Hello. I am not all that new to modeling or woodworking for that matter, but I am now retired and decided to take up a new hobby. I have always loved tall ships and admired their models so I decided to try one myself. I have been a professional musician for decades, owned a computer repair shop for years, taught myself lampworking (solid glass work) and been a professional artist (graphite) One of my drawings is on the cover of a book at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M65CKO0/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 Hopefully a link like that is allowed here ... I only share that to show I have an eye for details. I am a moderator at an art site teaching drawing so I am comfortable with WIPs (works in progress) which you call logs on this site. In any case, I am ready to start my first wooden ship model. To that end I purchased Model Shipways' USS Syren and have been carefully reading the instructions by Chuck as well as going over the logs here. Some unbelievable work!! I can only hope to complete the kit but not to have skill on the level you guys do ... I will undoubtedly need assistance along the way so I hope to interact with some of you.

Ken

Edited by SparrowHawk7

Hello Ken, welcome to MSW. It is a great place, I look forward to seeing your Syren.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Ken, welcome to MSW. I look forward to seeing your Syren build. MSW members are very helpful, anytime you need assistance, just ask. 

Thanks guys. You are a very welcoming group. I started drawing when I was about 50 or so and quickly interacted with many artists - an experience I found very daunting. In art, you find a great many people who keep their techniques close to the vest, so to speak, and are reticent to share with anyone, let alone newbies. I found initially, anyway, that I had to teach myself how to do things which ended up meaning I draw somewhat differently than most. I am not the least bit shy so I pestered those more skilled than myself and eventually discovered things I wanted to know. That is something I have noticed in reading the logs here - everyone is very open about answering questions concerning how something was done which is very refreshing. I do the same thing in my teaching elsewhere because information can be hard to come by. Drawing, for instance, is a good deal more than picking up a pencil and making marks on paper. Layering, for instance, is crucial but nobody talks much about that as if it is some great secret. It also requires tremendous patience - a typical drawing for me will take a minimum of 120 hours. Most people need to develop that skill from my experience. But the fact is that no matter how much of my techniques I might teach someone, they will still never draw exactly as I do - nor I as they do. We are all unique with our own gifts so being selfish about sharing really makes no sense to me at all.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I am pleased to be here among such generous people and feel somewhat at home because you are all artists as well - just working in a different media than I am used to. I spend a lot of time playing with doctors these days so time can get away from me - and I have some trouble getting around as I lost a leg so am wheelchair bound but the intention is to make a start on the Syren shortly so I expect to start a build log. You will find I am not the least bit shy about sharing errors and mistakes - we all make them. Others may learn from mine and I've enjoyed reading logs where others went astray for whatever reasons. Thank you for your warm welcome.

Ken

Edited by SparrowHawk7

Welcome to MSW, Ken.  I think you'll like model ship work and MSW.  There really are no secrets it seems but a lack of knowledge on the part of the those who need to ask questions.   One of the keys about a log is that we do share our failures as well as our triumphs.  

I hope you enjoy the build, as that's most important and it should be relaxing not filled with stress.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Warm welcome to MSW Ken.  LOVE your art work and with your eye for detail, you should do very well with Syren.   LOTS of help to be had here from the membership which incudes artists   that can relate to you and your endeavor.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome Ken!

I am a new member and am drinking it all in myself too. Some amazing work here! I will be curious to see what approach you take to your models. In the same way that your cat drawing is an extraordinarily realistic representation of the subject (but in a different medium), I am sure you have found models here that are exquisitely accurate renderings of their subject. I have found that for me, some of the most accurate models here have less of the "feel" of the actual ships than other models made with less skill but more of an intangible quality that evokes the actual craft themselves. Not that one is better than the other; it's just that I am drawn towards the models that evoke that feeling. A fascinating topic I am trying to learn more about, and of which I am sure you have opinions!

Michael

Welcome to Model Ship World Ken.  It must be an honor to have your drawing on the cover of a book that features works from top artists.  I am looking forward to seeing your work on your Syren.  With your artistic talent and Chuck's artistic talent, your Syren should turn out to be an exceptional model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me