IJN Yukikaze by DmitriyMarkov - Tamiya - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Hello everybody!

I've got an IJN mood - so I want to share some "progress" on a Yukikaze kit I've started nearly a decade ago. Base of the build is a very well known kit by Tamiya - a very high quality product I dare say. Add-on is a Lion Roar photo etch kit which also includes turned gun barrels and depth charges. Also there are couple Veteran sets - single- and triple-25mm auto cannons.

Most of sub-assemblies were built in 2011 🙂

Here we go:

DSC_0032.thumb.jpg.85e682431b9c34eb76b7c32f79fd9089.jpg

DSC_0031.thumb.jpg.c8be1bc225547def78883434ca9ca2f4.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

15 hours ago, Canute said:

Nice work with the PE.

Thank You very much - I try to do my best, however I'm no good at removing glue buildups )

1 hour ago, RGL said:

Welcome! 

Thanks, RGL - I find inspiration in your works!

1 hour ago, Mic.fr said:

Already 10 years, how many more... ? 😉

Well, my pace is quite hasteless :  good modelling projects are like wine - better when aged😉  Now I see things  my quality control  in 2011 considered as "passable" :  some seams here and there, some molding joints, etc. If I was less patient and finished this little model then - it would suffer form those imperfections. Also by 2011 I haven't read Tameichi Hara's  "Japanese Destroyer Commander" - which is motivating reading for a modeller I must admit 🙂

Best Regards and  happy modelling

3 hours ago, DmitriyMarkov said:

Thank You very much - I try to do my best, however I'm no good at removing glue buildups )

Thanks, RGL - I find inspiration in your works!

Well, my pace is quite hasteless :  good modelling projects are like wine - better when aged😉  Now I see things  my quality control  in 2011 considered as "passable" :  some seams here and there, some molding joints, etc. If I was less patient and finished this little model then - it would suffer form those imperfections. Also by 2011 I haven't read Tameichi Hara's  "Japanese Destroyer Commander" - which is motivating reading for a modeller I must admit 🙂

Best Regards and  happy modelling

Your build looks great so far!  And after looking up the book you mentioned by Hameichi Hara, I purchased said book, as it looks great. 

I've been "building" my Syren model since about 2008, so it's nice to see another modeler who is deliberate with his work. :D

Alan

Looks really great!  I have the same kit but with the Infini upgrade set.  I really like the PE in your sets around the bridge windows though - the PE really brings out the detail!  I just looked at the Infini set and it doesn't look like there is any PE that goes there. :( 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

38 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks really great!  I have the same kit but with the Infini upgrade set.  I really like the PE in your sets around the bridge windows though - the PE really brings out the detail!  I just looked at the Infini set and it doesn't look like there is any PE that goes there. :( 

Around the time I was buying the kit and extras there wasn't Infini  set on the market if I remember correctly. I wonder if Lion Roar is still around ? By 2010-2011 it was the best complex add-on (except some parts in their set were short of supply and 25mm are flat PE parts) I haven't made any significant additions to my 1/350 stash since maybe 2015-2016  and while looking through  bulids that are started  around recent couple of years I see lot of brands that are totally unknown to me: Infini,  Big Blue Boy to name some..   

Looking great!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 6:24 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking great!

On 4/4/2021 at 1:02 AM, cog said:

That is some very crisp work, real sharp!

Thank you very much, gentlemen! 

Meanwhile some portholes are finished ( actually those were all portholes that were left untouched until present moment):

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

As I've said earlier I came across shortage of some details in Lion Roar kit - so I had to improvise and punch some round-shaped elements on roofs of torpedo launchers  from self-adhesive aluminium foil. It turned out to be slightly bigger than needed  - but that was the smallest available diameter in our punch set:

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

16 hours ago, cog said:

Nice punch set. Good to see you add some extra details

Thanks! I just try to somehow reach what other colleagues do on these forums 🙂

Actually it's not quite a punch set -  these are my wife's tools  for rolling-in of gems in decorations 🙂  We share each other's hobby tools from time to time. I can hardly tell a manufacturer's name - in our country they usually can be aquired via jewellery-tools stores. I think the same is right for most of other countries as well. 

Best regards and happy modelling!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/12/2021 at 3:14 PM, DmitriyMarkov said:

As I've said earlier I came across shortage of some details in Lion Roar kit - so I had to improvise and punch some round-shaped elements on roofs of torpedo launchers  from self-adhesive aluminium foil. It turned out to be slightly bigger than needed  - but that was the smallest available diameter in our punch set:

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0077.jpg

If you never mentioned it Dmitri I wouldn't of known any better doing some Nice upgrades.I built this one a couple years ago but not as many upgrades still came out quite nice though.;)

On 6/14/2021 at 4:06 PM, Javlin said:

If you never mentioned it Dmitri I wouldn't of known any better doing some Nice upgrades.I built this one a couple years ago but not as many upgrades still came out quite nice though.;)

Thanks,  Javlin! 

I've got some progress since my last post here - just don't have enough time to take pictures.  Hope I'll be able to share this weekend.

Hello everyone!

Well, here's aforementioned progress:

First, I've assembled and painted  25mm autocannons - there's circa 16 of them on the ship. Each Veteran's 25mm consists of 2 resin and 2 PE parts. 

Next, I've equipped guns and torpedo launchers with handrails (tricky little devils they are ), then paint, clear layer and wash.

Hull was painted and given a layer of clear gloss.

I try to be honest - I show things I'm proud of and also things  I'm not quite proud of 🙂

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Excellent work  - so love the main guns with the weathering  - really nice work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

8 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Excellent work  - so love the main guns with the weathering  - really nice work.

OC.

Thank you very much! Handling of those turrets and torpedo launchers became fiddly due to handrails everywhere (they've drunk a lot of my blood those handrails). Weathering is just a simple wash - I tried to remove as much as I could and at one moment when surface was still wet from solvent it seemed ok, but when surface has dried this wash fragmented into "brown" fraction which conducts like a filter and "black" fraction which condensed into shadowy places of structures  and  for my taste there's still too much of them both  but I wouldn't dare to remove more 'cause solvent now can damage paint and laquer - their integrity is "balancing on a ledge" after wash and solvent. 

On 6/21/2021 at 1:20 PM, Dimitris. said:

Wow! I'm impressed not only from your quality of work, but also the quality of your pictures!

Well done!

Thank you! That's mainly due to Tokina macro - lens which allows to get very close to the object part without much post-editing and also due to shooting in an aperture priority regime with an aperture closed as possible ( I use a tripod and always a timer). 

P.S. I've noticed that there were some mistakes in this post so it can be misunderstood - I've made corrections and stressed them with red colour 🙂 I'm so sorry for my English...

Edited by DmitriyMarkov

• 4 months later...

Looking great!  When I finish my Shimakaze I might tackle this kit.  Looks like it goes together pretty nicely.

Mike