New Member from Western Washington State

It was nice to find this site. Not too many in our craft anymore. I am retired from military flying and doing marine consulting on submersible vessel builds, and  living on a small lake near the town of Shelton Washington. I build model ships, RC airplanes and playing the trumpet. My last model was a 1:32 scale live steam snag boat of the U.S Army Corps of Engineers W.T. Preston. It was a four and a half year project capturing the many workings of the 163-foot ship. Two scale model double-action steam engines drive the model through pitman arms as in the full-size vessel. She is 63-inches long.  All steam plant functions are automated, including a boiler feed water system, boiler pressure regulator, automatic CO2 fire suppression system and quick shut-off fuel valve. I also built a 1:14 scale working model of a WW2 Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat powered by 3, 900 series 18-volt electric motors running on 3 ESCs. Working torpedos and operational depth-charges complete the model.   I am enjoying the high quality of craftsmanship displayed here. I have a rather extensive build log to be found on RC Groups under Scale Ships- W.T. Preston Build. The build garnered the attention of a large following with over 203,000 views to date. Thanks for adding me to your group.

ASC_0006.jpeg

Hello Michael and welcome!

My sister lives in Shelton. Very pretty area.

Do you ever get over to the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend? I had a table set up for my Japanese boat models there a couple years ago. Good chance I'll be there again this Fall.

That's a nice looking model – hope to see more about it. 

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Warm Welcome to MSW, we have many members from our area. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Michael, welcome to MSW. I look forward to you starting a build log at some point in the future. 

Welcome Mike

In case you are interested we, (People here in the PNW) also have a very active RC model ship club in the area. I helped found it a little over 40 years ago and it is still very active. It has been only partly active over the last year as many clubs have been with just online meetings and a few fun floats here and there. You may want to contact Robert Osmond, the current president, (And fellow steam modeler) about upcoming events and activities.

https://shipmodelers.com/index.html

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Welcome to MSW, Michael.That's a very nice-looking vessel - I have nothing but respect for people who build live-steam models.

Do you have another project on the go? If you have, it'd be great if you started a build log. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Welcome Mike from a Puyallup modeler.

I would love to see more pictures of the W.T. Preston!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Welcome Mike from a Graham modeler......

The GPNW is well represented here.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"