Sovereign of the Seas by Denis R - FINISHED - Mantua - 1:78 scale

Hi All

Foremast is now glued to the deck + yards and sails..

Started the rigging , only 20% done,

Before any one gets at me, this is the first time I have attempted such a complicated job.

It will look better when finished !!!.......

Just like to thank Vince P for his help .

Denis.

post-303-0-77149700-1385623075_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-62708700-1385623094_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-93041500-1385623109_thumb.jpg

I think you did a super job Denis........there really isn't any rule as to how the masting is done.....:)     the only problem I see here,  is it's going to be a feat to do the shrouds.   but I'm sure you have a plan for this,  and I'm intrigued.......the masting looks great!  the sails came out really REALLY good.  you have most of your lines marked,  so you don't seen lost or anything.   as I always say......every modeler has a method for their madness!  I'd say you fit right in with the rest of us! :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Admiral Popeye ( congratulations on that ).

I am doing the shrouds on the port side now, the only thing is when you lace the dead eyes up with the shroud lines one goes right in front of the cannon, if you moved the channel board then 2 more will go in front of the cannons. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I am sure no one built this kit at mantua.

Denis.

I've heard of this happening........Sjors had a heck of a time with this.   I even had a bit of a problem with the upper shrouds on the gothenborg,  but that was due to the wrong size dead eyes.   it boils down to bad dead eye hole positions.   as I have learned..... sometimes a bit too late as well........dry fitting is important.   not that I don't dry fit my parts,  but it's easy to feel safe in cementing parts on when you see the pre drilled holes.    the only thing I can suggest,  is if you want to correct this,  you may have to re-drill some of the holes,  or scratch produce new chain plates,  drilling the hole yourself.    perhaps other folks may have an idea for you that is less intrusive,  but it's all I got.    I'll have to look,  but I think Sjor's Mirage is from Mantua.

thanks for the congrats :)       any updated pictures of your build?   love to see your progress ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I've heard of this happening........Sjors had a heck of a time with this.   I even had a bit of a problem with the upper shrouds on the gothenborg,  but that was due to the wrong size dead eyes.   it boils down to bad dead eye hole positions.   as I have learned..... sometimes a bit too late as well........dry fitting is important.   not that I don't dry fit my parts,  but it's easy to feel safe in cementing parts on when you see the pre drilled holes.    the only thing I can suggest,  is if you want to correct this,  you may have to re-drill some of the holes,  or scratch produce new chain plates,  drilling the hole yourself.    perhaps other folks may have an idea for you that is less intrusive,  but it's all I got.    I'll have to look,  but I think Sjor's Mirage is from Mantua.

thanks for the congrats :)       any updated pictures of your build?   love to see your progress ;)

I found this out the hard way with my SOS. I tried moving the chain wales every which way and still had some overlap of the gun ports. I did the best I could. Never thought about modifying the chain wales with moving the deadeye slots. Well I learned something new again, which is why this site is tops. :) I can assure you that my next build will take this into consideration.

Vince P.

Hi Popeye

No more photos yet ;) ;) ;).

Got to get into the wife's good books first ha ha .

I don't want a 16 size boot up my backside if you know what I mean.

Time for a beer :cheers:.

Denis

ohhhhh......right!   the  'hell hath no fury'    thing.  :D :D       mine has the  'Hairy Eye' .....similar to Medusa's stare......but it melts you instead of turns you to stone.  her mother had it......and she trained the admiral well.  I will wait to see dome update photos...love to see them..........I have to get on the ball here and make the correct ladders for the Goth.....I'm on my third set.   enough to drive a guy bonkers!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Well started to lace up the shroud lines to the dead eyes on the foremast + doing the ratlines ( looks like I am getting worse as I go along doing the ratlines and not better ) cannot think of a worse job to do.

May get better when I have done a million of them ( but don't think so some how ha ha  :angry::(:angry::(.

As I have furled the sails I have no instructions or books that gives you how to rig them up.

So with the help from Vince and one or two changes this is what I came up with :D :D.

May I wish all the staff and fellow model builders a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY MODEL BUILDING 2014.

Denis.

post-303-0-50024600-1396405126_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-32216400-1396405155_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-87715100-1396405171_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-92012300-1396405189_thumb.jpg

Edited by Denis Pink

Not to worry Denis.....your on the right track!   looks very nice......:)   Happy Holidays to you and yours as well !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

You know that parts of life you hate doing things,

Like cutting the lawn, pruning trees, painting the house and rooms, cleaning the toilet and shower, unblocking the drains but we have to do it ok.

One thing I hate getting dragged out to go shopping with the wife and after 6 hours coming back with nothing. :angry: :angry: :angry:.

Now I am going to add to my hate list DOING RATLINES , just cannot do them :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:.

Sooner go shopping with the wife :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:.

Denis.

Hi All

You know that parts of life you hate doing things,

Like cutting the lawn, pruning trees, painting the house and rooms, cleaning the toilet and shower, unblocking the drains but we have to do it ok.

One thing I hate getting dragged out to go shopping with the wife and after 6 hours coming back with nothing. :angry: :angry: :angry:.

Now I am going to add to my hate list DOING RATLINES , just cannot do them :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:.

Sooner go shopping with the wife :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:.

Denis.

could be worse - although i dont know how  - hope you had a good Christmas Denis

wish I knew of a remedy...........only one I have is to make up a mock mast and shrouds......and practice ;)

hope you had a great Christmas.........and a happy new year!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye & Kevin

The top ratlines are OK but they was done when the mast was not on the ship.

Will just have to plod on ( or go shopping with the wife ) :angry: :angry:.

Denis.

Denis,

I've just discovered your brilliant log and have decided that this kit is going on my Wish List.

With regards doing your rat-lines, in the past I used two combs.

I'd hold the first comb flat (horizontal), tie a single rat-line in place with loose knots, then push it down into position with the second comb. The shrouds/stays will fit between the tines of the combs.

Tighten the knots with tweezers.

Hope you find this helpful.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi CaptainSteve.

First welcome to my log .

Thank you for the info. will give it a go when I get to the mainmast shrouds, as I have only one more ratline to do on the foremast then finish the rigging from foremast to bowsprit area.

Thank you for looking in.

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Denis.

Hi Gary

Thank you for your input re ratlines it is very much appreciated.

I am trying to do my best, but the ratlines are just way past me, but will keep trying ( one day I will get the hang of it ).

Happy New Year to you and your family , happy model building in 2014.

Again thank you.

Denis.

Denis,

To solve the shopping problem, ask the Admiral to go with you to the hardware store(s) to look at power tools.  She'll get the picture very quickly.

Brian,

I wish you had a build log of  her.  Looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Have done some more rigging.

I am a lot happier doing this than the ratlines ha ha.

I have not tensioned some of the ropes up yet, will do that tonight.

Denis.

post-303-0-56070100-1389239301_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-46879700-1389239319_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-50447000-1389239335_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-53583400-1389239350_thumb.jpg

now that is INSANELY good Den!   holy cow!!!!!    your method is serving you well :)   great work my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

I truly think this one should feature prominently in the next MSW calendar.

Other than that, I'm speechless !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy