HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

Jim,

welcome aboard, thanks for looking in and for your nice words, glad that you like this build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Crackers, the red diagonal is the Irish Saltire which was added to the union flag in 1801,my date of 1805 was incorrect. My apologies for getting that date wrong. Nils has the correct flag for the time of the HMS Pegasus.

Dave  :dancetl6:

Thanks for your input Dave,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Build log part 92

Update

all 3 yards and sails of the main mast are now braced to appr. 45°

for the main course the sheets and tack-lines are also put on. The mizzen sails are already permanently set to the wind

Nils

post-3445-0-97520500-1449676568_thumb.jpg

view from weather side

post-3445-0-60536200-1449676572_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-98587500-1449676575_thumb.jpg

view from leeward side. Main course sheet and tack-line attached to sail sheet block

post-3445-0-51925800-1449676578_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-02723800-1449676581_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-05045600-1449676602_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-57946100-1449676604_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

What a wonderful museum model you have.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you very much Bob,

appreciate your nice comment, The foremast with it`s Yards and sails will be treated likewise next

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Lovely. However, the ensign staff and flag were struck when under sail: that mizzen sail and boom swinging across would wipe it out! Under sail the ensign would fly from the gaff peak instead.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks Druxey,

do you mean that the footpoint of the ensign hoist line should be moved near to the end of the Driver boom ?

(I borrowed this pic from the web)

Nils

post-3445-0-90314700-1449688603_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Wonderful Picture Crackers,

thanks for sharing.....,

well, the way of flying the ensign is exactly as I have done it, from te peak to a point on deck,  or ?

I understood that Druxey meant the drive boom would possibly nock it away, when changing wind sides

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks very much Patrick,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update

all braces are now on, sheets ad tacks of the main courses, the starboard anchor rigging, additional coilings to belaying points, and a correction to the ensign staff line (hoistline shifted to leeward side of the spanker sail on deck), with thanks to Druxey and Crackers for their kind comments.....

Nils

post-3445-0-29442100-1449924406_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-96455200-1449922552_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-68622200-1449922545_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-49632300-1449922548_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-45704800-1449922550_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-71633400-1449922555_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-94938600-1449924420_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Just found this build over the past week or so...truly beautiful.

I especially like the way the sails look.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Beautiful work Nils  :)

Can you direct me to the construction process for your Quarter Gallery?

Thanks, and you continue to inspire all of us  :)

Hi Boyd;

for the quartergallery please ref. to my posts # 22,  #34, #35

regards, Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Just found this build over the past week or so...truly beautiful.

I especially like the way the sails look.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Many thanks Nigel,

for you nice comment, 18 sails here, I had some initial experience with sewing my tallship`s sails

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Interesting discussion.  I do not actually see an ensign staff on Nils model.  What am I missing?  The driver boom does appear to be below the top of the lantern, however.

This has made me take a closer look at two paintings I have by Derek Gardner "Defence" and "Orion".  Both are under sail with the red ensign flying from a staff - but... I note neither ship has a driver boom, although Defence has a loose spanker sheeted below the rail.  The Defence painting also includes a frigate under sail with the ensign flying from the gaff peak.  Although I have been staring at these paintings over my desk for 25 years, I have never noticed this.

Of course, even without the staff, there are obstructions for the boom, including the ensign halliardand the leeward gaff vang.  I guess these would be cast loose before reversing the boom?  Helpful comments from old salts welcome.

Ed

Interesting discussion.  I do not actually see an ensign staff on Nils model.  What am I missing?  The driver boom does appear to be below the top of the lantern, however.

This has made me take a closer look at two paintings I have by Derek Gardner "Defence" and "Orion".  Both are under sail with the red ensign flying from a staff - but... I note neither ship has a driver boom, although Defence has a loose spanker sheeted below the rail.  The Defence painting also includes a frigate under sail with the ensign flying from the gaff peak.  Although I have been staring at these paintings over my desk for 25 years, I have never noticed this.

Of course, even without the staff, there are obstructions for the boom, including the ensign halliardand the leeward gaff vang.  I guess these would be cast loose before reversing the boom?  Helpful comments from old salts welcome.

