort of order. 🤛

IMG_0059.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0062.jpeg

IMG_0061.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0069.jpeg

Well that’s all, up to speed with progress. Can’t see me getting much time for this just now, to many things going on just now, but definitely looking forward to progressing. Thanks for the comments guys, great to see someone’s still interested considering the time lapse. You all take care, and promise I shall return as soon as poss. 👊