Table Saws Once Again

Hi everyone :)

I know this topic has been beaten to death... almost. I'm the proud owner of a Aliexpress DC table saw with a 895 12-24V motor. Needless to say, this thing is a PITA!

It's time to replace it. Ultimately I want a Jim Saw. Being Canadian, our dollar, shipping, probable duties etc. sadly make this out of reach. Next in line is the Proxxon FET which comes in, here in Canuck land about 300CDN less. My question is, has anyone ever had any experience with the Hyuda brand? I've only seen them for sale by an Australian company here Ausee Machines and Tools . The machine looks like a Proxxon rip with a few improvements but the price is too good to be passed over. Even with shipping it's less than the Proxxon. If any of our Australian friends have seen one, what do you think? Any other machines worth looking at? 

Ron

Edited by Ron Burns
Bad spelling

Current Build- HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48

I'm happy with the Proxxon FET,  that Hyuda looks like it would be worth a try..  Better than doing without if you can't  spring for Byrnes at this point.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

I'm happy with the Proxxon FET,  that Hyuda looks like it would be worth a try..  Better than doing without if you can't  spring for Byrnes at this point.

I'm almost leaning that way as they have spare parts available like motor, fence, speed controller etc. Don't know if that is a courtesy or a warning :)

1 hour ago, druxey said:

I'm surprised that you can't source a Proxxon in Canada. Try:

I have no problem finding a Proxxon here at all. Before I spend my money on something I'm a bit iffy on, I just want to cover a few more bases. I've read that some folks aren't that happy with the FET and say the older model is better than the newer. I really am curious about the Hyuda. Thanks for the links :)

Hello Ron,

The Hyuda spec includes a variable speed 200w motor. This sounds like a good thing but what it doesn't mention is the drive system. Proxxon ads always boast of their toothed drive and the  Hyuda doesn't mention any thing about this part of the saw. It might be a good idea to find out what drive the Hyuda offers, especially since it has a variable speed function.

The only grumble I ever heard directly from a Proxxon FET owner was that it didn't have enough power. When I saw what he was trying to do I understood the problem. The FET is not a miniature sawmill for oak and ebony, so don't overload it. I may get another FET one day strictly to get the tilting blade feature which the Byrnes does not have.

HTH

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

6 hours ago, bruce d said:

The Hyuda spec includes a variable speed 200w motor. This sounds like a good thing but what it doesn't mention is the drive system

Hi Bruce, 

Thank you for the response! I believe the drive is toothed, if what you refer to is the belt and pully driving the blade. Have a peek here - Spares

All the best

Ron

Edited by Ron Burns

The Hyuda, like the PROXXON, seems to use non-standard size blades. It needs blades with a 10 mm bore, while the standard would be 16 mm, if I am not mistaken. As always with machines, one needs to check the availability of the respective tools.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

4 minutes ago, wefalck said:

As always with machines, one needs to check the availability of the respective tools.

I commented in the other saw thread about the blade options for Proxxon.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Well,

I did it. I ordered the Model Machines saw. I figured the Hyuda was just a copy of a good saw and I would be replacing my junk with more stuff that I would be unsatisfied with early on or down the road. I don't think there is any comparison really to the horsepower (or fraction thereof) of the Jim Saw and the small DC motor and I really liked the idea of having someone right here on MSW that will, should it be needed, support his product. From what everyone has written, the Model Machines saw will be working still when my bones are dust. The other thing that threw me was that I was considering trying to build my own. Locally and as far away as Saudi Arabia I have been quoted 250.00 and upwards of 320.00 for just having the aluminum top milled! You can see the logic! I ended up ordering the micrometer stop, the extended rip fence, adjustable miter gauge extension, accessory pack and a 3 inch Martindale .03 slitting blade. Soon I will be able to use my existing saw as a anchor for my Winchelsea :) Any changes you guys can think of? I wish I could have grabbed the sliding table but I still haven't told my wife about the saw. I gotta be real nice in the coming days :) Before I forget, thank you for your input on this old subject. I truly appreciate it

Ron

Edited by Ron Burns

11 minutes ago, Ron Burns said:

I wish I could have grabbed the sliding table

In due time.   You'll be happy you went with the Byrnes even if the wife isn't!   The sliding table is excellent, and something I use very often.

🎼 Always look on the bright side of life 🎼

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

47 minutes ago, Ron Burns said:

I'm gonna get crucified!