Ed

Ed,

Oh, oh,... never thought there would be a discussion about this. Have now crossed out the word "staff" and replaced by "line"  to avoid misunderstandings.

the drive boom of course swings clear above the lantern....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Sorry, Nils.  I know well that "oh,oh" feeling after reading some comments.  Glad to hear I was wrong about the boom and the lantern.  My last comment was a general one and not related to your model.  In thinking about that some more, I guess the gaff would be swung to leeward taking the vangs further outboard, out of the way of the driver boom as it swung to that side.  This would take the ensign halliard with it.  Anyway, it would be easy to cast that line loose and adjust.  Sorry for all this - I am very focused on rigging these days - and the many questions it raises..

By the way, if I didn't say it, the model is beautifully done - as is all your work.

Ed.  

Beautiful, as always.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Many thanks for your kind words Ed,

it`s been quite some finger-acrobatic to get all those lines guided and belayed properly. The braced yards and sails move the lines into positions that require different lengths and angles, and still the belaying points have to be symetrical to the ships length-axis. It seems that this type of square-rigger ca`nt brace more than about 45°, without the yards fouling the shrouds in hight of the catharpins "waist" and even with appropriate set truss pendants.

I know from the rigging of my tallships (probably also like the clipper you are doing) that the more "modern" yard-racks, due to their geometry, allow far sharper bracing, whereby the yards nearly move round the shrouds and finaly are limited against the backstays. It is fun and challenge in rigging a ship with braced yards, but this way one learns and understands the function of every line concerned better. As you mentioned, you`re focused on rigging these days.......      

Nils                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful, as always.

Bob

Thank you very much Bob,

still hoping and curiously waiting for your "Pequod" progress...... :rolleyes:

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

... it`s been quite some finger-acrobatic ....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

!!!!!

Right words for your masterpiece !!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Many thanks Nenad,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 93

Update

brought in the spare spars (rough shaped) for the boat`s rest, a little asymetric offset to port side, so that the stb place on the gallow has place for taking up other items as well

Nils

post-3445-0-37729100-1450024863_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-14113500-1450024866_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13267200-1450024868_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-13311300-1450024870_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Marvelous work Nils!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks for your appreciative word Piet,

and all otheres for their "likes" on the recently posted updates

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thats right Patrick,

thanks for your word,

I`ll do the anchor sticks and rig and put on the port side anchors the next days, and then  study and have a look at the bow-lines rigging for the square sails, their lines and belaying points. Lennarth Peterson`s "Period Ship Models" is a good help for doing so

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 94

COMPLETE

This post rounds up and completes the 29 months build duration of my HMS Pegasus in scale 1:64.

After putting on rudder chains, all bow-lines with their bridles to the squaresails, and appropriate rigging, the crew and some naval infantry men shipped in today to take over an interception and patrol mission in the northern Atlantic. Perhaps there will still be anchor buoys fitted to the lower fore-shrouds....

Its been much fun to do this build and especially it`s extensive rigging with all those tiny blocks, but now she is a nice sight with all those sails and pushing her wake, riding on starboard bow with braced sails. Putting on nearly all lines the actual ship had, it was a good lesson in rigging. Next  week I`ll put the final pictures in my Gallery.

Now its time to do the glass display case for dust protection.

Due to the modification of the 12 sheet Amati plan set, and building it from scratch (no kit) there are :  the large open port side, the half planked decks, the interior decks and the visible inside fitting out. The POB scratch built ship`s boat is an extra, and the access to the forecastle is by a seperate stair / ladderway .

Many thanks to all that visited this build along the ride from beginning on, and so many thanks to all comments and appreciations, and "likes", it has been a pleasure and was very encouraging for me

here are the first 10 of appr. 20 final pics......

Enjoy the pictures

Nils

post-3445-0-25674800-1450464943_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-78767600-1450464948_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-51104300-1450464952_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-01252100-1450464957_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-48611300-1450464962_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-70644800-1450464967_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-35829200-1450464971_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-93071000-1450464976_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-57280700-1450464980_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-65295400-1450464985_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed