HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

awesome!  simply awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you very much Popeye,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hey Nils, just fantastic work.  I hope I can do half as well when I start rigging and putting the sails on my VOC ship.

Question though.  Where did you buy that small blow torch for hard soldering?  The one I have is about twice if not more, that size.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet,

the little tourch was bought at the "Bauhaus" crafter chain, but I also saw it at Amazon, see link....

http://www.amazon.de/Rothenberger-Pocket-Torch-Piezo/dp/B002YHA8MW/ref=sr_1_1/280-6113016-5205109?ie=UTF8&qid=1429170994&sr=8-1&keywords=rothenberger+brenner

My main application is first of all for soft soldering brass sheet made structures whereby I clip off a small piece of soft solder wire, lay it in the corner of the metal connection surfaces and heat the whole structure with the flame.....

and secondly for melting on the polyester thread rigging line ends (thinning out between two fingers) for sheaving through the mini block sheave holes.

I contacted the original maker, Rothenberger, because the usage  temp was given with 450° C if they can confirm usage for fine silver soldering. They`ll send me a small piece of flux-coated silver solder wire, and I`ll give it an actual try.

If I hold a steel wire end (appr. 1,5 - 2 mm) in the flame end it becomes cherry red hot, which normaly would be OK for silver soldering small parts.

I`ll let you know asap how the outcome is Piet

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Update

Build log part 84....

All sails are rigged on, at the moment clearing the lines to the belaying points

Nils

post-3445-0-57647300-1429438296_thumb.jpg

already thinking of the size of the glass case

post-3445-0-69639300-1429438301_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-99425000-1429438419_thumb.jpg

all the port-bow sprit related operating yard- and sail lines are belayed to the appropriate pins at the port bow bulwark. Stb. side will be likewise

post-3445-0-72894400-1429438426_thumb.jpg

dry-fitting the anchors to the fore port channel

post-3445-0-33421200-1429438447_thumb.jpg

as long as I´m working from the weather side the leeward lines are kept slightly taught by the weight of the pegs

post-3445-0-61531100-1429438453_thumb.jpg

belaying the lines from this side, before the yards are braced to the other side

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

Simply amazing work......and you're very close to the end of your journey (almost 2 years in the making).

Great tips with the mini blow torch....I've used them along with irons for many years on other types of models.

Thanks for the kind words on my build.....and some day I'll get to rigging it  :)

Boyd

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

your gonna need a BIG case...........holy cow!    she's a beauty Nils..........no bones about it!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Many thanks for your nice appreciatians and comments

to Patrick, Carl, Boyd, Popeye, and all the recent likes......

Patrick,

yes, I guess its turning in on the final run, I`ll have to order some more blocks though....

Carl,

you`re not alone with the feeling that the ship is larger, but please be assured its strictly scale 1:64, and sowith not larger that the kit based models here at MSW

Boyd,

before I began, I once saw a model of the "Bounty", partialy unplanked with view into the ship. The fact that the model was carrying a full set of sails impressed me so much, that I knew what I was looking for with the Swan Class

Popeye,

thanks for your word, the case will be appr. the size of the one for the "Gorch Fock"

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wow Nils, The only thing that I would add to everyone else is Stunningly Beautiful

Best Regards,

Pete 

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Many thanks to Crackers, Bob (Rafine), and Pete48, and all the likes,

Crackers,

nice words, much appreciated

Bob, (Rafine)

I`m glad you like it, many thanks

Pete48

thank you very much, a nice comment...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Piet,

the little tourch was bought at the "Bauhaus" crafter chain, but I also saw it at Amazon, see link....

http://www.amazon.de/Rothenberger-Pocket-Torch-Piezo/dp/B002YHA8MW/ref=sr_1_1/280-6113016-5205109?ie=UTF8&qid=1429170994&sr=8-1&keywords=rothenberger+brenner

My main application is first of all for soft soldering brass sheet made structures whereby I clip off a small piece of soft solder wire, lay it in the corner of the metal connection surfaces and heat the whole structure with the flame.....

and secondly for melting on the polyester thread rigging line ends (thinning out between two fingers) for sheaving through the mini block sheave holes.

I contacted the original maker, Rothenberger, because the usage  temp was given with 450° C if they can confirm usage for fine silver soldering. They`ll send me a small piece of flux-coated silver solder wire, and I`ll give it an actual try.

If I hold a steel wire end (appr. 1,5 - 2 mm) in the flame end it becomes cherry red hot, which normaly would be OK for silver soldering small parts.

I`ll let you know asap how the outcome is Piet

Nils

Hi Piet,

upon request the "Rothenberger" Company kindly submitted a small sample of their flux mantled silver solder rod # 35606 with which I today made a small T-shaped connection probe with Brass sheet bits, 0,4 mm thick and with the forestanding little blow tourch. It works well, but I trust its limited to small joints only, as the total mass of larger hard solderings would probably draw too much heat.

cheers, Nils

post-3445-0-06538900-1429618271_thumb.jpg

a little bit of solder rod next to the metallic clean contact surface, and the broken off flux remains as well

post-3445-0-88914200-1429618274_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-16522700-1429618277_thumb.jpg

heat up the to be joined parts until the flux flusches and provides its oxyde prevention shield. When the Hard solder creeps into the gap, hold the flame another 10 - 15 seconds, and let cool off on air

post-3445-0-11440700-1429618279_thumb.jpg

clean the joint, a fine concave silvery solder-line is the result...

post-3445-0-59826300-1429618280_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Lawrence,

thanks for dropping in and catching up, I`m glad you like it. In the moment there are some lines for which I`m trying out the best functional rigging solution, also I ran out of blocks, but order is placed with Chuck`s shop already.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils, thanks for the info on the torch and the URL for Amazon.  I'll take a look and see if Amazon in the USA sels these torches.  The shipping from Germany may very well be prohibitive.  

In one of my previous lives I was a master welder with oxy acetylene and must still have a mini welding torch somewhere with very small tips.  No, I'm not going to buy oxy and acetylene tanks  :o

I like the idea of the silver rods, that's close to what I used to do with brass brazing.  Love that kind of work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Nils -- After being away for a few days (I've got workers in my house putting in a new bathroom right next to my study), I've finally gotten to see the latest photos of your glorious build.  Those sails just look resplendent, magnificent!  This is truly a memorable build!

Bravo!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Martin,

many thanks for your Kind appreciative words, I`m happy that you like the model.

Hopefuly the workers did a good Job and your new bathroom is nice, I also have a bathroom right next to my Hobby room

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Still impressed !!!!

And amazed

And speechless

And breathless

With my jaws still down

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Hey Nenad,

you are flattering me, but I`m glad the shipmodel finds your interest. Thanks a lot for dropping in and catching up and your appreciation, all the best for a further good Progress with your CS. I like the pig stays you built recently, I made some for my "Pamir" model as well

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update status 23rd April 2015

Build log part 85

the port side running rigging is nearly complete. except for braces, bow lines, sheets and tacks of the lower large square- sails and likewise for the two spritboom sails. Also all the coil ends to the lines have to be put on the pins as well.......

Nils

post-3445-0-96960100-1429794333_thumb.jpg

the two bowsprit sails also have cluelines, buntlines, and the yards bear lifts and braces. The blue rubberband is just preliminary, to position the yard

post-3445-0-59150000-1429794328_thumb.jpg

the operating lines go to the port side bow pinrail at the bulwark, Stb side will be likewise

post-3445-0-28952900-1429794300_thumb.jpg

lines and blocks for topsail and topgallant sail

post-3445-0-13953700-1429794305_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-99053900-1429794308_thumb.jpg

most of the lines going down to deck are lead through blocks to their belaying points. There are 28 shroud cleats mounted per ship side

post-3445-0-26725500-1429794314_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-56795500-1429794318_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-34220400-1429794323_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-56946900-1429795276_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

so much to see Nils....and so nicely done.   in the states here,  we used to have a hobby {not sure if it's still around} called string art......this ship is definitely a masterpiece!   the beauty and detail in your rigging is superb!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Nils!

Your beauty deserves to be put on display in a Museum where it can be admired by those in awe of your skills and studied by scholars of maritime history and sailing ship history and practices. Yep. It's that good!

All the best

Patrick

Hi Nils, I agree with Patrick and all the others who posted , Stunningly Beautiful

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Many thanks Popeye, Patrick and Pete, and all the "likes"

Popeye,

I`m not familiar with the term "stringart".....

Thanks for your nice comment

Patrick,

nice words, well appreciated, HMS Pegasus preferably shall be decorating my  workroom, but we have a little local Museum here, time comes who knows...

Pete,

its a nice comment of yours, thanks very much, Im happy it is liked

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

28 shroud cleats!  wow!

Thanks Martin,

The shroud cleats are made quite simple, like I had shown earlier in this log. I thought about something in wood, but that would have been too prominent in this scale

Nils

post-3445-0-86509800-1429887511_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-36421100-1429887503_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-88610000-1429887507_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,

I haven't been saying much as I've run out of words...  but your model is incredible and wonderful.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)