Scharnhorst 1940 by CDW - Flyhawk - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC

Hi Chap,

Is that similar to EZline?

(I recently got some of EZline from the States, (After a wait of a few months 🙂 ), makes me wonder if I have chosen the incorrect thickness. The thought is that I'd use eventually use on the 1/200 Trumpeter Bismarck. From memory, EZ line size is 0.1 and 0.2)

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Just now, hof00 said:

Hi Chap,

Is that similar to EZline?

(I recently got some of EZline from the States, (After a wait of a few months 🙂 ), makes me wonder if I have chosen the incorrect thickness. The thought is that I'd use eventually use on the 1/200 Trumpeter Bismarck. From memory, EZ line size is 0.1 and 0.2)

Cheers....HOF.

It's the same thing, just a different label. Primary differences are color and diameter.

These tiny pieces help comprise the finished Arado 196 seaplane. Not pictured with the pieces are the photo etched canopy, antennae, pontoon supports, and rear cockpit machine gun. The number 11 XActo blade is used in the photo as a size reference.

I need another few pair of very good tweezers if I continue to build small scale stuff like this. It's just too small to handle without the proper tools.

IMG_2162.thumb.jpg.eeaf14f4cd8320166e37cbfb8a212440.jpgIMG_2163.thumb.jpg.dd65b8fe545b4dd04bdd6dea6392ef5d.jpgIMG_2165.thumb.jpg.021bd1f8ed8513d14c3178158a98627e.jpg

Edited by CDW

On 5/29/2021 at 3:41 PM, CDW said:

Might also mention that it's helpful to cut the long sections of photo etch railing into shorter lengths for better control and ease of installation. The long sections often just don't work well because of the lateral and vertical twists and turns of a deck. I cut mine right adjacent to a vertical post then give an ever so slight overlap when gluing them in place. It's almost impossible to detect they have been cut after assembly, but it sure does make the job of installing them so much better.

Thank you for the tip about working the railings as short sections. That has made it a lot easier for me for both long side decks and complex shapes. It also makes it easier to use Gators Grip glue instead of CA . I need to get tidier but now it's a lot more feasible. Many Thanks

Alan

Just now, king derelict said:

Thank you for the tip about working the railings as short sections. That has made it a lot easier for me for both long side decks and complex shapes. It also makes it easier to use Gators Grip glue instead of CA . I need to get tidier but now it's a lot more feasible. Many Thanks

Alan

Great! Glad it helped you out, Alan.

For the next tip, once you have glued your railing down with Gator's Grip and the glue has become tacky, use a paint brush dampened with water to remove any excess acrylic glue. Clean the brush often and re-wet it as necessary. It will leave an invisible bond between the railing and the deck. Works like a charm, just don't over-do it and remove only the excess glue.

With the Arado 196 painted and in place, moved on to the ship's boats. The molded on detail is very good, but will go ahead and use the photo etch provided. The 2 boats on the right have the photo etch attached while the others need surgery before the photo etch.

I have a book coming in the mail to help me with the rigging. Could not find internet examples of the rigging sufficient for me to rig it.

IMG_2167.thumb.jpg.8f224bd76336f2bf16a50bea7f778977.jpgIMG_2168.thumb.jpg.8bc3fbdf8754832c1d25e2e4aaec7414.jpgIMG_2167.thumb.jpg.afd93fe5b266f663916f481afbe9f01a.jpgIMG_2168.thumb.jpg.daae1a246d6395560fcaaed56078d633.jpgIMG_2169.thumb.jpg.c0343623ad9d803c60739e075eeb8e5e.jpgIMG_2170.thumb.jpg.f8ec3992ebc675b27ee114baea4765d0.jpg

But look at that plane   - seriously  Fantastic work  Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Absolutely Awesome!!

I think that this could be interpreted as a "Master Class." (Am I wrong?)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

12 hours ago, CDW said:

I think I've reached my outer limit at 1:700 scale.

You mean you are not going to try your hand at 1/1200?

Fantastic work Craig there is no way looking at the pictures that this build is not 1/350 or even bigger!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

With the ship's boats and life rafts in place, going to give the model a pause until my Scharnhorst reference book arrives. Can't do the rigging without some reference material. Should have had the reference book from the beginning. 🙂 Need to make that a habit with these ship models because I have never been one to collect reference books of any kind.

IMG_2181.thumb.jpg.74153cb4e0d29752372ca970eaa9a722.jpgIMG_2182.thumb.jpg.caba2a777ebf8eb4e92cebca22c0745d.jpgIMG_2183.thumb.jpg.c21469f034e0b543a6817e9e48e90785.jpg

1 hour ago, CDW said:

With the ship's boats and life rafts in place, going to give the model a pause until my Scharnhorst reference book arrives. Can't do the rigging without some reference material. Should have had the reference book from the beginning. 🙂 Need to make that a habit with these ship models because I have never been one to collect reference books of any kind.

IMG_2181.thumb.jpg.74153cb4e0d29752372ca970eaa9a722.jpgIMG_2182.thumb.jpg.caba2a777ebf8eb4e92cebca22c0745d.jpgIMG_2183.thumb.jpg.c21469f034e0b543a6817e9e48e90785.jpg

Amazing work mate  - love everything about  it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 hours ago, CDW said:

because I have never been one to collect reference books of any kind.

I have been the complete opposite. Whether it has been aircraft, ships, or race cars, my reference library has been even larger than the subject I was interested in at the time. While I pretty much lost everything in my divorce a little over forty years ago it has still managed to build up to hundreds of books again. Unfortunately since my last move ten years ago, most of them are still in boxes with no place to put them out for quick excess. I not only could use a model room, I could fill a library room as well. I was going to do all those kinds of things when the kids grew up and moved out, but somehow we kept getting new kids and it never happened.   

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Good evening Sir,

I am in awe at the detail, attention to detail and the execution!!

Cheers and Regards,

HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

don't feel bad Craig........I work from very few reference books as well.  I depend mostly on pictures and stuff from the net.  the one big bugger of it all,  is that a lot of the pictures are black n white.  she's look'in really good........you did a great job!  this one is sort of on my bucket list,  since most of the ships I've done in the past are American warships.......next to nothing on other nationalities.   very good idea concerning the rigging.......I was never good with it.

look'in forward seeing her finished! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Scharnhorst 1940 by CDW - Flyhawk - 1:700 Scale - PLASTIC