See if you can get yours in Swiss pear or boxwood...    😜

Ron,

I’d order a couple of spare blades for two reasons:

1.  If you are working on a project and your blade gets dull or loaded up with resin, you can change blades, finish your work, and deal with the dull blade later.

2.  If you bought a saw with a 1/2in arbor, as time goes by blades may become harder to find.  Thurston used to be the go to US supplier but they no offer these blades.  Jim seems to sill have a source for quality blades that will fit a 1/2in arbor.

I’d also have him make me an adaptor to allow me to use blades with a common metric sized hole.

Roger

Congratulations on your purchase Ron, you will not be disappointed!

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"

On 3/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, Ron Burns said:

I really wish I could have ordered it but I had to get my small Syren order in as well. I'm gonna get crucified!

Call up Jim and have him add the cross-cut sled to your order. You know you want it. You will likely save considerably on shipping if it all goes out in one box. If She Who Must Be Obeyed objects, just tell her that you saved a bundle on shipping ordering the sled too. She'll see the logic of that right away. I'll bet she uses the same approach on you all the time if she's like most! :D 

I'd also suggest you spring for the taper jig. It doesn't cost much and is a thing of beauty to behold. It's handy for tapering, too.

Edited by Bob Cleek

On 3/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, Ron Burns said:

Hi everyone :)

I know this topic has been beaten to death... almost. I'm the proud owner of a Aliexpress DC table saw with a 895 12-24V motor. Needless to say, this thing is a PITA!

It's time to replace it. Ultimately I want a Jim Saw. Being Canadian, our dollar, shipping, probable duties etc. sadly make this out of reach. Next in line is the Proxxon FET which comes in, here in Canuck land about 300CDN less. My question is, has anyone ever had any experience with the Hyuda brand? I've only seen them for sale by an Australian company here Ausee Machines and Tools . The machine looks like a Proxxon rip with a few improvements but the price is too good to be passed over. Even with shipping it's less than the Proxxon. If any of our Australian friends have seen one, what do you think? Any other machines worth looking at? 

Ron

Hi Ron,

Be prepared to do lots of work to get any accuracy from this Piece......t. The cross slide is sloppy in the slot - make at least two slides, one for straight cuts, another for bevels, mitres. If you want accurate mitre cuts, the whole motor carriage and tilt mechanism needs to be modified. There is a plastic turn knob the purpose is to lock in the tilt mechanism, sounds ok on paper. Actually, it distorts the alignment of the blade, so at say a 45º setting, the back of the blade also tilts down, resulting in a burn at the back of the blade. That in turn is not a square cut now. Today's work for me, is to try to somehow eliminate this distortion. If I can't achieve that, it may be listed for sale soon. There is a dust removal outlet which is restricted so a fairly powerful vacuum attached to it dose very little. This is a cheap and nasty, irrespective of price and claims made for it on the seller's website.

2 hours ago, Expro said:

Be prepared to do lots of work to get any accuracy from this Piece......t.

Looks like I would have been trading fecal matter of one sort in for a whole pile of freshly stepped in fecal matter :) Thank you for the warning

and I'm so happy the company never responded to my last email! I did however buy a Byrnes Model Machines saw and will forever be done with 

Chinese made saws. Expro, I'm sorry you have to wade through so much of it. I hope you can sort it out. If you do, maybe you could post your adventures here?

Thanks again

Ron

Ron, you dodged a bullet......  "company never responded to my last email!"   Neglected to mention, zero customer assistance with product issues. A useless fence, which is distorted, making it not possible to use, was finally acknowledged as faulty by the seller, promised to send a replacement in November, still waiting...........

Had a small success with realigning the motor/blade carriage, not 100% accuracy, but much better. With most machinery now, an ongoing effort to improve performance, especially if accuracy is important, seems part of the deal. Anyone who has issues with this "precision saw", and might be assisted by my adventures with it, happy to share. I must admit, I have no answer to the statement,  "what did you expect for $ 400 ?"  :)

Gus

Ron,

I can only further confirm what you have already heard.  I have been building models for over 45 years and have purchased every table saw made trying to get perfection.  The only thing close to any of this was the Preac Saw and you were severely limited to size.  I certainly can't acknowledge any problems with the Proxxon Saw because I have seen so many people praising this, but I can say you will not find a better model saw than the Jim Saw and he will stand behind this to the end.  His customer service is beyond compare and his product is wonderful.  Congratulations on you purchase!!!

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit